Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2013, 01:25 PM   #21
MI Camperz

Bummer! Time to create a wash n wax badge! It's a win-win!
Old 07-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #22

Remember tent camping? Heck, I've been trying to forget, ever since the ground got harder and my butt lost the padding!
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:56 PM   #23
NELA

Oh do I *ever* remember tent camping! I may have shared with everyone before now that my parents took all four of us kids on a 2 week vacation as far back as I can remember.

We traveled highways and byways...no interstates back then, and no fast food joints...and stopped at roadside parks and dragged out an ice chest, cold cut sandwiches were our daily fare.

I had no idea what a gift those trips were to us kids until I became an adult. I've been to the top of Pike's Peak (covered my head with a pillow in the back of the "Country Squire" station wagon, terrified of those hair pin turns with sheer cliffs), been to the bottom of the Royal Gorge, seen the Painted Desert, the Petrified Forest and watched Old Glory do her thing, right on time. Been to Ruby Falls, Swing Along Bridge and Carlsbad Caverns. Played in ice cold mountain streams more times than I can recall. And oh yes....we saw ROCK CITY! And, the Grand Canyon.

We were treated one night per week to one of those road side "motels" with the little individual cottage units. What a TREAT! Hot baths and showers!

Dad burned the tranny out in Carlsbad, NM one year. I remember we were there for several days.

I remember specifically one night in our tent, we were awakened by a loud huffing sound and an awful stench. Yep, we had a black bear visitor, with nothing but canvas between us and it.
I recall *so* many nights huddling in tents while the weather raged outside.

I asked Dad not long ago (remembering that Mom dropped her purse while down in the Ruby Falls cave into one of the underground streams, and Dad jumped over the rail to retrieve it...all the money we had was in that purse) just how much money they brought with us on those two week camping trips every year.

Two
Hundred
Dollars

My how times have changed. You can't pay for a nice dinner and a movie these days with that.

But, no amount of money can buy those memories. They are priceless and they are mine! I have tons of pictures from those trips, *and* I have Mom's (RIP) old bakelite Brownie Hawkeye camera with which they were taken, complete with the flash attachment and even a few of those old bulbs with the blue coating that melted when she used 'em.

Those *were* the good old days. We were poor, but hell we didn't know it. We kids thought we were hot shots riding in those rear fold down seats in the back of that old Country Squire station wagon!

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:59 PM   #24
NELA

DH and I spotted one of those old wayside cottage style motels the other day on the way to a park.

Told him I'd love to find one on a mountain pass somewhere, remodel it and let that be a hobby after we retire.

What a joy to have travelers, pulling a vintage TT, drop in for a night. Time machine moment!

Old 07-28-2013, 01:59 PM   #25
MI Camperz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERmit View Post
Oh do I *ever* remember tent camping! I may have shared with everyone before now that my parents took all four of us kids on a 2 week vacation as far back as I can remember.

We traveled highways and byways...no interstates back then, and no fast food joints...and stopped at roadside parks and dragged out an ice chest, cold cut sandwiches were our daily fare.

I had no idea what a gift those trips were to us kids until I became an adult. I've been to the top of Pike's Peak (covered my head with a pillow in the back of the "Country Squire" station wagon, terrified of those hair pin turns with sheer cliffs), been to the bottom of the Royal Gorge, seen the Painted Desert, the Petrified Forest and watched Old Glory do her thing, right on time. Been to Ruby Falls, Swing Along Bridge and Carlsbad Caverns. Played in ice cold mountain streams more times than I can recall. And oh yes....we saw ROCK CITY!

We were treated one night per week to one of those road side "motels" with the little individual cottage units. What a TREAT! Hot baths and showers!

Dad burned the tranny out in Carlsbad, NM one year. I remember we were there for several days.

I remember specifically one night in our tent, we were awakened by a loud huffing sound and an awful stench. Yep, we had a black bear visitor, with nothing but canvas between us and it.
I recall *so* many nights huddling in tents while the weather raged outside.

