Old 01-31-2011, 08:47 AM   #1

Wink The Fine line between Camping and Rving.....

Hey Yall:
I am sitting here wondering where the line is between camping and RVing really is? Many here started out tent camping and some still do. The tent camper looks on the popup and TT campers thinking...that aint real camping...the TT guys look at the motorhome guys and think...that aint real camping....

So for fun where is the line when we are no longer camping? Or is camping defined by comfort and misery levels (lol)...meaning the less comfort one has, the more they are camping?

Dont get me wrong, I like being outside from sleeping in a backcountry shelter on the AT to camping out in a TT with a ton of kids and friends and perhaps if I could afford a nice RV that could pull my boat, maybe I do that too....

08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:18 AM   #2

We started out Tent Camping with the kids in Scouts. Then we moved on to a pop-up, Hybrid, and this year we are picking up a travel trailer. There is nothing like pulling up to a campground, getting setup, and enjoying the weekend outside with friends, and seeing new places. All in all, I think it is a comfort level. In my book, everyone is still camping...

2 Beagles (Snoopy & Dexter)

Big Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:23 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokyroo View Post
Hey Yall:

I am sitting here wondering where the line is between camping and RVing really is? Many here started out tent camping and some still do. The tent camper looks on the popup and TT campers thinking...that aint real camping...the TT guys look at the motorhome guys and think...that aint real camping....
Interesting question........because I have the same thoughts.......depends on where you are in your camping history.

My idea is that if you are boondocking, you are camping. If you have electricity, water, and sewer (most of the comforts of home) then you are RVn.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:26 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

To me, camping is not about the rig you have, but whether or not you can go camping, mainly without all the electronics. Can you get out and see the stars, cook a hot dog over a fire, even build a fire? Do you get out and meet the neighbors, camp near a stream, take your shoes and go wading. Can you spend 3 days, or even a week, without an internet connection, television, and a cell phone? When you go camping can you not do anything that you would do at home, such as eat out, go shopping, go to movie? Maybe the simpler way to put this, can you not spend any money other than gas in the rig, and campground parking fees? Sure if there is a cavern nearby go visit, because you can't do that at home. Mainly for us, it's not about the rig, it's what you do with your time, and we try not to do the things we would do if we home, mainly stay inside and watch television.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:34 AM   #5

MtnGuy...boondocking? Lol, that is too funny, never heard that term before....

When we go the Keys, staying in a state park is a cheap form of lodging to me...I don't really think of it camping down there...however, when we stay in TVA, Army Corp Park or any other lakeside campground...I do consider it camping...maybe it is because at Pennekamp and Bahia Honda fires are not permitted...maybe the fire is the key too?

Dawg...we tent still, went to a pop up, then a TT and decided to downsize to an expandable....we have camped out on our boat several times too....
Old 01-31-2011, 09:38 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokyroo View Post
MtnGuy...boondocking? Lol, that is too funny, never heard that term before....
It is just another term for dry camping, but maybe getting back in the boondocks a little further.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:48 AM   #7

My friends have very opposite points of view on camping - one is die hard roughing it kinda guy, spent the summer a few years back walking the appalachian trail. He feels anything beyond a tent isn't camping.

Another friend see no point to camping at all - he's a big fan of hotels and eating out, although he will cook out. He feels his 'relaxation time' is just that - not time to work and "suffer".

I view camping as a break from routine, an escape from my normal life. A way to recharge my batteries, so to speak. The older I get the less I want to 'work' and 'suffer'- there's something about running water I like. There's nothing about sleeping on the ground that appeals to me.

We've moved from tent to popup and just bought our first TT - why? We have more money than we know how to spend, right? No, not at all. We want to camp more and that means (to me) I want less hassles, more fun and a TT will give us that -rain will no longer be a concern, our kids can bring friends, no more 3 am walks to the potty house, no more sweating my arse off if the temp/humidity goes off the charts.

I feel 'rv' is more a term for full timing or maybe motorhome use, but i think it's also a marketing catchphrase as much as anything.

BTW, if you're going to put your 50" plasma on a table outside and watch it all day you are not camping - you should have just stayed home IMO.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:21 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Interesting question........because I have the same thoughts.......depends on where you are in your camping history.

My idea is that if you are boondocking, you are camping. If you have electricity, water, and sewer (most of the comforts of home) then you are RVn.
Agree! And perhaps more subtle are the ways you spend your time. Watching TV, playing computer games, etc. is RV'ing in my book. Hiking, kiyaking, etc is camping.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:31 PM   #9
CLASS "A" Senior Member

I think the line is at the end of my driveway. As soon as I pass it - I'm camping or RVing- If I'm going to a Campground - I'm Camping, if I'm going to a Resort - I'm RVing. Potatoe-potato, tomatoe -tomato. The most important part to me is I'm not at work, hopefully all my cares are left at home and I'm out to have a good time. If that means I have to go out for dinner (SEAFOOD @ MYRTLE BEACH) so be it, best part - no dishes or clean up. We do our 2 week long vacations in the RV, travel usually to the beach somewhere and just chill out. Other smaller trips involve campgrounds closer to home and we do everything at the site, cook, hike etc. Whichever side of the line you feel you are on is up to you but it doesn't really matter so long as you make the most out of you time no matter what the weather may bring.

COME ON SPRING TIME!!!! I want to go RV CAMPIN'

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:41 PM   #10

Y'all are writing some good stuff...I guess it means trying to be outside...I think the fire is key too... I have not ordered or bought a TV yet for Roo and I am contemplating doing so. Getting "unplugged" from eveything is key for me...but this darn Droid makes it hard at times. I call sitting outside with a 50" plasma TV tailgating.....lol