Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2015, 01:16 PM   #1
RV Newbie

Retiring in an RV

My wife and I are in our high 40s and are planning on retiring to an RV. We are both working professionals and have been boating for 15 years. We just started looking and have a few years before we need to make any big decisions.

So far we are leaning towards starting with a small trailer while we still have the house to "test the waters", and later move onto something bigger. Considering purchasing a lot for "storage". Any other folks planning on this that can share their thoughts?
ZBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 01:45 PM   #2

The wife and I have the same type plan. We purchased a Micro Lite 2 years ago and just upgraded to a little bigger trailer this week. I plan on working 5-7 more years and then we go with a motorhome or 5th wheel for full time.

The motorhome is easier to travel in and less setup/takedown. The 5th wheel offers more living space. Just have to see what's available when the time comes.

There is a ton of info on full timing online, we have enjoyed reading different opinions and stories
2017 Ford F350 Crewcab Dually Diesel
Officially homeless and loving it.
Ham Callsign K9NDY
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 01:55 PM   #3

Heh...we retired to the boat...and now have become land-sailors. Welcome aboard.
Can't really offer any specifics except to say that from my perspective...local camping in a small trailer would be completely different than seeing the country in a large motorhome. You might hate one and love the other. Kinda like going cruising on a 25 foot outboard with a hot plate and porta potti...vs. a cruising boat. Camping vs. living aboard. Does that make sense?
My suggestion would be to either GET a used and cheaper version of what you eventuallly would hope for OR rent one for your vacations each year to really understand what you want or need.
As to lots... I rent a nice, secure space for our motorhome for $65 a month... I wouldn't buy a lot just to park it and pay taxes...Some like to buy lots because they enjoy the area which is quite a different thing.
Anyway...I'm sure you'll get a lot of opinions...only you can sort them out. Good luck!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 02:18 PM   #4
RV Newbie

The "try before you buy" approach I think is best. My wife and I discovered we used the boat a lot more until we found a home marina we really, really like. Now we just hang out at the boat and rarely take it out. I am guessing RVing seasonally or full time might be the same way.

I like the idea of buying and owning a property. It cuts down on flexibility but it makes me feel like part of my monthly payment is going back into my pocket. But maintaining that property comes with its own headaches. But I am pretty sure I'd rather "store" my RV at a campground (rented or owned) than a storage place. Even if I don't go anywhere, I'd like the option of just using it where it is "stored" for the weekend. I am sure once I retire the urge to go someplace else will be higher.

Decisions, decisions....
Old 01-13-2015, 02:22 PM   #5

X2 agreeing with camaraderie. If your wondering about the RV lifestyle/ RV campground living - rent a trailer or a cabin in an RV campground. Plenty of RV parks don't require a membership.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:07 PM   #6
nosaint3

When working, I lived in one state and worked in another so the DW and I decided to buy a cheap motor home with slides, and drive it to where I work. We practiced full timing for two years , then put the house up for sale. Sold it and retired.
nosaint3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:23 PM   #7
(Dry Huunday)

We are on the same plan! 5 years and we are outa here!!! We wanted to keep the expense low (HA!) as we try to get there so buying the Coachmen really works for us. It doesn't "break the bank" and still allows us to use it often as we continue to work our way there! I'm really glad we did this, because a year ago my dream RV would have been a Class A or perhaps a large C, but now we are leaning towards a 5th wheel! Go figure?

So now when we decide to tear up the time cards Daddy gets a New Truck and Momma gets a New Fiver!!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:36 PM   #8
Canadian Member

A brick and mortar house appreciates in value but a 5er or MH depreciates and will have to be replaced more frequently than if it where used on part time. If you plan to full time in retirement, you'd have to have enough income to allow for replacement of your unit more frequently.

For us, for now, we much prefer the idea of having a house to come home to.... and having that building equity to pay for the home my kids put me in when I can no longer maintain it!
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 04:40 PM   #9
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
A brick and mortar house appreciates in value but a 5er or MH depreciates and will have to be replaced more frequently than if it where used on part time. If you plan to full time in retirement, you'd have to have enough income to allow for replacement of your unit more frequently.

