Old 03-07-2014, 07:36 AM   #281

Location: Boone Lake, TN 13 miles from Bristol Motor Speedway
We came about an inch away from buying a used camper in a seasonal campground on the lake about a mile from where we ended up. They wanted $2600 annually which included water. They shut the water off Oct 1 and back on April 1. All that wasn't so bad but then I asked to see a copy of the lease agreement. It was 37 pages! Some of the rules...
  • No washing of boats, cars or campers except with Manager approval. 1 wash allowed per year. Penalty - Immediate eviction
  • No more than 8 guests allowed. Penalty - Immediate eviction
  • No more than 4 vehicles allowed on your site. Penalty - Immediate eviction
  • Campground speed limit is 3 MPH. Penalty - Immediate eviction.
  • No soup for you. (OK, I added that one)

That is just a sample. I can see having rules is important, and there are probably good reasons to have such rules, based on previous experiences. It was a great site with a nice lawn down to the lake and dock but neighbors on both side were about 10 feet away in a campground of about 150 units.

We went across the street and saw a little sign advertising a camper for sale, followed it into a beautiful neighborhood and found this place for just a little bit more annually but half the cost for a 10 year newer camper. Our lease comes with 3 rules:
  • Owner is not responsible for injuries or damages to lessee or guests.
  • Lessee shall maintain landscaping in a neat fashion.
  • Lessee shall respect thy neighbors.

I can live with that.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:18 AM   #282

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucky View Post
We came about an inch away from buying a used camper in a seasonal campground on the lake about a mile from where we ended up. They wanted $2600 annually which included water. They shut the water off Oct 1 and back on April 1. All that wasn't so bad but then I asked to see a copy of the lease agreement. It was 37 pages! Some of the rules...
  • No washing of boats, cars or campers except with Manager approval. 1 wash allowed per year. Penalty - Immediate eviction

That is just a sample. I can see having rules is important, and there are probably good reasons to have such rules, based on previous experiences. It was a great site with a nice lawn down to the lake and dock but neighbors on both side were about 10 feet away in a campground of about 150 units.

We went across the street and saw a little sign advertising a camper for sale, followed it into a beautiful neighborhood and found this place for just a little bit more annually but half the cost for a 10 year newer camper. Our lease comes with 3 rules:

I can live with that.
Yeah, rules are a big thing. Some can get rather strict. All rules are meant to keep the peace but at the same time we are paying money for our enjoyment. You have to weigh everything in your decision. It's not just about the money. Ours is cheaper because we are way up north in the middle of no where. I did forget to mention that there is no sewer either so we have the honeywagon service. I am going to get a 300 gallon tank this year to make the dumping less frequent. At the end of the day, it has to make you happy and for a lot of people, they will pay extra for happiness. I know I would pay more for my seasonal site but don't tell the owner that . Oh and one last thought I had. Camping is about relaxing and enjoying yourself. There is a cost associated with your time it takes to set up camp and take down at the end of the weekend if you aren't seasonal so that could factor into your "costs" as well (or savings with a seasonal site). More time for enjoyment of your camper .

Old 03-11-2014, 03:55 PM   #283
MI Camperz

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenaxle View Post
you don't need to lift the camper off the tires but We put some wolmanized 2x8's under ours to keep them off of the the dirt and grass. It helps prolong the tire life especially in our campground where we leave our camper there year around. I also cover them to keep the ultra violet sun rays off of them.
This is what we do. I don't think our CG would allow us to block up off the ground entirely. The idea is that in case of fire, etc, must be movable.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:11 PM   #284
MI Camperz

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucky View Post

I can live with that.
Heck Yeah Trucky! What a great find! I saw the pics too. Awesome!

Old 03-20-2014, 12:27 PM   #285
MI Camperz

It's almost time for most seasonal campers to open for the year.
When are you opening? Any special upgrades/mods/site changes you'll be making?

For us, we open 4/1/14, but probably won't really establish till May b/c of tons of snow and I have to finish my term in grad school with 2 classes and f/t work till mid april. We just moved last year, upgraded our shed, had the camper entirely resealed, rebuilt deck, put in fire pit. This year...I am chillaxing and planting flowers...that's it!
Old 03-20-2014, 12:45 PM   #286

The water is turned on April 15th for us, weather permitting. Only mod planned is a work order (DW) to add small shelves between bathroom medicine cabinet and wall. Been thinking about putting something around the fire pit. Neighbor installed crushed gravel around theirs and it looks and works great. Just don't know if i'm up to the work and $ involved. Bodz, after all you guys did last year I think planting flowers would be enough work. After all, you're there to relax and enjoy .

