Old 06-23-2011, 09:41 AM   #51
We bought the Hybrid Shamrock 21SS just to make in a little easier on us than tent camping. We had a shower tent and port-o-potty plus 17x10 tent and 10x10 canopy tent and chairs, tables, 4 bikes and what not it takes a long time to set up and even longer to break camp down and get in all back in the truck. We hope the Hybrid will make it easier and more relaxing than it is now...

Hybrid21SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:32 AM   #52
I agree with most that camping is more about getting out is not what you sleep in. I just moved up to a 31' With quad bunks from a 23' foot 5th wheel that slept 4. I consider myself camping regardless if I am in a tent or my new rig. Being a family of 7 and one of the kids in a wheelchair with CP.... and two dogs...having the 31' TT with all the amenities makes it so we can all go out and be comfortable.
Once we are outside we are still doing the same "camping" thing everyone else is....having fun and being together!

T.V.- 89 F250 XLT Lariat Supercab with a 460
2009 Rockwood 8317SS AKA "ROCKY"
Family of 7,5 Teenagers, a Welsh Terrier and a Airedale Terrier!

BC Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:26 PM   #53
The way it was explained to me: R.V.- recreational vehicle (can even be the vehicle you put your tent in); camping- what you do every now and then to "get away from it all" for a while; RVing - where you are stuck camping all the time no matter your set-up.
Just Call Me Bobbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:30 PM   #54
My different journey to camping

It's bittersweet to read the the comments from those of you who grew up camping with your parents. My parents instilled the love of travel in me by taking me to Hawaii, Europe and a bunch of places in the USA. But never camping. Camped (really small pop-up) with the ex and her kids (in tents) a few times. As my career progressed I was fortunate enough to do A LOT of flying/hotel traveling and got to see some amazing places.

A couple years ago (as we downsized the lifestyle) my new DW and I decided to buy a tent and all the camping stuff and had a blast on a couple of trips but realized we were just getting to old for the bones to be in such close proximity to Mother Earth. We recently bought a little pop-up A frame to get us off the ground, keep us dry, and still get to the places we want to go a whole lot cheaper than flying and staying in overpriced hotels.

Now I'd rather do camping chores than than stay in 4-star, take a shower in a bathhouse that's been used a few times before me than take my shoes off for airport security.

Camping's a state of mind and a means to an matter how you do it!
bill8972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:55 PM   #55
Camping vrs RVing

Just bought a new Georgetown 37 foot motorhome, it is pleasurable. We have experiened every kind of outdoor living. Backpacking and forest sleeping. Ice camping. Boat/cove camping on Lake Mohave in AZ; cots under the stars on a dry lake in NV (without a moon the stars lit up the lake bed); cots at Lake Isabella with skunks walking underneath, tent trailer in the Eastern Sierras near Bridgeport, CA; a Class C in Port Hardy, BC, trailer in Mojave CA where Patton trained troops during WWII and others. Having grown older our physical mobility has become more limited but the desire to be with nature is still strong and gives us pleasure. The wonderlust is part of the American culture and what brought our ancestors here and is what it is. Whatever it is called RVing or camping makes little difference but the experience and sharing with others helps make life complete.

jerry1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:36 PM   #56
I call it 'camping', but the Mrs. says that needing 50amps to run the AC is 'not camping'.
Keith & Liz
2010 SilverBack 33L
2009 F-250
kablair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:29 PM   #57
It's still camping even if you have a/c. As long as you cook outdoors, sit around a campfire and put up with bugs and critters, it's definitely camping"
2012 Rockwood 8293RKSS
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins Turbodiesel 4x4; 2012 Ford Escape 4x4. 3 very pampered cats.
Days camped: 2011: 61; 2012: 66 Days; 2013: 69;2014: 68 2015: 90 Days camped 2016: 34
trudinator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:08 PM   #58
It doesn't feel like "camping" to me if I am at a place that has grass, hookups, or more than minimal pavement. We had to schedule some places at the last minute recently and one of them was at an RV park. I didn't like that experience. I would rather be in a place that is more spread out. Those typically don't have hookups.
2012 Wildwood 24TBSS
2x80W Solar Panels, Morningstar MPPT Controller, Xantrex LinkLite Battery Monitor, Xantrex ProWatt 2000 Inverter

2010 Toyota Tundra DoubleCab 5.7L 4X4
TimeFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:14 PM   #59
Camping is Camping

I started out in the girlscouts along time ago, in a tent the size two people could barely get around in. We had to dig the trenches and walk a mile to the latrine. I then got married and we started one day in a tent and that was for my husbands sake of learning the difference in sleeping on the ground at our age and in a bed. We then bought a pop-up, loved it and then it got too much to put it up and I was tired of dealing with canvas! We now have moved up to TT, and have our bathroom and the comforts of home, even TV when it is raining cats and dogs outside. I love it because we are outside enjoying the stars and a good campfire you built from the sticks and limbs you find, and a good butane lighter! I love to cook on that campfire and have given my girlscout years of cooking on a campfire, wonderful meals, given to my husband who never thought you could cook that on a rock! That is camping to love love it!

tkephart1 is offline   Reply With Quote