Old 01-31-2011, 01:42 PM   #11
Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
Bored Bob ?? It is what it is...what it is. I think !

BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:44 PM   #12
Good points here either way, camping to me is enjoying the great outdoors, outside the glare of city lights, GO RVing had a great commercial a couple of years ago, when the little girl asked her dad "who turned on the stars" or something similar... camping is exploring in a way that can't be done with modern conveniences such as TV and Internet, and now smart phones should be included on the list of items that would interfere with "camping". There is nothing wrong with combining the two terms "camping and Rving", rather, if you are away from the hustle and bustle of every day life, not worrying about the stock market, emails, the latest HBO feature, then getting out and away is camping. I myself try to camp where there are streams, lakes, trees and mountains.

I do miss camping in tents and telling stories about bears knowing the walls of the tent would never provide any safety barrier, but then, I do like the safety of the hard walls of the trailer. (In all the years of camping, I have only had one encounter with a bear, at the time we were in Yellowstone in a Popup and the bear left his foot print on the door of the trailer in the middle of the night).

Get out and enjoy the great outdoors, call it what you like, for me, it will always be camping.

flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:46 PM   #13
Big Red (lol) I was thinking about our new Roo on the way and how I went from primarily tent camping to a pop up. When I did this a few of my "purest camping friends" acted like I sold out. Then we went to a 30 foot TT and I must admit there is an element of tent camping I missed like the sound of birds in the morning and so forth. Our TT insulated us from those things. We no longer had the element of being "outside" like we were inside a tent.

Part of me is excited about going back to the Roo because the bunk ends are like tent camping and we are back in the elements. Now with that said, when we beach camp or camp at the Keys, there are some parts of the elements I have no interest in being part of like, the bugs or heat and humidity. I dont know how those poor souls (not poor in money)can even tolerate tent camping in the summer in the Florida Keys..I guess they are tougher than me

After reading the posts to the philosophical question, for me camping is about the elements, fire, water, earth....and tent camping is perhaps the one the best ways to get back to the basics of those elements and for me the more advanced and house like a TT or RV is, it adds seperation from those. I know it sounds all native American, possibly environmental whacko, but when I am home in my home, I am protected from all those, from the wilds...camping for me is to explore the wilds, to come close to it if we cant be immersed in it like when we backpack, at least car camping gets us back to it to some degree.

So Bigred, it is not necessarily an is what it is kind of thing, maybe it is more like you know it when you experience it kind of thing...

Bored maybe not, cabin fever for sure!!!!
Bob, Tonya and the kids
11 Rockwood Roo 233S
08 Grady White Seafarer 228
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:40 PM   #14
Camping is whatever you and your family make it. Nobody is going to have the same opinion. As long as your not at home and everybody is having a great time.......................Your Camping!!!
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:13 PM   #15
Good point of views by everyone. I guess to me it's not so much what you camp in, but where you camp. Resorts are more of a RV lifestyle, wifi, cable, recreation halls, swimming pools, etc.... State Parks are what I seem to like best. I consider it camping, but maybe it's more a middle ground between camping and RV'ing. I may have hookups, sometiomes FHU's, but I usually build a fire, go fishing, hiking and so on.
The main thing is we're all getting out there and enjoying our time with family and friends. In the end, I guess that's what it's all about.

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2016 Nights Camped - 9
grhodes50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:48 PM   #16
Everyone has their point of view. Here's mine:

If it has wheels, your RVing. If not, your camping.

BUT, does it really matter? The whole idea is to get a break from the normal every day grind. Get away from the big cities. Get away from the rat race. Just get away.

Where we lay our heads at night means less to me than what was done that day. Did we do something fun? Did we go for a hike? See something new? Did we lay around all day reading a good book, out under a stately tree?

We camp with all the comforts of home. Heat, AC, running water, TV, Internet. But they are only there if needed. The trip, the location, the vacation. That's why we are there.

Camping or RVing...does it really matter. Just do it!

John & Nicole
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0L 4x4
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Nights Camped: '06=122 '07=12 '08=18 '09=10 '10=18 '11=28 '12=16
kalik282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:09 PM   #17
Moderators' Assistant
IMHO, if you're staying at a federal/state/county park CG, you're camping. or boondocking on Forest/BLM land.

if you're staying at a RV park/resort that has all kinds of amenities, such as KOA, you're not camping but RV'ing.

of course, this is my opinion but that's what was asked for.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:02 PM   #18
I got it! How about this:

When you're between destinations, you're RV'ing
When you arrive at your destination and are all setup (regardless on the number of amenities), then you're camping.

Where we've been:

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:57 PM   #19
A few years back during one of the ice storms we experienced my DD, SIL and 2 DGD's, about 3 & 4 years old at the time, stayed with us at our house for a little over a week while electric and water service was interupted.

We used my old Coleman camp stove for cooking, Coleman lantern for light, air mattress for the girls to sleep on and a few other camping gear items left over from when my son and I use to tent camp.

The DGD's got a big kick out of it all and told everyone, "We went to PaPa's house and camped out!"

So maybe camping is more of a state of mind than anything else.

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2016 Nights Camped - 9
grhodes50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:58 AM   #20
Ours is a mobile motel room,any place,any where,our own bed,bath,and kitchen! Youroo!!

youroo is online now   Reply With Quote