Old 02-06-2011, 09:35 AM   #21
ill be honest i started and loved "camping" under the stars or in a tent. but in a short 10 year period i managed to break one foot shatter another foot, break my wrist, shatter my knee, rupture 6 disks in my back, tear a rotators cuff, age & artheritis have set in and i just cant lay on the ground out in the stars like i used to. but i dont let those stop me from going to the places i love and stay the night in my rv/trailer. but still go fishing, go hiking, cooking food over the fire, ride my bike in beautifull area. to me this sit still camping.

I did camping as an airborne infantryman in the army that was sleeping in the only pair of cloths you had (your BDU's) in in the rain/winds and ate what you carried in your 80lb rucksack and ate it cold wet and mushy, if you were lucky you could have warm wet and mushy, and your transportation were your combat boots, your bathroom was a slit trench and toiletpaper was some kinda of plant (hopefully not nettles).

I dont regret my time as an infantryman but ill be honest ive had enough REAL camping for my lifetime so ill stick with the rv/trailer now

Covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:15 PM   #22
I think you guys are just "sweatin' the small stuff"......

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K2500 6.5 Turbo Diesel
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:24 PM   #23
Covfam..thanks for your service...I am not sure serving in the infantry is called camping...I think it is called surviving (lol)...

When I go backpacking I sometimes think about George Washington and his stay at Valley Forge...I have gear on my back that they could only dream of. A titanium 15,000 BTU stove that weighs 5 ounces, Gore Tex Boots that keep your feet dry...gore tex jackets that are windproof, rain proof and durable and my sleeping bag, ah my 2 pound sleeping bag that keeps me toasty warm down to 15 degrees. I could not imagine being a solider in his Army nor during the Civil War compared to what we have today in terms of clothing technology alone.
Bob, Tonya and the kids
11 Rockwood Roo 233S
08 Grady White Seafarer 228
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:07 PM   #24
funny you should mention george washington & vally forge. i was talking to my wife the other day (she is from west texas and im from western washington) we have lived now 6 years in wisconsin and didnt know a "real winter" untill living here. we were talking about how as a kid we understood what they were talking about with george washington at vally forge. but it never really dawned on me untill this year what that REALLY ment! we have had 67' of snow this year so far on my farm and many of 0 to -20 days but i have a nice warm house, good winter cloths, and electricty. but now imagine those temps & snow level in worn out clothing with little or no shelter, and rotten food. i had it easy in the army compared to those souls!
Old 02-07-2011, 02:51 PM   #25
Does it really matter what we call it! If its away from the strees of work, home or what ever. Its fun (not sure about the hotel thing). Is time to relax, I don't want to sleep on the ground, I don't want to sweat in the high humidity, but I do like get a cold drink and watch other people enjoying themselfs and enjoy the confort of being out doors.

Life is something to do when you've finished breakfast
Chuck & Margie
Both Retired
08 2500HD Silverado 6.6L Duramax
Flagstaff 829fkss
Round Mound of Sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:08 PM   #26
My wife calls it camping.....

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:14 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus
And anybody married more than 5 years to the same woman has learned, The wife is never wrong.
2012 Ford F250 ext. Cab 4x4
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:49 PM   #28
Grew up tent camping, most of the time my brothers and I would sleep outside, under the stars, next to the campfire. We were dumb kids, we didn't know any better...
As we got older, mom made the decision at some point that she was not tent camping anymore so my dad bought a pop up and we continued to sleep outside, on the ground....

Always tent camped even after growing up, lots of good camping with friends, always thought that was the only way to camp. Fast forward a few years, meet the girl of my dreams, the one I am going to marry, she hates tent camping...., I even managed to get her to try it and she hated it. probably did not help that the first night she was in the tent, an armadillo was outside the tent digging for grubs for several hours which kept her up all night, terrified... dumb ol' me just snored right thru it...
The second night she was sun burnt as we were rafting all day and she burns she was miserable, it was hot and muggy which as you may or may not know, does not help a sun burn...

So, if I wanted to go camping, (with my wife) I had to buy a camper, ended up with a pop up (with a/c). Made her happy and I could still go camping, last year we upgraded to a full on TT, made everybody happy.

I say there is no line and there is no difference between "RV'ing" and "Camping", if you are laying on a grass mat under the stars or are sleeping in a $2M Class A Diesel pusher pamper palace, however and whatever you do to get away and to have fun is the best way to do it. As long as you and yours are enjoying it then that is all that matters.
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:00 PM   #29
i always tent camped growing up as a kid, my wife's family had an old beat up colman pup up camper that they had to re sew every sring before camping season, i loved and miss those days but like you said we were dumb kids back then we had know clue was was comfortable or not :P
Old 02-07-2011, 07:49 PM   #30
Now a "Top Member"
It's easy...when I make a reservation, I usually make it at a CAMPGROUND. Sometimes it is at an RV park. And sometimes the RV Park has tent CAMPING. Sometimes the CAMPGROUND has no tent CAMPING. Only RV parking. But no matter what, I am away from work, away from house chores, away from it all. I am there to relax, see the sights, and have a good time. Call it CAMPING, call it RVing, call it what you want. I'll call the CAMPGROUND!

Ed and Sharon
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS
2011 Ford F-250 XLT, 6.7L PSD
Ride-Rite Airbags and Airlift wireless remote compressor...nice!

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote