Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2015, 12:18 PM   #1

State Parks

As I wait for my first camper, when I get a chance I like to check out the RV parks when I am around them, need to ask a couple questions
I really like the state parks better than the private ones I have visited (more space and trees) but a lot don't have sewage and some only have electric.
#1-When sewage is not available what do you do how do you manage the tanks filling up
#2 - When no water what do you do if you need more (They have water just not at each site)

First Timer so I hope these aren't to bad of questions
Jz5g52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:25 PM   #2
Love My Sunseeker

State parks that don't have sewage "at the site" will have a "common use" dump station. You travel through the common use dump station at the end of your stay.

Some other options:

1. Wash dishes in a rubbermaid tub, throw it down the toilet. This will keep the gray tank from filling up (mine fills up in one day due to bathing and washing dishes) and will fill up the black tank evenly with the gray.

2. Buy a "blueboy" (RV Portable Waste Tank, you can look it up on Amazon.com). During your stay, you can dump into the "Blueboy" and then put the included "hook" on it, and drag it to the common dump station and dump.

3. Some of the state parks in Oregon, I notice have "sink pit drains" (that's what I call them) at about every other site. You can wash dishes in the Rubbermaid tub and dump into the "sink pit drain."

4. Have your children take showers at the State Park showers. However, some states (Like Washington) charge for showers. North Dakota does not charge for showers, neither does Oregon.

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:31 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply, I was wondering about the Blue Boy, just wondering how they worked? Have you used them before.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:36 PM   #4
Happy Keystone Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jz5g52 View Post
Thanks for the reply, I was wondering about the Blue Boy, just wondering how they worked? Have you used them before.
Portables work great! I have never had to use it for the black tank but every 3rd day or so for gray. State Parks are always first choice for me and most that I use have water and electric. For those that don't have water I will reserve a site close to the water spigots that are available.

Size of the party determines whether we use the campground showers or not.

Years camping....55
dbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:47 PM   #5

I too like state parks for camping. If the park does not have a water hookup, then make sure you show up with your fresh water tank full and be mindful of fresh water use. I purchased a 5 gallon water jug from Amazon and use it to replenish the fresh water if needed. Of course you need to transport it from the common fillup point to your campsite. We camped for 8 nights in Denali last summer and used the fresh water jug for 3 trips to the fill point plus the 35 gallons in the main tank. There was just two of us but the wife tends to use a lot of water washing dishes.
Windjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:48 PM   #6

Majority of our family camping takes place at state parks. We love the privacy and nature...we don't spend too much time inside the camper anyway. I have a 30gal grey and black tank We have NEVER filled either on a 3 day stay. It's my wife, son, and myself we don't go all crazy with long showers..... Nice n quick.
h4kintosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:05 PM   #7

Do not rule out Core of Engineering (C.O.E) parks as some of these have full hook ups. We have stayed at several over the years. Also check out federal parks also such as Yellowstone some of these also have full hook ups too.

We stayed at a C.O.E. park last year in central IL with full hook ups for $12.00 a night this included 50 Amp service; Lake Shebville Opossum Creek Campground. This rate reflects a senior discount.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:18 PM   #8

We used to use the Corp parks but the ones in the Atlanta area have gotten a little to wild for us and we like the quiet of the State parks. Here in Georgia we haven't found one yet that didn't have water and electricity. Many of them now have cable TV hookups.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:30 PM   #9

Have spent more than a week in ours and had to use old blue to dump all the tanks I have 3 30 gallon tanks 2 of which are grey. It's really simple, hook the hose and open the valve on the trailer and pay attention so you don't over fill. Mine hooks on the trailer hitch on the truck and you tow it to the dump site. In my case I have a 25 gal. blue and 90 gal worth of other so I have to make several trips. If your smart don't let your tanks get above 3/4 full. So you have to do this less use the public bathroom and showers, or if you have an outside shower use it some .
As for the adding water to the tank get about 150 ft of hose and if that isn't long enough carry 2 5 gal water jugs I use a drill and a transfer pump to empty the jugs.
State parks are great for getting in touch with nature and meeting people from all over. People that go camping are the best they always stop over to help others when a new person comes in or if others have a problem.
Have fun with your camper and on this site everybody is a great help and full of info.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:54 PM   #10

We too are partial to the state, forest service and national park campgrounds.
You will find a varying combination of hook ups from full to none depending on the specific CG you are staying at. DW and I can make it through several very comfortable days camping without needing to dump either black or grey tanks.
We carry 2, 5 gallon water cans for refilling the fresh tank when needed (better balance when carrying full cans and fewer trips). You will find most CG's equipped with a place to fill your fresh tank as you enter and a sanitation dump for when you leave. Attached photo was taken while we were draining the TT at the Zion Canyon dump station after several days camping and photographing Zion NP.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_6426.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	480.1 KB
ID:	72888  
Currently enjoying second childhood
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:02 PM   #11
Site Team

Jz, you don't say what state parks you're talking about.
They can vary wildly, state to state.

