Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2015, 08:48 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

We can't say enough nice things about the Colorado State Parks. We've stayed at a few private sites within Colorado and most were lacking.

Many of our state parks have full-hookups, even pull-throughs and the ones that don't will usually have 110 power and water. (They all have fill-up and dump stations at the entrance.)

We print out park RV maps and then drive around and circle the best spots for future trips since the easy reservation website lets you pick the sites you want. We're starting early this year (mid-April) and was able to get our favorite spot up at Cherry Creek Park which is right outside Denver. (I will, probably have to re-winterize the camper but it's worth it!)
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:08 AM   #22

We prefer State, national and COE parks. I have camped for as little as $8.00 a night (senior rate) with electric and water. We use the campground facilities for showers and toilets and have gone as much as 8 days on the tanks. Why should I take a shower in my trailer when the facilities offer unlimited hot showers for free. My neighbor asked how large is my black tank and I told him I have a yellow tank instead. You can probably figure that one out yourself. That makes the dump station a little less formidable. I have stayed in only two private parks and the fees ranged form $45 to $62 a night. That is one serious chunk of social security. I like to get as close to nature as possible. We have seen bears, deer, fox and wild turkey in the State campgrounds. All I have seen in private parks are dogs on leashes.

2015 Rockwood 2703ws
2013 Ford f-150
Rockwoodjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:33 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwoodjoe View Post
I like to get as close to nature as possible. We have seen bears, deer, fox and wild turkey in the State campgrounds. All I have seen in private parks are dogs on leashes.
Amen brother!!
Add to that list for me, eagles, osprey, cougar and cubs, elk, antelope, mountain sheep, grizzlies, fallow deer, river otters, sea otters, and many I am forgetting!
Old 04-04-2015, 12:00 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jz5g52 View Post
As I wait for my first camper, when I get a chance I like to check out the RV parks when I am around them, need to ask a couple questions
I really like the state parks better than the private ones I have visited (more space and trees) but a lot don't have sewage and some only have electric.
#1-When sewage is not available what do you do how do you manage the tanks filling up
#2 - When no water what do you do if you need more (They have water just not at each site)

First Timer so I hope these aren't to bad of questions
You will learn after camping a time or two in States Parks (which are good choices).

Research the state park you would like to go to. almost all have have advanced reservation systems and prime campgrounds and 'sites' fill up fast. know how early that you can reserve and do it early, you can cancel with a small penalty later if you have to.

All state campgrounds have bathroom and shower facilities... use them. Never go barefoot in any shower/bathroom, wear flipflops. If you feel that you are getting 'athletes foot/fungus infection/ itchy feet....' soak your feet in a table spoon of baking soda and water solution for 5 minutes and that will kill 'junk' on your feet and between your toes/ also put some baking soda in your socks and the sweating of your feet/toes will work with the baking soda to have fresh feet. (this works when you swim in ocean/pools and walk on the beach bare footed)

Buy a large blue (7gal) fresh water plastic can to use to fill up your fresh water tank if you can not be close to a out door water facet to refill it by a hose.

You will learn after a few trips a lot of your questions and many that you have not thought of.

Blessings

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 12:06 PM   #25
Professional Texan

I camp almost exclusively at Texas State Parks. Many have full hookups, some have water and electric. Full hookup sites are about $20.00 a night. I have paid $23.00 for a waterfront site. There is a per person per night charge of $4 to $5 unless you have an annual pass (about $75.00). With an annual pass eliminates the per person fee and you get 2 nights free. For more information: Texas State Parks - Texas Parks & Wildlife Department

TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 12:53 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Evans View Post
Is it b/c you're using the parks bathroom facilities that allows you to go 2 wks without dumping? Also, do you end up using paper plates and such to minimize water usage?
That's why I mentioned the tote tank.
this is because the gray tank will fill way faster than the black tank. I just drain 15 gallons every few days and take the tank to the dump station.

we don't worry about the black tank, because it takes a long time for two people to fill a 25-30 gallonn black tank. We can easily go two weeks before it needs emptying.

Sometimes we use paper plates but mostly we don't. I use the 6 gallon water jug to shuttle fresh water.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 03:34 PM   #27

I think the only time we'll ever use an RV park will be for long trips where we need a place for a night, otherwise, it's state parks and COE's for us. At some point as we venture more and more outside Texas, we would also like to try out national parks and other state parks that are more remote. However, we have more to learn about setup for that type of camping (boondocking).
2014 Wildwood 231RBXL - Traded Her In
2016 Days Camped = 5; Reserved = 14 so far
2015 Days Camped = 24 / 2014 Days Camped = 23
Mrs Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:58 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jz5g52 View Post
Thanks for all the replays, looking over the Michigan state park water and sewage is not common most seem to have electric

One thing I noticed was a lot had length limits I have a 371rebh it says 42 total length and very few take over 40 does that 2 feet kill me or can I go by the 371
It can vary from one campground to another if the extra two feet will be a deal breaker or not. I do a lot of camping at our CA state parks. I have seen where other campers are bending the rules about size restrictions and it's over looked. However, at one campground I got a citation for my truck bumper being over the line while the tires were not. Driving lane space wasn't an issue but someone took time out to write the citation the morning I was departing. I couldn't backed up completely because the heavy picnic table had been moved in the way earlier from a previous camper.

PS
At many campground you will find that many RVers will park their truck side way in front of the RV. I have found in CA that each campground can have their own rules, even some state parks.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote