Old 01-13-2015, 01:16 PM   #1
RV Newbie

Retiring in an RV

My wife and I are in our high 40s and are planning on retiring to an RV. We are both working professionals and have been boating for 15 years. We just started looking and have a few years before we need to make any big decisions.

So far we are leaning towards starting with a small trailer while we still have the house to "test the waters", and later move onto something bigger. Considering purchasing a lot for "storage". Any other folks planning on this that can share their thoughts?

Old 01-13-2015, 01:45 PM   #2

The wife and I have the same type plan. We purchased a Micro Lite 2 years ago and just upgraded to a little bigger trailer this week. I plan on working 5-7 more years and then we go with a motorhome or 5th wheel for full time.

The motorhome is easier to travel in and less setup/takedown. The 5th wheel offers more living space. Just have to see what's available when the time comes.

There is a ton of info on full timing online, we have enjoyed reading different opinions and stories

2015 Ford F350 Crewcab Lariat Diesel
Ham Callsign K9NDY
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 01:55 PM   #3

Heh...we retired to the boat...and now have become land-sailors. Welcome aboard.
Can't really offer any specifics except to say that from my perspective...local camping in a small trailer would be completely different than seeing the country in a large motorhome. You might hate one and love the other. Kinda like going cruising on a 25 foot outboard with a hot plate and porta potti...vs. a cruising boat. Camping vs. living aboard. Does that make sense?
My suggestion would be to either GET a used and cheaper version of what you eventuallly would hope for OR rent one for your vacations each year to really understand what you want or need.
As to lots... I rent a nice, secure space for our motorhome for $65 a month... I wouldn't buy a lot just to park it and pay taxes...Some like to buy lots because they enjoy the area which is quite a different thing.
Anyway...I'm sure you'll get a lot of opinions...only you can sort them out. Good luck!
2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 02:18 PM   #4
RV Newbie

The "try before you buy" approach I think is best. My wife and I discovered we used the boat a lot more until we found a home marina we really, really like. Now we just hang out at the boat and rarely take it out. I am guessing RVing seasonally or full time might be the same way.

I like the idea of buying and owning a property. It cuts down on flexibility but it makes me feel like part of my monthly payment is going back into my pocket. But maintaining that property comes with its own headaches. But I am pretty sure I'd rather "store" my RV at a campground (rented or owned) than a storage place. Even if I don't go anywhere, I'd like the option of just using it where it is "stored" for the weekend. I am sure once I retire the urge to go someplace else will be higher.

Decisions, decisions....
Old 01-13-2015, 02:22 PM   #5

X2 agreeing with camaraderie. If your wondering about the RV lifestyle/ RV campground living - rent a trailer or a cabin in an RV campground. Plenty of RV parks don't require a membership.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 01-14-2015, 01:07 PM   #6
nosaint3

When working, I lived in one state and worked in another so the DW and I decided to buy a cheap motor home with slides, and drive it to where I work. We practiced full timing for two years , then put the house up for sale. Sold it and retired.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:23 PM   #7
(Dry Huunday)

We are on the same plan! 5 years and we are outa here!!! We wanted to keep the expense low (HA!) as we try to get there so buying the Coachmen really works for us. It doesn't "break the bank" and still allows us to use it often as we continue to work our way there! I'm really glad we did this, because a year ago my dream RV would have been a Class A or perhaps a large C, but now we are leaning towards a 5th wheel! Go figure?

So now when we decide to tear up the time cards Daddy gets a New Truck and Momma gets a New Fiver!!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:36 PM   #8
Canadian Member

A brick and mortar house appreciates in value but a 5er or MH depreciates and will have to be replaced more frequently than if it where used on part time. If you plan to full time in retirement, you'd have to have enough income to allow for replacement of your unit more frequently.

For us, for now, we much prefer the idea of having a house to come home to.... and having that building equity to pay for the home my kids put me in when I can no longer maintain it!
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 04:40 PM   #9
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
A brick and mortar house appreciates in value but a 5er or MH depreciates and will have to be replaced more frequently than if it where used on part time. If you plan to full time in retirement, you'd have to have enough income to allow for replacement of your unit more frequently.

For us, for now, we much prefer the idea of having a house to come home to.... and having that building equity to pay for the home my kids put me in when I can no longer maintain it!
X2...very good points to consider, especially if you go to full timing at a younger age...campers are not cheap, bad resale and do not last forever like a home
Old 01-14-2015, 05:43 PM   #10
RV Newbie

I'm thinking of buying a lot to purchase a "property" so I can store my RV and also use it.