Old 07-02-2015, 07:19 AM   #501

Looks nice Geo. I have never been to Lake in Wood yet but I go Oak Creek often, it's only about 10 minutes from lake in wood, it is also in Narvon.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:06 AM   #502
Georgia Frog Rally 2017

Interesting thread. Like all the ways folks have set up there areas. Guess not for all tho. This one thing I would never consider to many cons. Besides I go to camp to relax and travel and see things. Enjoy. Later RJD

2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2015--46
Days booked for 2016--60 missed by 2
Days camped in 2016 58
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:52 PM   #503
Site Team

Location: Home of the 2016 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS CHICAGO CUBS
A/C on or off when hot and your gone?

We thought about leaving the a/c on, set at 83 degrees. Figuring it might make it less work for the fridge.. Then just decided to open the roof vents a couple of inches since we have lids.

What say you?

2014 LaCrosse 323RST-TE-C
2009 CHEVY 2500HD Silverado Z71
2016- 92 nights of camping
Platokidd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:47 PM   #504

My neighbor leaves his air on, says he hates to come there to a warm 5th wheel. This is my first year, old habits die hard. I lock mine up tight but am starting to lean towards leaving the air on but hate to wear it out and have it break down on me. I do have the MaxxAir vents but I keep that closed too.
It will be helpful to hear what the others do here.
crunchman
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:00 PM   #505
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
We thought about leaving the a/c on, set at 83 degrees. Figuring it might make it less work for the fridge.. Then just decided to open the roof vents a couple of inches since we have lids.

What say you?
We leave our A/C off and our vents closed every week. I'd rather not waste the money to run the A/C when we aren't there. It doesn't get that hot that often to make that much of a difference IMO.

We drove through your CG this past weekend. Probably drove right past your site at one point.

We are looking at the possibility of moving. It's a pretty slim chance right now but we want to know what else is out there if the need ever arises. A lot of the people we hung around with in our CG have already left for one reason or another.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:17 AM   #506
Site Team

I am beginning to fear that our CG is not long for this world. The owner(s) have been struggling mightily for a few years and this year seems to be the worst it’s ever been.

At least 3 seasonals left at the end of last year. Two took their trailers with them. One left theirs and sold it to another person that hardly ever uses it. 4 seasonals have already put their trailers up for sale this year. One is on a double lot so that’s a double hit if they end up pulling out. One couple came in towards the beginning of the year but couldn’t come up with the payments for their lot rent so they won’t be back. There is rumor that 2 or 3 more seasonals will be leaving at the end of this year.

We just drove around the CG this past weekend and were pretty surprised at the number of empty lots. We’ve been camping at this CG for about 12 years and it used to be a really great place. It was busy every single weekend and there was always something to do. Now we are lucky if we get half a dozen weekenders on any given weekend and there are almost never any activities happening.

Security and rule enforcement are almost non-existent so everyone pretty much just does whatever they want.

My wife and I have been searching around for another CG. My parents and her parents also have trailers in the CG so if we go, they will likely go with us. I love my trailer and I love camping, but it’s just not enjoyable in a CG with so many things that need to be addressed and never are.

Worst of all is the river that runs through the CG floods. A LOT. IIRC the last big flood was in 2007. That’s when everything started going downhill IMO. Every couple of years it floods bad enough to make using our trailer impossible. A couple years ago it got bad enough that we had to pull our trailer out to higher ground. So we’ve been researching places that don’t have flooding problems. I think we’ll end up paying more, but it might be worth the peace of mind of knowing we won’t lose our trailer some weekend when we get too much rain.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:47 PM   #507
Site Team

Location: Home of the 2016 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS CHICAGO CUBS
Rather not say where, but you know. See anything like this last weekend?
So glad to have the high ground!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1437504342297.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	83618   Click image for larger version

Name:	1437504377471.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	83619  

2014 LaCrosse 323RST-TE-C
2009 CHEVY 2500HD Silverado Z71
2016- 92 nights of camping
Platokidd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 03:24 PM   #508

Does it count if you own the property you seasonal camp on?

DH and I got tired of hauling the RV and losing pre-paid sites due to changes in work schedule, so we bought a 1/4 acre lot near Pymatuning. In the 3 years since, we've acquired another 5 contiguous lots and just got approval for the sewer line extension project. We've spent the last 4 summers hauling water in and waste out.

Just got an electric meter hooked up to the newest lot that already had a well, shed and electric pole, so by next season, we'll be on that lot. Have to stone the driveway since a bunch of trees grew up in the 10 years or so since the place was last used.

We sold the toy hauler last year and bought a 5th wheel, but may end of trading that in for something more along the lines of a park model.

Howdy to everyone!

Don, Kim, Donny Jr., Sarge, Ginger & Buddy ~ Pittsburgh, PA
Sharps45120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 03:29 PM   #509

Crunchman, we loved Indian Creek! Used to go up with the bikes in the summer and stayed at Indian Creek in both a tent and the toy hauler. Really nice place!

Don, Kim, Donny Jr., Sarge, Ginger & Buddy ~ Pittsburgh, PA
Sharps45120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 03:47 PM   #510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharps45120 View Post
Does it count if you own the property you seasonal camp on?

DH and I got tired of hauling the RV and losing pre-paid sites due to changes in work schedule, so we bought a 1/4 acre lot near Pymatuning. In the 3 years since, we've acquired another 5 contiguous lots and just got approval for the sewer line extension project. We've spent the last 4 summers hauling water in and waste out.

Just got an electric meter hooked up to the newest lot that already had a well, shed and electric pole, so by next season, we'll be on that lot. Have to stone the driveway since a bunch of trees grew up in the 10 years or so since the place was last used.

We sold the toy hauler last year and bought a 5th wheel, but may end of trading that in for something more along the lines of a park model.

Howdy to everyone!
Just out of curiosity, why are you looking to trade your fifth wheel for a park model? Our seasonal is a fifth wheel in a 576 site park of which, about 400 of them are park models. More and more are trading their park models for either destination trailers (Cedar Creek’s are sweet) or fifth wheels. What they have found is that the park models believe it or not are not built as well as a GOOD fifth wheel or destination trailer yet cost more. In addition, they depreciate very quickly, faster than the other options and on the FL coast are about $2,400 a year to insure, if you can find coverage.
IMO, as much as we complain about the quality of our fifth wheels, they do make a very good seasonal…after all they are supposedly designed to be hauled down the road.