Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2015, 12:00 PM   #1
Site Team

Reality TV: RV shopping

I realize there isn't a lot of actual "reality" in reality TV but my wife and I happened to catch a marathon of some show where they followed people who were looking to purchase a new RV.

They pretty much all follow the same formula. They give a budget and a list of "must-haves" and the salesman shows them exactly 3 RVs. Each one has pros and cons and then at the end of the show, they pick the one they like best.

After watching 4 or 5 shows in a row, I was pretty amazed at how often the salesman could find an RV within a few thousand dollars of their budget. One couple wanted an RV for around $100,000. So that's what they showed. Another couple wanted one for around $225,000. So that's what they got. I honestly couldn't tell the difference between the cheaper ones and the more expensive ones. Although a couple of the more expensive ones didn't even have LED lighting.

I thought a few times they really had to reach to find a problem with them. One lady didn't like the feel of the carpet. Another didn't like the way the drawer handles looked. One didn't like the way the couch folded out.

Having gone through it a few times myself just makes me notice how horribly fake the show is. They usually show the people a few months down the road with the RV they purchased so apparently they were able to live with the "cons" of that particular one.

Somehow we were lucky enough to buy one that doesn't have anything we don't like about it.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:15 PM   #2
Citrus County, Fl.

I have seen the show a few times also. Not sure how up to date it is. It amazes me they took one off the lot when they could have ordered one exactly how they wanted it.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:24 PM   #3

I like when they find one they really like, but it is WAY above their budget. The salesman says "we can make it work for you" and they somehow get it for 10 or 20 thousand less......

If I learned anything from that show, it would be to reinforce that they can come way down from the prices they ask
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:29 PM   #4

It's TV folks what do you expect!

In my humble opinion they have already purchased their RV unit that they want. Now the show is going to highlight the pro's and con's of each unit that is written by some staffer who does not understand the RV trailers at all. Have you every notice that the producers stay away from the technical side of things and just focus on the glitz. Such as in one episodes the 5er has a residential refrigerator in the trailer and nothing was mention about the inverter required to power the refrigerator when not connected to shore power! They just left that feature out and moved on to a dual source refrigerator.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:30 PM   #5

And the one about the couple buying a 5th wheel....the EDGE....and showed them driving off in it when the wheels on the passenger did not match!
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:21 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
I like when they find one they really like, but it is WAY above their budget. The salesman says "we can make it work for you" and they somehow get it for 10 or 20 thousand less......

If I learned anything from that show, it would be to reinforce that they can come way down from the prices they ask
I assume the prices they are quoting are either completely made up or the simply the MSRP. A couple of times the people ended up buying the same model trailer they looked at but a year older.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:11 PM   #7

I have also seen that TV show a number of times and I do enjoy it.
It is TV and I like it when the guess the price.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:12 PM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
I thought a few times they really had to reach to find a problem with them. One lady didn't like the feel of the carpet. Another didn't like the way the drawer handles looked. One didn't like the way the couch folded out.
I hate our carpet and would eventually like to upgrade it to something with some meat to it.

I actually don't care for our drawer pulls but am too cheap to replace them. They're more "country" looking than I like. We are more of a modern design kind of folks.

And the couch- I specifically chose models that did NOT have jack-knife sofas because I couldn't imagine someone sleeping comfortably on them.

I assume all things have things that you like and don't like. I can rattle off a dozen or more things that I don't care for in my camper and would have liked different. I can literally do that in any camper I've ever walked in. Or houses or cars or you name it.

BUT- it doesn't lessen my enjoyment of those things.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:23 PM   #9
Wait till next year...

The show I saw looked like an infomercial for LazyDays. DW always seemed to get the one she wanted except dor the DD piece. Gotta admit Lazydays doesnt look like the Dealer lots I went thru
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 03:11 PM   #10

remember it an infomercial for lazy days
entertains but not realistic
reality tv is the most scripted thing you will ever watch
brianj
take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:23 PM   #11

What's the name of the show, or what network is it on?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

2014 Tracer Ultra Lite 2670BHS
2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 5.7L Hemi
Camping Trips 2014 - 3 trips, 7 nights
Camping Trips 2015 - 2 trips, 4 nights
(7 more trips planned)
LaxRef93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:47 PM   #12
Wait till next year...

Big Time RV airs on Sundays from 8PM-9PM EST on Travel channel
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:48 PM   #13
Who Dares, Wins

It is interesting to watch I guess, we do, but I laugh that they say they have 100,000 to spend... They are shown a 500,000 rig, a 30,0000 rig then the 98,000 rig that they love and buy... But it is TV, just meant for entertainment value.

I miss that RV show that used to be on with some guy name Stu maybe. Used to actually show you repairs, upgrades and places to travel... That is an RV show to me!

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:13 AM   #14

........and this is 1 of the why's as to why I don't own a TV. there is rarely anything worth watching.
When I first saw this thread I thought it was going to be about forum members experience with RV shopping, etc; how's; why's where-to-for's whatnot's & whatever.....
But .....Really?? An entire planet to explore, study & experience but I'd rather watch a show like this instead. NOT!
When I purchased my RV one of the first things I did in the first RV park I stayed at was remove the flatscreen TV, mounting bracket, cables, remote and place them on the picnic table with a sign that said $100.... brand new never used. If I'm not here tape money to my door or if you're really hard up you can just have the thing....... then I went hiking & exploring.

A few hours later when I returned TV was gone and there were 2 50's taped to my door. To this day I don't know who 'bought' it......but they need it more than I.

Thanx..........INTJohn
intjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:57 AM   #15

My BIL's daughter works in television, and if it wasn't already apparent, pretty much all the "reality" shows are scripted/staged. Doesn't stop some of them from being interesting, but ya just have to take it all for entertainment purposes only.
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Control
tony5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:57 AM   #16

I've seen this a few times and I like seeing the interiors of the RV's but take the premise and "reality" with a grain of salt.

There was also a show I saw a few times about people having RV's custom built, they built one for Simon Cowell and some other celebrities. I enjoyed seeing them as well. Can't remember the name of that one.
strat56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:26 AM   #17

I've seen the show also. I'm waiting for the normal mans version. Where someone says their budget is $15,000.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:59 AM   #18

This "reality show" always blows my mind. So I'm supposed to believe that I give a single sales person my requirements and then look at his offerings. After I look at 3, yep I'm limited to just 3 options, I give this guy my business because I can pick the LEAST OBJECTIONABLE unit? Wow, I can hardly wait to get on a show like that and give them my $$ for a unit that I like somewhat more than the other 2 offerings from a single dealer. Yep, why would we even "think" this was not reality?
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:51 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaxRef93 View Post
What's the name of the show, or what network is it on?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
The channel is Great American Country and the name of the show is Going RV.

Going RV | GAC

They also have a show called Flippin RVs which is kind of interesting. It's about a couple that buys old trailers and restores them to brand new condition.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:12 PM   #20

Reality tv

As a family on one of those shows..... It was a blast for the kids and our friends. Scripted or not is up to the show but with 2 small kids nothing can be scripted.....
Chudson is offline   Reply With Quote