Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2013, 04:43 PM   #41
MI Camperz

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
Bodzcampers, where are you staying? Last time I was at pirateland in myrtle beach, there were red and black ants everywhere and some really bad thunderstorms at night. that was June 2011. heat and humidity were miserable. Mosquitos and biting flies and no - see-ums drove us insane, even with tiki torches. Oh and due to local ordinances, no campfires allowed. just trying to prepare ya. you might be better off renting a pup from someone local.
We're staying at Huntington State Park for six nights and Myrtle Beach State Park for 3 nights. One day on the way down open and one day on the way back I hope to hit Gettysburg.
I appreciate the heads up on bugs (hate 'em) so this is how we are preparing as best as possible:
1. Screen house in addition to tent for table/kitchen stuff.
2. Treating clothing and gear with Permethin.
3. Taking lots of 40% Deet spray and ant and wasp spray.
4. Taking 3 fans to help keep bugs away also.
5. Booked sites with minimal flora/plants/brush.
6. Stern positive thinking and mental preparedness.
Thanks for the warnings, helped me get prepared. Eight days till we leave!
Old 08-09-2013, 05:16 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by timarti View Post
Yup, I remember it and I never want to crawl around on the ground again I want to snuggle with my honey in my nice queen bed with the memory foam and listen to the rain pounding on the roof, staying cozy and dry. No midnight trips to the outhouse, etc, etc.
Its really funny but my wife and I started in a tent 30+ years ago at hunting island state park, used to go twice a year and I would start checking out the gear months before, just could not wait to get there. Now we have had a few campers, travel trailers, 5th wheels and motorhome and every time we go to Fort Wilderness I still go over to the tent sites and see all the families having the fun we used to have and remember all the stories of rain soaked tent camping and bugs, shower rooms, cooking on the old coleman stove and fires at night. Just don't enjoy it now like we used to then, must have been the musty smell of the tent I miss, but I can say I rarely see the kind of enjoyment in the RV sites as i do the tent sites.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:45 PM   #43

When I say Im going camping I use the term loosely! real camping is in a tent not in a big 5th wheel lol! But I am spoiled by my rolling hotel and no way I can go back to real camping,
rohlingerrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:01 PM   #44

We have been 4 times in a tent this year as well. Still enjoy it!

The tent does really well in high winds, rain and snow. REI Base Camp 6.

My kids tell me now this is real camping!!
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #45

I try not to remember
Old 08-09-2013, 06:27 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead1250 View Post
I try not to remember
X2!!!
https://campingbuddys.shutterfly.com/
Camping Buddys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:38 AM   #47
MI Camperz

We're on our way, staying near charleston wv 2 nights to avoid storms passing through to the south. State park with a pool. Then off to huntington beach state park on mon. Im excited to say the least.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:55 AM   #48

While I loved tent camping when I did it I have to say I don't miss it now. With a camper we have more time to relax and enjoy doing what we go camping to do (walk trails, see sights, meet people, sit by the campfire, drink beer etc.). I really don't miss the community showers and walking to the bathroom.
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:47 PM   #49

DH and I spent years tent camping and have so many good memories of those years. When we graduated to a pop-up some years ago, our old tent provided convenient extra sleep space for when kids and grandkids joined us in the woods. Now we've moved into a 33' bunkhouse TT that sleeps nine so don't need the extra sleep space anymore. But I'm keeping the tent for the day when the grandkids decide they're too cool to sleep in the trailer with the "old" people. I do love that connection with nature that you get with canvas or nylon walls--but now I get it by throwing open my bedroom windows, lol.

Denise1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:30 AM   #50

Actually we still tent camp - probably more than"camper camp" My son is a Boy Scout and I think, lifetime, he has spend more nights in a tent than a hotel room. He has also spent more nights in a tent than our camper (and we took the camper out 7 times this year...) With the right weather, I prefer the tent to the camper in some ways...
1 wife, 1 son, & 1 cat
Volunteer Firefighter/EMT
Asst. Scoutmaster (BSA)
archham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping