Old 01-16-2015, 08:34 AM   #11
Roger and Paula
We sold our home in Dallas, purchased a home in SW Florida. Total payment (PITI) is $650, the same as a lot rent in a manufactured home park. We bought a 31' Class C to travel in, work in (I am a writer, wife is a photographer). We can tow our vehicle, and I can do 95% of the maintenance on the unit. That way we have a home base in a warm climate, and can plan our long trips. When you look at the cost of long term parking, our arrangement works well as the cost is similar and we have a house as well as the MH (BTW, paid cash for the unit- 12 years old, paid $16K, 20000 miles on it).

So we are retired, or as retired as we want to be, have the RV to travel in, an inexpensive home base, and not worrying about freezing our fannies off.

Rstrahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:35 PM   #12
Send a message via Yahoo to Maron
we also owned a 45' sport fisherman on Lake Michigan for 12 years. My estimate of expense including depreciation, winter storage and summer slip was about $10,000 / yr.
we bought our 1st RVTT a year ago and use it year around by going to AZ for the winter. Our TT is a 35' 8329 and very comfortable but.... Where we erred was in buying a 1/2 ton truck brand new. We enjoy RVing so much we now want a 41' fiver with a king bed, washer & dryer, full sized fridge & freezer, and an FL with a 60" HD TV. The Rv is easy but now we need to sell & buy both since a 1/2 ton won't tow the weight.

Maron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 04:21 PM   #13
I switch from sails to tires a few years ago after nearly 40 years on the water. I wonder how big a boat i would need to get the room and comfort we have in our 38ft. 5er.? My heart will always be on the water but at 70 I think I'm better off with our land yacht.I can always park it by the beach.😊

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
BuckeyeChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 05:32 PM   #14
Roger and Paula
BTW, you might check out the Escapees forum. This RV forum talks about full-timing, working and retiring in an RV.
Rstrahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 02:20 PM   #15
To full time or not

We have been traveling in our 2015 CC 36ckts since December 20. We are thinking about selling our home and full timing. Did anyone find the thought of not having a home base scary? I haven't been scared until we started traveling on I 10 from Florida to California. Our camper has a new issue every time we travel. When we got to Houston, a nail fell from the ceiling, the light over the table has a short and the toilet started leaking. The list for repair is up to 26 issues! Not to mention I seem to pick the worst Rv campgrounds.
Sewhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 03:03 PM   #16
Owning an RV is much the same a owning a home. The home needs gutters cleaned periodically, garage door repairs of some sort, roof needs repair or replacement sometime , light bulbs go bad, carpet needs cleaned or replaced, I could go on and on. The story is the same with an RV. If you use anything day after day it will require maintenance. That said, can I or you do any of these things ourselves? Yes to some, no to others. Each of us has to find our comfort zone and live our lives accordingly. I bet that you each make the decision that is best for you. (For some of us not the first time!) In the interim we have each other to lean on for advice and experiences, in the RV lifestyle, to help with big decisions.
Travel safe
2001 Ford F-350 Super Duty CC Dually, 7.3 Diesel
2013 832IKBS Flagstaff Classic Ultra Lite, Hensley Arrow Hitch, Carlisle tires
2016 days camped....211, it ain't over yet!
On the road to ALASKA May 6, home Sept. 13, 2016. 23 states, 3 Canadian Provinces, up to the Arctic Circle, 17,300 miles, 131 days on the road. 1 flat tire, 4 oil changes. What a beautiful trip!
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:01 PM   #17
Originally Posted by Sewhappy View Post
We are thinking about selling our home and full timing. Did anyone find the thought of not having a home base scary?
We served in the Air Force for 30 years and moved 17 times during that period. So we were already accustomed to the "move a lot" lifestyle. When I retired, we had no worries about selling the house and having NO home base. We had been "houseless" many times in the past. In fact, I can't imagine this full time lifestyle any other way...worrying about the house, getting the grass mowed, has someone broken in?, paying utilities we're not using, etc. Selling the house or renting it out is far better imo than keeping it while living "on the road."

We do keep a small storage shed ($1,000/year) with some furniture & keepsakes for when we eventually settle down.

Use a good site like RVPARKREVIEWS.COM and you won't pick as many bad RV parks. It takes time to research RV parks where you are going, but that time pays off! Plus, you can review RV parks for others as you go. I review every park we stay in and I'm thankful for the reviews of others too.

This is our 4th year of full timing. We hope to have many more!
F-350 Dually
Cedar Creek Silverback
Mazda Miata TOAD for sex appeal
danno2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:04 AM   #18
Check out They full-time & host rallies a few times a year. Their seminars are very informative and cover most questions related to the full-timing lifestyle...

S Bodine is offline   Reply With Quote