Old 09-22-2016, 08:29 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Well, we travel enough that we have our house on the market If it sells, we will figure out if we really want to full time or not I had to think about your question awhile. We were gone from our home town at least 55% of the time during the last year. Some times with the RV, some times not. Our kids live 4 hours away so we are there a lot for grandkid events. We go for the day, stay the weekend, or sometimes take the RV for a week or more. We LOVE NASCAR so we go to at least 3 races a year and usually make a 3-4 week adventure out of it. We live fairly close to the Gila National Wilderness so we go there to escape. No cell, no internet, no hookups Just fishing, backpacking, and fresh air. We are looking at work camping but don't want it to interfere with grandkid time, so that is the limiting factor. It is wonderful to have some many options. Isn't retirement grand!!!!!!!

We have thought the same thing about the work program... We have 9 and realize we will miss of lot of stuff just traveling. The biggest thing about working at the camp, we dont want to be tied down. I absolutely can't wait to be able to say... "Lets just stay another week", or whatever, you know what I mean. My wife has a custom shirt business that we can do on the road... Maybe! I think I have DW talked into some cool season dry camping! We shall see...

2011 Dodge 2500 w Hemi
Mods completed = 10
Camping Days 2016 = 46 Nights, 21 More Booked!
Texanmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:04 AM   #52
Georgia Frog Rally 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmark View Post
Dollar stretching tips!!??

Ok...we are looking at extended travels upone retirement in 11 months. We love to save money on campgrounds. While we can afford some of the luxurys of a $60 a night "resort", we love the State Parks a little more. We are also looking at the nicer COE campgrounds. There is so much do in our beautiful country that is affordable or free!

So, any budgetting tips would be great!!! We are strictly cash (debit), we dont borrow money.
Best of luck on your up coming retirement. Glade you can go when ya can. My father never made it and I was determined to go when I reached 62 and I did. Best thing I ever did. You got a lot of good tips here so I can not add. Later RJD

2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days booked for 2016--60 missed by 2
Days camped in 2016 58
Days booked so far in 2017 37
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:49 AM   #53

I am 52(almost 53) and I have no fantasy to retire. I only hope to "not have to work all the time." I plan on buying and selling some used cars. I can make a living doing that and can take off when I want to. I see no reason I can't make a few thousand a month doing that. Only question is... why am I not doing it now?
Days camped 2016 8 2017 1
Iwannacamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:27 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I am 52(almost 53) and I have no fantasy to retire. I only hope to "not have to work all the time." I plan on buying and selling some used cars. I can make a living doing that and can take off when I want to. I see no reason I can't make a few thousand a month doing that. Only question is... why am I not doing it now?
We got a bit of a wakeup call 6 years ago when we realized with the amount of debt we had... No way i would ever retire! Like i mentioned earlier, went Dave Ramsey crazy and took care of that. If you see a plan go for it, if we don't dream, we don't live!
2011 Dodge 2500 w Hemi
Mods completed = 10
Camping Days 2016 = 46 Nights, 21 More Booked!
Texanmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 08:44 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
You are 'retiring' at 55 and you are asking how to save some money on camping? Corp of Engineers that charge nothing.

You will out live any retirement that you have or it will implode with the economy and will be gone shortly. you should not quite your job.

You are just kidding, right?!? How can you come off the wall and give that kind of advice to somebody who has planned out their entire retirement by working and saving their whole life?!? Some of us will quit our jobs when the time is right, and I'm willing to bet that most of us who have been planning this for years will not run out of money!
Old 11-24-2016, 09:47 PM   #56

Hold on...I haven't retired(prolly never will) and I am already out of money. No. I didn't listen well and I am on my third marriage. None of these helped.

I do have a plan to work less. I too worry about our economy, but we only control ourselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Days camped 2016 8 2017 1
Iwannacamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 10:06 PM   #57
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmark View Post
We got a bit of a wakeup call 6 years ago when we realized with the amount of debt we had... No way i would ever retire! Like i mentioned earlier, went Dave Ramsey crazy and took care of that. If you see a plan go for it, if we don't dream, we don't live!

Where did you get Dave Ramsey info? I hear his name and could use a kick in the ass in the right direction.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:07 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdst51 View Post
You are just kidding, right?!? How can you come off the wall and give that kind of advice to somebody who has planned out their entire retirement by working and saving their whole life?!? Some of us will quit our jobs when the time is right, and I'm willing to bet that most of us who have been planning this for years will not run out of money!

You are 100% correct. I tell people they will know when it is time and if they have planned things will go easier. I was almost 55 when I retired nearly 14 years ago. We left the North and upsized our home at the beach. Bought a boat, a new truck, and new 5er. Since then there have been several new trucks and several RVs. You don't have to be wealthy and you don't have to be frugal. The suggestion of COE CGs works for many, but some have problems with length. Hook-ups are not available at all so we stick with private CGs. On a rare occasion we will spend 3 - 6 hours in a rest area on an interstate ~ never Walmart, but those are viable alternatives if they fit your style and budget. The best advice anyone can give is to say ~~ take a breath, relax, enjoy, and do everything you always wanted to do, you CAN do it.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 12:23 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Where did you get Dave Ramsey info? I hear his name and could use a kick in the ass in the right direction.
Try BogleHeads.org for FREE practical investment and personal finance advice from smart, well-meaning people. Some (not most) of the wealthier respondents seem unable to comprehend others having less income and fewer resources than themselves. Don't let that put you off. Many others are blue-collar workers who plan for their future retirement by living below their means, or planned successfully and are already retired. Almost all are helpful.

Try YouNeedABudget.com (YNAB) as a budgeting tool. It's cheap at $5/month with no commitment and the first month free. Many of the participants on Bogleheads use it to maintain their budgets. The vendors are very supportive with YouTube videos, free interactive training webinars, and prompt response to emailed questions. Their marketing seems directed to those who are new to budgeting or are struggling to get out of debt or the paycheck-to-paycheck cycle. I gather than many users started out that way but, as a result of adopting it, succeeded in improving their financial status and keep using it to stay that way.

If you're really serious about frugality, try MrMoneyMustache.com. I personally find it too extreme but you may find valuable ideas there even if you don't fully embrace the lifestyle.
- 1999 Chevrolet Astro
- 2005 Dodge Durango Limited 4x2 5L V8 Hemi

- 2016 Ford F-150 SCrew Lariat 4x2 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 06:17 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

Daveramsey.com or just go to a book store and pick up his book "The Total Money Makeover". My wife and I read started the plan and it is working great. It might not work for everyone but has for us.

2000 F250 CC 4x4 7.3L diesel

15 Salem Hemisphere Lite356QB

Tags
budget, planning, retirement, tire