Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2010, 02:35 PM   #1

Pulling a Salem 26TBUD with a Ford Expedition

Hi Folks - Newbie here to the RV world. Can someone help me answer some basic questions please?

1) Looking at a Salem 26TBUD - I have a Ford Expedition with tow package. Is this a sufficent vehicle to pull this trailer? Would I need to bolster the rear suspension with heavy duty shocks, and springs?

2) The trailer in question has a GVWR of 7800 lbs - and 5880 "dry", this means that if I pull the trailer filled with water it's 7800lbs and empty its 5880lbs?

Anyone's insight is greatly appreciated.

RJ from Acton Ontario
RJ_Acton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:50 PM   #2
Site Team

this needs to be moved to Towing.

here's the specs:
Dry Hitch Weight 805 lb. (365 kg )
Unloaded Vehicle Weight 5,880 lb. (2,667 kg )
GVWR 7,805 lb. (3,540 kg )
Cargo Carrying Capacity 1,887 lb. (856 kg )
Exterior Length 28 ft. 9 in. (8.8 m)

the useless "dry" tongue weight is already over 800lbs.
with the options, battery, propane and cargo, it'll be closer to 1,000lbs., which may be over the tongue capacity of the Expy.
the length is nearly 29'.
with the weight of the options and battery, the actual weight will be around 6300-6400lbs.
that'll be without water, propane and cargo.

it'll be near the limits of the Expy.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:40 PM   #3

The dry weight means no water in any tanks, no camping gear, no food, no clothing, etc... It also does not include filled propane tanks or any options added to the trailer.

The GVWR is how much the tt can weigh after everything is losded, go over that weight and you need to take some things out.

I don't know the specs on your Expy (year, engine size, rear end ratio, towing capacity, etc...), so I don't know if it can handle the tt or not.

The '09 Towing Guide I have states;
Expedition; WD Tow Capacity - 9,200, Max Tongue Weight - 920
Expedition EL; WD Tow Capacity 8,900, Max Tongue Weight - 890

Hope this helps.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:00 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The wheelbase of the EL is listed at 131", and the standard wheelbase of the Expy is listed as 119". Even with the EL @ 131", the total maximum trailer length should be in the neighborhood of 26'. As far as length, the EL might tow it decent with an integrated WDH/sway system, but not the shorter wheelbased Expy.

As others said, really check the stats of the hitch. There should be a sticker on the hitch with maximum weight carrying and weight distributing loads.

You are going to probably be at the maximum of several weights and lengths......not the best towing situation.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:04 PM   #5
Salem 26TBSS

I have the 26TBSS which is similar to the 26TBUD. My tow vehicle is a 2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab K-1500. Max combined weight for me is 13,000# and I have the 1000# Equal-i-izer hitch. My last measured combined weight with kids, wife, stuff, fuel + me in the truck was 12,620# (i.e. I'm maxed out). The GMC allows for 7,400# towing. I have the same empty weight as you on my 26TBSS.

You need to find your GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) for your vehicle, then go to a truck stop and have your vehicle weighed w/ full tank of gas + you, then figure another 1000# for your kids, clothes, food, beer, wife, surfboards, bikes, Nintendos, booze, ice + cooler, etc. and the remaining capacity left over is the allowable dry weight of the trailer. This will tell you if you have 5,880# of towing capacity left or not. I'm not a Ford guy but they usually have more towing capacity than GM/Dodge, so you might luck out. At best it looks like a max weight setup.....

Mike D
mdoerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:26 PM   #6

I just stumbled across this thread, it interest me because I was just in a situation where I was pulling a Salem 2012 26tbud with my 1997 Expedition. I had air bags installed in the rear springs to help with weight. All seemed good for my first pull from the dealer. To my surprise my 4.6 motor had a difficult time accel to speed. Even when I was able to get up to speed it was difficult to maintain. It practically took about half pedal to get the engine up to speed.

About a week later I tried to pull the trailer over a fairly steep bridge located in southern MD. It was like the little engine that could. I entered the bottom of the bridge about 45 mph and by the time I was at the top my foot was on the floor and I was down to 30 mph. I knew at this time I had to change this in my favor. I went out and got a Ford 250 diesel. There is no problem crossing the bridge anymore. It has ample power for sure.
ezawacki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
26tbud