I asked Dad not long ago (remembering that Mom dropped her purse while down in the Ruby Falls cave into one of the underground streams, and Dad jumped over the rail to retrieve it...all the money we had was in that purse) just how much money they brought with us on those two week camping trips every year.

Two
Hundred
Dollars

My how times have changed. You can't pay for a nice dinner and a movie these days with that.

But, no amount of money can buy those memories. They are priceless and they are mine! I have tons of pictures from those trips, *and* I have Mom's (RIP) old bakelite Brownie Hawkeye camera with which they were taken, complete with the flash attachment and even a few of those old bulbs with the blue coating that melted when she used 'em.

Those *were* the good old days. We were poor, but hell we didn't know it. We kids thought we were hot shots riding in those rear fold down seats in the back of that old Country Squire station wagon!
Awesome!
Old 07-28-2013, 02:03 PM   #26
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
Awesome!

Thank ya....campin's in my blood, it just grew up and became "glampin'"!!!

Was just recalling a little one horse town in Arkansas named "Skeeter Holler".....they weren't lyin! We dang near needed a blood transfusion after that night in the tent!

Old 07-28-2013, 02:09 PM   #27

Last time we tent camped in the UP was in Baraga........it was June maybe 20 years ago and the ranger asked if we were geared for SNOW. Man it was cold.

Jim & Kathy
Bailey, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
Gracie, a rescued Beagle
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2008 FR Surveyor 233T
JimChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:11 PM   #28
MI Camperz

Camping's in my blood too, although my parents weren't campers. We had a rustic cottage on an island in Michigan. So, almost camping. My first camping trip was in high school when my best friend (right after getting her license) took me tent camping in Ontario to visit her relatives' dairy farm. Had the bug ever since!
Old 07-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #29
NELA

Quote:
Camping's in my blood too, although my parents weren't campers. We had a rustic cottage on an island in Michigan. So, almost camping. My first camping trip was in high school when my best friend (right after getting her license) took me tent camping in Ontario to visit her relatives' dairy farm. Had the bug ever since!
You are correct, it is a bug! No cure, can lay dormant for years, then BAM!

It gits ya again!

Old 07-28-2013, 02:44 PM   #30

When I was a tender-foot scout I got a nice dome tent that lasted years. Sold it at a yard sale after getting a "cool" camel back style tent that stayed in its' box for 20 years.

DW had to get it out for a camp out with the brownies a couple of month ago, but then that was canceled due to weather. We took it with us on last camp out since it was two boys and five girls in a trailer that seriously does 5 comfortably. The plan: boys get the tent. Then the rain started - rather than soak the 5yo, we slept on a twin size inflatable on the kitchen floor.
Since he was bummed we did not do the tent then, I set it up Friday night in the yard. We live in the woods, so it was actually quieter that the CG. He fell asleep in about 5 minutes.

Since DD was bummed she did not get to sleep in it, out we went last night. She was asleep about an hour when the rumbling started. Pulled out my smart phone - thunderstorms all over the place. In she went, in went the tent, and into a nice soft bed I went. Maybe next week.

Of course, I did get the tent to backpack with - and we live pretty close to the Appalachian trail, so next year...
Old 07-28-2013, 02:52 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

I met DH tent camping on a white water rafting trip. That is the. last time I tent camped. I will not go camping ith out my own bed and bath and more impotrantly Air conditioning!!!
Bodzcampers, tent camping in SC in Aug, you are very brave. Bring some sort of fan, it will be hot!
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:59 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Bodzcampers, where are you staying? Last time I was at pirateland in myrtle beach, there were red and black ants everywhere and some really bad thunderstorms at night. that was June 2011. heat and humidity were miserable. Mosquitos and biting flies and no - see-ums drove us insane, even with tiki torches. Oh and due to local ordinances, no campfires allowed. just trying to prepare ya. you might be better off renting a pup from someone local.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:55 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERmit View Post
I had no idea what a gift those trips were to us kids until I became an adult. I've been to the top of Pike's Peak (covered my head with a pillow in the back of the "Country Squire" station wagon, terrified of those hair pin turns with sheer cliffs), been to the bottom of the Royal Gorge, seen the Painted Desert, the Petrified Forest and watched Old Glory do her thing, right on time. Been to Ruby Falls, Swing Along Bridge and Carlsbad Caverns. Played in ice cold mountain streams more times than I can recall. And oh yes....we saw ROCK CITY! And, the Grand Canyon.
!
SWMBO had a popup when we married, that she had bought with two other girls. We sort of inherited it, then bought out the other two. That started it for me. Another Popup, a travel trailer, and three Motorhomes and counting.

