Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2013, 03:15 PM   #1

Quilts

Just purchased our first RV camper trailer, Forest River Grey Wolf. Will be heading for Amish country in Berlin, OH. Any quilters out there who would be willing to share RV experiences?
sclayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:24 PM   #2

When you going? We are going to be at Evergreen campground in Dundee June 17-20.
roanmountaincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:15 PM   #3

Quilts

We will be taking our travel trailer to an RV park in Berlin, OH on May 28th. First outing with our new Cherokee Grey Wolf. Excited to be on the road and to visit Millersburg, OH.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:34 PM   #4

I believe that they may be many quilters on the road. My wife is one who would not travel without her "Feather weight" and a project. As a matter of fact she is currently in the trailer sewing in Milan, OH.
gbpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #5
kmr
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclayton View Post
Just purchased our first RV camper trailer, Forest River Grey Wolf. Will be heading for Amish country in Berlin, OH. Any quilters out there who would be willing to share RV experiences?
If, by chance, you're planning to attend the rally at Goshen (starting this Sunday!), my wife Margaret (who is an avid quilter) will be hosting a workshop to discuss "Sewing and Quilting In Your Rolling Home." Hope you can make it!

Our economic stimulus package:
2012 Flagstaff 8528RKWS
2012 Ford F-150 EcoBoost (3.5L V6!)
kmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:20 PM   #6
NELA

Years ago, when the young'uns went to bed early I did tons of sewing. I drafted graphs for every quilt pattern I could find, and cross stitched them onto 14 count cross stitch fabric squares. I've said that eventually I'll work those into a quilt. (sigh) I have 'em sealed in a vacuum bag so they don't yellow with age.

I even made my ex a fully tailored tuxedo, full lining, bound buttonholes and all. Again, that was when my first son was tiny and slept a lot.

In high school I made every thing I wore. Mom had a huge box of fabric in a closet, and a drawer full of thread, buttons and zippers of every color imaginable. If I wanted something new I simply went to that big box, grabbed some fabric, got the buttons or zipper, and thread, then went to another huge drawer where all the patterns were stored. Two days later I had a new outfit.

Those were the days. Still have my Singer Golden Touch N Sew. Still got all the wheel thingies (can't remember what they're called) that you use for darning and making all the fancy stitches. Actually dragged it out this week to mend a skort I wanna wear this weekend.

Ahhhh the memories.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:15 AM   #7

I mostly sew clothes for my girls. I have friends who quilt and that looks so tedious. Although, after all the ruffles I've sewn, perhaps that would be a breeze. LOL.

I tend to just take my knitting when traveling. Would be hard to fit a sewing machine in my Mini Lite.

2014 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

previous owner of
2014 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306
dkb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:23 AM   #8
Phat Phrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERmit View Post
Years ago, when the young'uns went to bed early I did tons of sewing. I drafted graphs for every quilt pattern I could find, and cross stitched them onto 14 count cross stitch fabric squares. I've said that eventually I'll work those into a quilt. (sigh) I have 'em sealed in a vacuum bag so they don't yellow with age.

I even made my ex a fully tailored tuxedo, full lining, bound buttonholes and all. Again, that was when my first son was tiny and slept a lot.

In high school I made every thing I wore. Mom had a huge box of fabric in a closet, and a drawer full of thread, buttons and zippers of every color imaginable. If I wanted something new I simply went to that big box, grabbed some fabric, got the buttons or zipper, and thread, then went to another huge drawer where all the patterns were stored. Two days later I had a new outfit.

Those were the days. Still have my Singer Golden Touch N Sew. Still got all the wheel thingies (can't remember what they're called) that you use for darning and making all the fancy stitches. Actually dragged it out this week to mend a skort I wanna wear this weekend.

Ahhhh the memories.
Wow I am so impressed by people who can sew like that! I have a girlfriend in Australia, and when she came to America, she made shirts, skirts, etc all by hand. No machine.....I can barley sew a hem! I always wished I could sew! When I was in high school we had to sew a simple skirt with a zipper.....all I remember was having to rip it out over and over! I was so frustrated that I ended up hating to sew! The teacher was not very supportive and seemed to have no patience for girls that didn't catch on right away! My sister can sew, quilt, crochet, knit....but I missed the gene pool on that!
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:25 AM   #9

My only frustration is I am SLOW. My goal was to make two dresses and one outfit for each girl this summer. I just barely finished the second dress and the rest of the fabric sits there. Granted, I work full time plus my mom job, but I'm still painfully slow.

previous owner of
Old 08-02-2013, 09:26 AM   #10

I guess when I retire, I can sew for my future grandkids. LOL.

previous owner of
Old 08-03-2013, 07:00 AM   #11

DW is an avid quilter. She always has a couple of projects going. If we go for a long weekend - it is some hand work. When we head out for the winter the portable machine comes along - along with multiple projects. When we return from our warm winters, she will have several ready to go into her New Joy quilt frame for quilting.

Where in Berlin did you go, sclayton?
JJnLilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:12 PM   #12

Berlin OH

We stayed at Berlin RV Park & Campground and had an excellent experience. New park and very clean. Between Millersburg and Berlin. Check berlinrvpark.com Nice to hear about your wife's quilt projects. I just finished a lap quilt for my 90 yr. old mother-in-law. However, I have not yet worked on any quilts in our Grey Wolf camper yet. Too busy keeping tabs on our nosy SharPei puppy!
Old 08-04-2013, 06:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmr View Post
If, by chance, you're planning to attend the rally at Goshen (starting this Sunday!), my wife Margaret (who is an avid quilter) will be hosting a workshop to discuss "Sewing and Quilting In Your Rolling Home." Hope you can make it!
Sorry I missed the workshop. Any future dates scheduled for this topic? Sounds very interesting.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #14

We saw them as they constructed that park. We had previously stayed at either Evergreen of Senic Hills. DW is starting a new one with 2" blocks...lots of cutting.
JJnLilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:10 PM   #15
kmr
Ken

Quote:
Sorry I missed the workshop. Any future dates scheduled for this topic? Sounds very interesting.
The workshop is just now winding down. Future dates? If you happen to cross paths with us on our way out to, or back from, Colorado, I'm sure Margaret would love to talk to you about her hobby!

Our economic stimulus package:
2012 Flagstaff 8528RKWS
2012 Ford F-150 EcoBoost (3.5L V6!)
kmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:16 PM   #16

quilts

Quote:
The first thing I out in my motorhome was my Bernina 135 (travel one) and quilting supplies-trying to precut etc at home...But the flip up counter in my sunseeker is perfect working height for cutting pressing etc
quiltrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post

Ahhhh the memories.
My mom had the same machine. I believe the discs were called "cams".
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote