Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2016, 03:25 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmark View Post
Well Les... Thanks for your pleasant, helpful, concern, however a lifetime of frugal living and careful planning will allow my wife and I to have a healthy and happy retirement. We aren't quitting... We are just moving on to another phase. My father enjoyed a retirement of 40 years quite successfully. I'm not "quitting" to sit in a rocking chair. I stay very busy with my large family and 9 grandkids. I have no shame in being able to afford the life I've chosen. I've worked hard. I was simply asking for tips, not charity? Thanks for the great tip of the Corp of Engineer Parks. They look great! I assure you, we won't outlive our retirement. I hope yours is happy and full of health....

Blessings to you.

I have seen a lot of people who 'retire' and their life is over when it should just be starting. They worry too much and really 'change'. Not saying that will be you. But it is very sad when ones 'goal' is to 'retire'.... and then have no clue on what to do 'the day after'. Stay busy and love life. (life should always be enjoyed and spread that joy). The Corps has many great places to stay and visit across the country that is away from the rat race. I like the peace and nature. Stay for a couple of weeks at many places and explore the surroundings.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:04 PM   #42

Quote:
Yes... I just had a very dear friend that didnt wake up this past Saturday morning. He was seriously thinking about retirement
I will not be ashamed of being able to enjoy my life and family at ripe old age of 55!
Good for you!! Sorry about your friend. We saw that way too many times at the university we retired from. Folks kept saying, "Maybe next year, I just want to have this much more $$$." And then it was too late. We (like you) planned on retiring 'early' and are now enjoying the grandkids and all the friends we have met while RVing. I have no idea how we had time to work previously. Enjoy.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:14 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Good for you!! Sorry about your friend. We saw that way too many times at the university we retired from. Folks kept saying, "Maybe next year, I just want to have this much more $$$." And then it was too late. We (like you) planned on retiring 'early' and are now enjoying the grandkids and all the friends we have met while RVing. I have no idea how we had time to work previously. Enjoy.
How often do you guys travel?
2011 Dodge 2500 w Hemi
Mods completed = 10
Camping Days 2016 = 46 Nights, 21 More Booked!
Texanmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:32 PM   #44

Thousand trails has about 200 campgrounds to stay at for 2 to 3 weeks for $3 a night depending on membership level. Basic membership is $500 and then 30 days free.
NorSnrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 07:19 PM   #45

Quote:
My father was looking forward to retirement at 62. He dies at the job he did not enjoy at 60. I was 55 and out the door. My wife was 56. I'm 68 now and too busy to worry about $$$. BTW ~ had our boat on the Atlantic today 2 trash fish (false albacore), 3 blue fish, 3 king mackerel (I don't eat blues or kings), and 31 Spanish Mackerel.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 07:33 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
My father was looking forward to retirement at 62. He dies at the job he did not enjoy at 60. I was 55 and out the door. My wife was 56. I'm 68 now and too busy to worry about $$$. BTW ~ had our boat on the Atlantic today 2 trash fish (false albacore), 3 blue fish, 3 king mackerel (I don't eat blues or kings), and 31 Spanish Mackerel.
Hey the fishing your way sounds like a lot of fun.
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:54 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Bravo captain...thank you. I lost my dad at 90. One of the very last thing he said to, just days before the end... He looked at me and said "get out as soon as you can", i only responded with a yes sir., and I will. I married a youngin... We will 55 and 49!
2011 Dodge 2500 w Hemi
Mods completed = 10
Old 09-21-2016, 08:54 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiancrew View Post
I dont think Capn fishes.... He catches!
2011 Dodge 2500 w Hemi
Mods completed = 10
Old 09-21-2016, 09:17 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiancrew View Post
We have about 6 - 8 weeks of decent near shore fishing. Offshore the the gulf stream at this end of the state is about 60 miles off so north around the Outer Banks is better/closer. Actually, NC has given the public resource to the commercial industry. Gillnets have been severely restricted or eliminated in the rest of the country but are prolific in NC, even in the nursery areas. I travel to FL and LA to fish. Now the bait fish are running close to shore. I was not even 3 miles off the beach today. This is one of the best times for surf fishermen too. The inshore fishing in NC could really be much better and I have not fished inshore in years for that reason.

My wife likes to have some Spanish Mackerel in the freezer but ~~ years ago I ran charters on the Great Lakes ~~ nothing better than a freezer full of walleye for the winter.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:35 PM   #50

Quote:
How often do you guys travel?
Well, we travel enough that we have our house on the market If it sells, we will figure out if we really want to full time or not I had to think about your question awhile. We were gone from our home town at least 55% of the time during the last year. Some times with the RV, some times not. Our kids live 4 hours away so we are there a lot for grandkid events. We go for the day, stay the weekend, or sometimes take the RV for a week or more. We LOVE NASCAR so we go to at least 3 races a year and usually make a 3-4 week adventure out of it. We live fairly close to the Gila National Wilderness so we go there to escape. No cell, no internet, no hookups Just fishing, backpacking, and fresh air. We are looking at work camping but don't want it to interfere with grandkid time, so that is the limiting factor. It is wonderful to have some many options. Isn't retirement grand!!!!!!!

Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:29 AM   #51

Quote:
Well, we travel enough that we have our house on the market If it sells, we will figure out if we really want to full time or not I had to think about your question awhile. We were gone from our home town at least 55% of the time during the last year. Some times with the RV, some times not. Our kids live 4 hours away so we are there a lot for grandkid events. We go for the day, stay the weekend, or sometimes take the RV for a week or more. We LOVE NASCAR so we go to at least 3 races a year and usually make a 3-4 week adventure out of it. We live fairly close to the Gila National Wilderness so we go there to escape. No cell, no internet, no hookups Just fishing, backpacking, and fresh air. We are looking at work camping but don't want it to interfere with grandkid time, so that is the limiting factor. It is wonderful to have some many options. Isn't retirement grand!!!!!!!