Our children grew up RVing. Every vacation was a trip to a different part of the country, and they saw those sights that HERmit described.

My daughter took an elective Geology course in college. As the professor described various rock strata, and geological formations around the country, Kathryn would think "I've been there and I've seen that" - while her rich friends just flew over in an airliner. She would only think "they don't know what they'e been missing." And now she's giving this gift to her children. My son loves camping, hikes the Appalachian trail every summer. And of course, SWMBO and I can't get it out of our blood, either

Lifestyle? Maybe. As HERmit describes, it it is a GIFT.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:33 PM   #34
NELA

Ummm I meant "Old Faithful" not Old Glory. I've seen Old Glory do her thing many a time too, so I guess both work.

Today is my Dad's 85th Birthday. While on the phone with him a bit ago I read my post to him. He cried, then asked me if I could possibly print that out for him (large print, of course). You betcha!

Old 07-29-2013, 06:46 AM   #35

I'm sure this video has been posted before, but it's really appropriate for this discussion about tent camping. I LOL every time I watch it.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:14 AM   #36
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
You only live once, so I'm sure we'll make the best of it as we always do!
OK - so... please look at what's available on NC's Outer Banks. Anything south of Nags Head (Frisco, Rodanthe, Buxton, Hatteras, Ocracoke).
What would be a plum is a spot at Myrtle Beach State Park. Situated on the "Grand Strand," it has preserved a piece of what that coastline used to be. You camp under sprawling live oaks (READ: SHADE). You can walk to the beach. Plus all those touristy things are only minutes away, if you choose.

Teach
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:26 AM   #37
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimChow View Post
Last time we tent camped in the UP was in Baraga........it was June maybe 20 years ago and the ranger asked if we were geared for SNOW. Man it was cold.
We were tenting as kids (maybe 50 years ago) and at Baraga State Park once it rained so hard that we had to dig trenches around the tent to keep from flooding out. That was the joke years after to go thru the park and see our trenches were still there.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:27 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by awellis3 View Post
OK - so... please look at what's available on NC's Outer Banks. Anything south of Nags Head (Frisco, Rodanthe, Buxton, Hatteras, Ocracoke).
What would be a plum is a spot at Myrtle Beach State Park. Situated on the "Grand Strand," it has preserved a piece of what that coastline used to be. You camp under sprawling live oaks (READ: SHADE). You can walk to the beach. Plus all those touristy things are only minutes away, if you choose.

Teach
That's a great idea. And then there's Huntington Beach State Park a few miles south of MB State Park, and I think it's very similar to what you describe at MB State Park.
The Outer Banks option would also offer a lot of interesting side trips, including the Wright Brothers Memorial, the Lost Colony historical drama, lots of historic lighthouses and the wild ponies that live out there on the islands.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:03 AM   #39

Haven't tent camped in about 15 years, but I'm seriously thinking about going once or twice a year. I spent a big part of my childhood and teen years tent camping and loved it. I want my 2 boys to experience it before they get too spoiled by having a camper. I know I'll be goin it alone cuz the wife flat out refuses to go without the camper.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:57 AM   #40

I'm with you Tina & Ted. We backpacked all over the Southern Cascades and loved it - in our 40s. In our 50's we car camped and tented in the Southern Sequoias - and liked it. I don't ever need to sleep on the ground again - in my 60's! We love or Micro-Lite and queen bed - and love our Carefree Vacation'r porch add -on when it rains.
uphillracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping