Originally Posted by anaro
Bodzcampers, where are you staying? Last time I was at pirateland in myrtle beach, there were red and black ants everywhere and some really bad thunderstorms at night. that was June 2011. heat and humidity were miserable. Mosquitos and biting flies and no - see-ums drove us insane, even with tiki torches. Oh and due to local ordinances, no campfires allowed. just trying to prepare ya. you might be better off renting a pup from someone local.
We're staying at Huntington State Park for six nights and Myrtle Beach State Park for 3 nights. One day on the way down open and one day on the way back I hope to hit Gettysburg.
I appreciate the heads up on bugs (hate 'em) so this is how we are preparing as best as possible:
1. Screen house in addition to tent for table/kitchen stuff.
2. Treating clothing and gear with Permethin.
3. Taking lots of 40% Deet spray and ant and wasp spray.
4. Taking 3 fans to help keep bugs away also.
5. Booked sites with minimal flora/plants/brush.
6. Stern positive thinking and mental preparedness.
Thanks for the warnings, helped me get prepared. Eight days till we leave!