Old 03-09-2011, 11:58 PM   #31

Can't remember where I heard it but I heard a good description of what the difference is. You are RVing if you don't build a campfire...... YOUR camping if you do! I like that idea. Make sense to me.

Official member of the "Roo Kroo"!
2009 - 4, 2010 - 135
2011 - 95 and counting
skeeterbait8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:14 AM   #32
Wanna Be Camper

By this definition, we always camp in our 34' TT. Of course at the end of the day who really cares? We are all doing this to get away for the stress of daily life and for just those few short days or weeks not have to think of anything except enjoying ourselves in whatever form of camping device we choose.

Recreational vehicle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-10-2011, 08:18 AM   #33

My take: The difference is the amount of money you wish to spend on your tent, pop up, hybrid, TT, 5er, MH in the food chain order. The more luxury you have, the more time you can spend "camping".
Old 03-10-2011, 08:53 AM   #34

I tent camped a lot as a kid with my family. Dad was a big army surplus shopper and scored a humongous tent that was a PITA to put up. I can't remember now if the supports were on the inside or outside but I do remember that it was heavy, uncooperative and a lot of work. On our trips from KY to CA, we stayed in motels for the one night stops but set the tent up for the extended stays. At some point, the tent vanished and a pop-up joined the family. I think the time we were in Yellowstone and woke up to 6+ inches of snow and had to break camp was the catalyst for the demise of the army surplus tent. We took the Pup to CA several times by various routes.

I grew up, moved out and "camping" gave way to chasin' cans (barrel racing) and for a couple of years, I hauled horses to shows in an old Winnie. It never crossed my mind that doing that was called "camping". LOL! Crap happens and life doesn't always go as one wants so that part of my life ended.

Some 25+ years later and after carefully planning and plotting, I was able to convince DH that it was his idea to start camping. He'd never camped as a kid so it was not an easy sell. Last year, after bugging him for a couple of years and holding the fly fishing carrot out, he found our first RV, a Trail Lite B+. Now, he's got the bug! My plan worked much better than I anticipated. The B+ is gone and there is a small Class A sitting in the drive. We've not been anywhere in it yet but when we do, we will be CAMPING!

I don't think it matters what one sleeps in or what conveniences one has, if there are campfires & outdoor cooking involved, it's camping.

Enjoying the great outdoors with one hubby and 2 boxers!
2011 Georgetown 280DS
2010 Jeep Wangler 4x4 Toad
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:31 PM   #35

IMHO there is really no difference. You're just a lot more comfortable in an RV. I did the canoe camping/wilderness, 13-day trips to Quetico Provincial Park in Ontario when I was in my early-20's, but there is no way I could handle carrying everything on my back these days. I've tent camped for 30 years, so I'm looking forward to my first trip in my Rockwood 8293 RKSS. As long as you're away from home with family and friends, with a nice cold beverage and a campfire, you're camping. For me, it's an adventure that never gets old, no matter where you go.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:55 PM   #36

I have seen some who pull into gorgeous forest campgrounds in their $400,000 "motorhomes", and never get out. Seriously, they just sit inside, and I'm not quite sure what they are doing in there! Anyway, that sure as heck isn't camping.
I think as long as you get out of the camper once in a while, and enjoy nature in any way you like, then that's camping. You don't have to build a fire each and every night, or go for a 10-mile hike every morning. Just do what makes your soul feel good.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:09 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
I have seen some who pull into gorgeous forest campgrounds in their $400,000 "motorhomes", and never get out. Seriously, they just sit inside, and I'm not quite sure what they are doing in there! Anyway, that sure as heck isn't camping.
I think as long as you get out of the camper once in a while, and enjoy nature in any way you like, then that's camping. You don't have to build a fire each and every night, or go for a 10-mile hike every morning. Just do what makes your soul feel good.
They're doing exactly what they want to do.....

That's camping as far as I'm concerned!

Actually, I'm sitting in the campground right now. Watching a movie with the wife on the 32" flat screen, popping popcorn in the microwave, waiting for the kettle to boil, and in short sleeves with the heat on. Tomorrow morning I'll get up, have a nice long hot shower, pull in the slides, power retract the stabilizers, hook up the truck with the power tongue jack and head on home.

Some say that isn't camping either, but I enjoy it and it's exactly what I want to do.

Oh, on the campfire thing:

What if it's raining and you can't have one?

Is sitting in the camper in the rain not camping then?

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:38 AM   #38

If someone just does the same things they do at home, what's the point of hauling a camper somewhere to do it?
When it rains, we often visit other campers in the park and socialize. That is part of the camping experience.
I feel sorry for those who hide in the unit.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:10 PM   #39

Our whole family has been dedicated "Tent" campers. Anything else was not camping....as the wife and I got older, the ground starting making life more and more uncomfortable, we started camping less and less. The children are almost all adults and the next generation is coming online...(2yr old granddaughter and next grandchild due in June). we determined that if we wanted to be able to go"Camping", we were going "Need" a few more ammenities. We looked at pop ups and then went ,what we consider, one step up and got a hybrid. I have to tell you, the part that excites me the most is the toilet! Not doing the 3am shuffle to the restroom etc is so wonderful ! We just got our surveyor 191t end of January and have gone "Camping" five nights already! That's good for Colorado! THis choice has revitalized our desires to "get out" and "go camping"!! It is all good!
2008 Honda Ridgeline
Camping in 2011 =43
socref01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:13 PM   #40

I see everyone has their own ideas. It's funny but 11 years ago we were in a tent. Had back surgery the following year and the doctor didn't want me on the ground. We bought a very old pop-up (85) still own it today but have never hooked up the water or electric. Everything has always been done outside. Don't get me wrong, we never roughed it. Double bowl sink, hot water, 2 burner stove with an oven and an easy up with rain curtains. The nice thing is we are prepared for anything. We did this every weekend April or May till November. Would take 3 to 6 grandchildren with us Ages 6 to 11. Stayed at KOA's and State parks. Said I would never own a travel trailer. Last July bought a 24' travel trailer. Nice but still didn't use shower or cook inside. It seemed crowded with the kids. No slide out but had 2 bunks. Lost my mind in January and bought a 2006 Rockwood 8317TT. Slide out, 4 bunks, couch, tv. What more could I want. Going this weekend for the first time in it with 3 kids and a dog. I know we will be more comfortable but an still determined to be cooking outside and no shower use. Miss the tent for sleeping. I still consider us camping but I'm afraid we will turm more into RVers (which I figure are the ones that are sitting inside cooking and watching TV) as we age. Really there is nothing wrong with being RVers. You're still away from the house which is what I like