We have thought the same thing about the work program... We have 9 and realize we will miss of lot of stuff just traveling. The biggest thing about working at the camp, we dont want to be tied down. I absolutely can't wait to be able to say... "Lets just stay another week", or whatever, you know what I mean. My wife has a custom shirt business that we can do on the road... Maybe! I think I have DW talked into some cool season dry camping! We shall see...
2011 Dodge 2500 w Hemi
Mods completed = 10
Old 09-22-2016, 09:04 AM   #52
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Dollar stretching tips!!??

Ok...we are looking at extended travels upone retirement in 11 months. We love to save money on campgrounds. While we can afford some of the luxurys of a $60 a night "resort", we love the State Parks a little more. We are also looking at the nicer COE campgrounds. There is so much do in our beautiful country that is affordable or free!

So, any budgetting tips would be great!!! We are strictly cash (debit), we dont borrow money.
Best of luck on your up coming retirement. Glade you can go when ya can. My father never made it and I was determined to go when I reached 62 and I did. Best thing I ever did. You got a lot of good tips here so I can not add. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:49 AM   #53

I am 52(almost 53) and I have no fantasy to retire. I only hope to "not have to work all the time." I plan on buying and selling some used cars. I can make a living doing that and can take off when I want to. I see no reason I can't make a few thousand a month doing that. Only question is... why am I not doing it now?
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:27 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I am 52(almost 53) and I have no fantasy to retire. I only hope to "not have to work all the time." I plan on buying and selling some used cars. I can make a living doing that and can take off when I want to. I see no reason I can't make a few thousand a month doing that. Only question is... why am I not doing it now?
We got a bit of a wakeup call 6 years ago when we realized with the amount of debt we had... No way i would ever retire! Like i mentioned earlier, went Dave Ramsey crazy and took care of that. If you see a plan go for it, if we don't dream, we don't live!
2011 Dodge 2500 w Hemi
Mods completed = 10
Old 11-24-2016, 09:44 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
You are 'retiring' at 55 and you are asking how to save some money on camping? Corp of Engineers that charge nothing.

You will out live any retirement that you have or it will implode with the economy and will be gone shortly. you should not quite your job.

You are just kidding, right?!? How can you come off the wall and give that kind of advice to somebody who has planned out their entire retirement by working and saving their whole life?!? Some of us will quit our jobs when the time is right, and I'm willing to bet that most of us who have been planning this for years will not run out of money!
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 10:47 PM   #56

Hold on...I haven't retired(prolly never will) and I am already out of money. No. I didn't listen well and I am on my third marriage. None of these helped.

I do have a plan to work less. I too worry about our economy, but we only control ourselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 11:06 PM   #57
Always Learning

Quote:
We got a bit of a wakeup call 6 years ago when we realized with the amount of debt we had... No way i would ever retire! Like i mentioned earlier, went Dave Ramsey crazy and took care of that. If you see a plan go for it, if we don't dream, we don't live!

Where did you get Dave Ramsey info? I hear his name and could use a kick in the ass in the right direction.
Old 11-24-2016, 11:07 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdst51 View Post
You are just kidding, right?!? How can you come off the wall and give that kind of advice to somebody who has planned out their entire retirement by working and saving their whole life?!? Some of us will quit our jobs when the time is right, and I'm willing to bet that most of us who have been planning this for years will not run out of money!

You are 100% correct. I tell people they will know when it is time and if they have planned things will go easier. I was almost 55 when I retired nearly 14 years ago. We left the North and upsized our home at the beach. Bought a boat, a new truck, and new 5er. Since then there have been several new trucks and several RVs. You don't have to be wealthy and you don't have to be frugal. The suggestion of COE CGs works for many, but some have problems with length. Hook-ups are not available at all so we stick with private CGs. On a rare occasion we will spend 3 - 6 hours in a rest area on an interstate ~ never Walmart, but those are viable alternatives if they fit your style and budget. The best advice anyone can give is to say ~~ take a breath, relax, enjoy, and do everything you always wanted to do, you CAN do it.
Old 11-25-2016, 01:23 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Where did you get Dave Ramsey info? I hear his name and could use a kick in the ass in the right direction.
Try BogleHeads.org for FREE practical investment and personal finance advice from smart, well-meaning people. Some (not most) of the wealthier respondents seem unable to comprehend others having less income and fewer resources than themselves. Don't let that put you off. Many others are blue-collar workers who plan for their future retirement by living below their means, or planned successfully and are already retired. Almost all are helpful.

Try YouNeedABudget.com (YNAB) as a budgeting tool. It's cheap at $5/month with no commitment and the first month free. Many of the participants on Bogleheads use it to maintain their budgets. The vendors are very supportive with YouTube videos, free interactive training webinars, and prompt response to emailed questions. Their marketing seems directed to those who are new to budgeting or are struggling to get out of debt or the paycheck-to-paycheck cycle. I gather than many users started out that way but, as a result of adopting it, succeeded in improving their financial status and keep using it to stay that way.

If you're really serious about frugality, try MrMoneyMustache.com. I personally find it too extreme but you may find valuable ideas there even if you don't fully embrace the lifestyle.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 07:17 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

Daveramsey.com or just go to a book store and pick up his book "The Total Money Makeover". My wife and I read started the plan and it is working great. It might not work for everyone but has for us.

2000 F250 CC 4x4 7.3L diesel

15 Salem Hemisphere Lite356QB
Tfort is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
budget, planning, retirement, tire