For us, for now, we much prefer the idea of having a house to come home to.... and having that building equity to pay for the home my kids put me in when I can no longer maintain it!
X2...very good points to consider, especially if you go to full timing at a younger age...campers are not cheap, bad resale and do not last forever like a home

Old 01-14-2015, 05:43 PM   #10
RV Newbie

I'm thinking of buying a lot to purchase a "property" so I can store my RV and also use it.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:34 AM   #11
Roger and Paula

We sold our home in Dallas, purchased a home in SW Florida. Total payment (PITI) is $650, the same as a lot rent in a manufactured home park. We bought a 31' Class C to travel in, work in (I am a writer, wife is a photographer). We can tow our vehicle, and I can do 95% of the maintenance on the unit. That way we have a home base in a warm climate, and can plan our long trips. When you look at the cost of long term parking, our arrangement works well as the cost is similar and we have a house as well as the MH (BTW, paid cash for the unit- 12 years old, paid $16K, 20000 miles on it).

So we are retired, or as retired as we want to be, have the RV to travel in, an inexpensive home base, and not worrying about freezing our fannies off.
Rstrahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:35 PM   #12
Maron

Send a message via Yahoo to Maron
we also owned a 45' sport fisherman on Lake Michigan for 12 years. My estimate of expense including depreciation, winter storage and summer slip was about $10,000 / yr.
we bought our 1st RVTT a year ago and use it year around by going to AZ for the winter. Our TT is a 35' 8329 and very comfortable but.... Where we erred was in buying a 1/2 ton truck brand new. We enjoy RVing so much we now want a 41' fiver with a king bed, washer & dryer, full sized fridge & freezer, and an FL with a 60" HD TV. The Rv is easy but now we need to sell & buy both since a 1/2 ton won't tow the weight.
Maron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 05:21 PM   #13

I switch from sails to tires a few years ago after nearly 40 years on the water. I wonder how big a boat i would need to get the room and comfort we have in our 38ft. 5er.? My heart will always be on the water but at 70 I think I'm better off with our land yacht.I can always park it by the beach.😊

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
BuckeyeChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:32 PM   #14
Roger and Paula

BTW, you might check out the Escapees forum. This RV forum talks about full-timing, working and retiring in an RV.
Rstrahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 02:20 PM   #15

To full time or not

We have been traveling in our 2015 CC 36ckts since December 20. We are thinking about selling our home and full timing. Did anyone find the thought of not having a home base scary? I haven't been scared until we started traveling on I 10 from Florida to California. Our camper has a new issue every time we travel. When we got to Houston, a nail fell from the ceiling, the light over the table has a short and the toilet started leaking. The list for repair is up to 26 issues! Not to mention I seem to pick the worst Rv campgrounds.
Sewhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 03:03 PM   #16

Owning an RV is much the same a owning a home. The home needs gutters cleaned periodically, garage door repairs of some sort, roof needs repair or replacement sometime , light bulbs go bad, carpet needs cleaned or replaced, I could go on and on. The story is the same with an RV. If you use anything day after day it will require maintenance. That said, can I or you do any of these things ourselves? Yes to some, no to others. Each of us has to find our comfort zone and live our lives accordingly. I bet that you each make the decision that is best for you. (For some of us not the first time!) In the interim we have each other to lean on for advice and experiences, in the RV lifestyle, to help with big decisions.
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewhappy View Post
We are thinking about selling our home and full timing. Did anyone find the thought of not having a home base scary?
We served in the Air Force for 30 years and moved 17 times during that period. So we were already accustomed to the "move a lot" lifestyle. When I retired, we had no worries about selling the house and having NO home base. We had been "houseless" many times in the past. In fact, I can't imagine this full time lifestyle any other way...worrying about the house, getting the grass mowed, has someone broken in?, paying utilities we're not using, etc. Selling the house or renting it out is far better imo than keeping it while living "on the road."

We do keep a small storage shed ($1,000/year) with some furniture & keepsakes for when we eventually settle down.

Use a good site like campgroundreviews.com and you won't pick as many bad RV parks. It takes time to research RV parks where you are going, but that time pays off! Plus, you can review RV parks for others as you go. I review every park we stay in and I'm thankful for the reviews of others too.

This is our 4th year of full timing. We hope to have many more!
danno2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:04 AM   #18

Check out RV-Dreams.com. They full-time & host rallies a few times a year. Their seminars are very informative and cover most questions related to the full-timing lifestyle...
S Bodine is offline   Reply With Quote