Link to pics:http://s1340.photobucket.com/user/Wi...?sort=4&page=1
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:02 PM   #287
MI Camperz

Thanks Wiscampsin. We do need rest. I didn't even begin to tell the harrowing story of getting our pontoon running. First, it was blown off the bricks by wind over the winter. Second, it died in the middle of the lake when we put it in. Had to troll/chug it in to dock. Third, when we docked it after trolling in, it started to sink from leaks when it was blown off that we couldn't see with blind eye. This was an emergency including police helicopters flying overhead to make sure the boat didn't sink and/or people didn't drown. Fourth, to get it out of the water, had to remove dock to pull it out of water onto shore b/c it wouldn't have made it back to the inlet. It was literally one side up like a catamaran doing tricks. Fifth, we had an aluminum welder out, only to have him say we had to bring it to his shop. Brought to shop and back 40 miles away. Took to boat repair for stalling issue. 6 weeks later, he couldn't figure out the problem. Had towed to different repair facility who brought it back and had the same thing happened. A third repair shop finally got it right. Treated them to a pizza party. Put dock back in. OMG! Oy -eeee-Vay! As if moving and rebuilding wasn't enough. LOL.
Anyway, have fun with building your fire pit. Here's a pic of ours and in the middle we used lava rock which doesn't show well in the pic, but helps with drainage, looks nice (when DH leaves debris out)Click image for larger version

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	48032, and helps hold heat. I think we'll add more rock and extend the square bricks out to make a patio, but NOT this year!
Old 03-20-2014, 03:30 PM   #288

Still waiting to move in to our site. Emailed the owners Monday and they still have 2 or 3 feet of snow and I think it snowed again yesterday. At this time, I'm planning early May but if the weather would cooperate it might be earlier. I have a few projects for my camper before then anyway. I have to install the scissor jacks I bought for extra stabilization, install the Hott Rod water heater, wash the exterior really well before we bring it up there, pack all of my stuff back in we took out for winter, build some sort of shelter for my mini fridge for the deck, build something for my surge protector against the power pole, figure out how I am going to mount my satellite dish and cell booster, replace my black tank dump valve that busted over winter (had anti freeze frozen dripping from the crack), fix a cracked fender from extreme cold contracting the plastic, fix moulding around counter inside from extreme cold. As you can see I have a lot to do before I move in anyway but then I have to get the site set up how we want it too. We too are contemplating doing something special with the fire pit but haven't made up our minds yet. I have a custom fire ring that I had made at my last place of employment with my last name engraved in it and a football with a Packers helmet inside. I'll take a picture sometime and post it. It looks pretty good and one of the perks of working at a metal fabrication place (I'm an IT guy though and don't claim to know how to weld/fabricate). I can hardly contain myself in anticipation though. And to top it off, our 3 year old is so excited too that "we found the camper" and it is back in our driveway. He isn't making it any better because he begs me every day to go camping. I wish we could but it is just too cold.....
Old 03-20-2014, 03:44 PM   #289

Central WI received snow on Wednesday and then the snow was blown around. Fortunately the frost is not deep. Our camper stayed at the site all winter . . . wonder what we'll find when go there April 15!! I did get permission to open up the camper on that date so that I can pack up our items inside the camper . . . and get ready for our new one to be pulled in - Rockwood Signature Ultra 8329SS - the DW's Christmas present!! Our site should still be ready for us when we get there. Just have to set up the screen tent and consider creating a deck that fits this camper style -- it has two awnings. The sun is shining now and feels warm . . . but there is that cool breeze. It won't be long . . . .
Old 03-20-2014, 04:18 PM   #290

we will be opening the trailer on April 1st. this will be our 2nd year at this campground in Chincoteague,Va. thankfully,we don't have a lot of projects planned for this year. outside of the usual power washing the trailer and the roof and cleaning up the lot around the trailer, this year i am TAKING IT EASY ! only scheduled job is to install the LED light strips that i bought this year...then it's...fishing,the beach,chillin' and did i mention fishing ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pinegrove1.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	48043  

« Contaminated Water | - »