In California, less than 1% of the state campsites, have water and electric.
and even less have sewer.
some states have the opposite.

Very few National Parks have hookups of any kind.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:14 PM   #12

Thanks for all the replays, looking over the Michigan state park water and sewage is not common most seem to have electric

One thing I noticed was a lot had length limits I have a 371rebh it says 42 total length and very few take over 40 does that 2 feet kill me or can I go by the 371
Old 04-03-2015, 12:44 AM   #13

As most of these fine folks have mentioned, a couple of 7 gal. water jugs and a siphon hose make filling your fresh water tank easy.

This is what I use wonder pump ...

The wife and I mainly boondock or dry camp in the National Forests. We have outfitted ourselves with 3ea. 7gal. water jugs, a wonder pump, a solar panel to recharge our battery, and a lifan generator to use in emergencies.
Old 04-03-2015, 02:57 AM   #14
Site Team

we're experience dry campers, since we lived so long in California.
we have two 12v deep cycle batteries, a 15 gallon blue tote tank(ONLY for gray water), a 6 gallon water jug, a 400w inverter and a Honda 2000.

with all that we can camp without dumping for a couple of weeks.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:07 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post

with all that we can camp without dumping for a couple of weeks.
Is it b/c you're using the parks bathroom facilities that allows you to go 2 wks without dumping? Also, do you end up using paper plates and such to minimize water usage?
2014 Wildwood 231RBXL - Traded Her In
2016 Days Camped = 5; Reserved = 14 so far
2015 Days Camped = 24 / 2014 Days Camped = 23
Mrs Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:39 AM   #16

Looked up my tank sizes
Fresh 64 gallons
Grey 108 gallons
Black 54 gallons
Old 04-03-2015, 06:50 AM   #17

PA and MD state parks are great. Most have electric, some have sewer, water. We live the quiet, nice amount of space at most if not all and outdoor recreation available. Lack of sewer isn't a big deal for us with a Pop up. We spend most of our time outdoors and facilities are usually very good. The prices are often very good as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2010 Ford Escape
loumichelle735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:10 AM   #18

We typically camp at state parks with water and electric. Since we've been doing it for decades with our pop-up, we don't mind using the public showers and toilets if they're in good repair, and it's convenient.

If you get a portable waste tank to offload some during your stay, consider how much water you can pull up a slope. It may have wheels but it lacks an anti-gravity machine. Water is heavy; water in a 25 gallon gray tank seems heavier, when you're trying to get it to the car.

We have a 15 gallon tank on wheels that served as the gray tank on our pup. We've owned our hybrid for about a year and don't camp as much as I'd like. We have yet to need the portable tank.

This summer we'll be staying at a variety of places, some being state parks with full hookups. (As a Floridian, that's a treat.) I doubt we'll need the portable except in Cases Cove, where public showers aren't available and the bathrooms were plumbed by the CCC.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:43 AM   #19

Quote:
Thanks for all the replays, looking over the Michigan state park water and sewage is not common most seem to have electric

One thing I noticed was a lot had length limits I have a 371rebh it says 42 total length and very few take over 40 does that 2 feet kill me or can I go by the 371
You can use the 37' for the RV as that's what they're referring to. Some CGs will give a total length and maximum length for RV.

I find that many parks don't know what it takes to get in and out of a spot and many will tell you the length given is a guide rather than a firm restriction. I've been given a site over a hundred feet long that didn't have enough width in the road to let me swing into it and I've taken sites that the documentation said was for up to 35' RVs with a 44' toy hauler, about twelve feet of it hanging off the back of the site.
StoneyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:29 AM   #20

Quote:

We are from IL and do camp a lot in MI and WI but we usually stay in private parks in those two states. My DW insist on full hook-ups for any stay over three days in length. We also check out most of the state campgrounds for over head debris as the tree limbs might damage your roof on a tall camper. Most state parks do not tend to trim the overhanging limbs that will hit camper roof. The private parks insure that you can get in with out hitting the roof of your camper.

Now we have found some state parks in MI that you could fit-in such as Holland MI but not in Muskegon MI.