Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2014, 05:10 PM   #1

Tornado hits campground Eastern shore Va

This morning a Tornado hit Cheerystone Campground on Virginia's eastern shore, 2 persons killed numerous others hurt, estimated 70+ campers destroyed. The campground had over 1000 campers when the event occurred. Thoughts and prayers go out to the persons involved. Everyone needs to have an emergency plan for events such as this.

Chuck in Va
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:26 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

There's atleast one if not two threads going on this.

Sad very sad.

"sabre owners united!"

turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:05 PM   #3

How do you plan for s ugh a thing, other than keeping a close eye on the weather. Can't even move the thing fast.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:24 PM   #4
PPST OGCDG

Talked to a Guy yesterday that was there the Tornado hit the campground. He said he could see the storm coming. He started putting things under his 5th wheel. He dropped his awning and then it started baseball hail. He crawled under his camper at the axles. The camper on one side rolled over 3 times and the other camper on the other side had a pine fall right in the middle of it. He had 8,000 dollar damage to his camper
Frank-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:16 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
How do you plan for s ugh a thing, other than keeping a close eye on the weather. Can't even move the thing fast.
Mostly know where a safe area to go at a campground would be. Ie bath house, check in area. Know advance what their pet policy is for this too. (You can bet mine is coming with me). Worry about the people and pets, not the things as campers and camping gear. Objects can be replaced, living things can't.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:34 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
Mostly know where a safe area to go at a campground would be. Ie bath house, check in area. Know advance what their pet policy is for this too. (You can bet mine is coming with me).
Mine is coming with me, also............I will pay a fine later if necessary.

We had tornado warnings while at First Landing State Park a couple of years ago. The missus and I had already decided we were gonna head the bathroom showers if a tornado was imminent. 1 of the campground hosts came around suggested the same thing......the showers there are small concrete block stalls.

Anxious to hear what others say, but I would think sitting on our truck with our seat-belts on away from big trees might be a good backup plan.

I don't want to be in a camper if a tornado hits.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:10 AM   #7
(Dry Huunday)

Sad. Thoughts and prayers to all those affected.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:15 AM   #8

Hurricane Arthur

We were on Cape Cod MA when Hurricane Arthur hit on July 4th. We lived on WeatherBug and local news to keep an eye on it. Not like a tornado which would give you little to no warning. I bungied everything I could to the camper (bikes, beach boards, etc). We were all the way out to the tip (Truro, just before Provincetown). The storm was a direct hit for New Bedford and Bourne (which spared us). The worst that happened was a fellow camper, across the way, left his kids' bikes out and one fell over. A lot of rain. So, the next day, for those tent'ers who stayed, their was a long line at the laundromat drying out their sleeping bags.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:24 AM   #9

We were in Bethpage CG, across the river from this CG, when this storm came through. It was early in the morning too (7-8 am IIRC), which didn't help I'm sure. People were still sleeping or hadn't left their camper yet. It rained very hard and had a little bit of wind. I think it got stronger as it passed over the river. It's very sad that this happened.

2015 Sierra 32QBBS-23 nights camped since the end of June 2014
2015-sorry to say only 11 nights so far, more to come though
Shinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
Mine is coming with me, also............I will pay a fine later if necessary.

We had tornado warnings while at First Landing State Park a couple of years ago. The missus and I had already decided we were gonna head the bathroom showers if a tornado was imminent. 1 of the campground hosts came around suggested the same thing......the showers there are small concrete block stalls.

Anxious to hear what others say, but I would think sitting on our truck with our seat-belts on away from big trees might be a good backup plan.

I don't want to be in a camper if a tornado hits.
All parks have plans for such things and it's mostly go to the bathrooms as you have said would be the safest area. As far as your truck unless you driving away from it. If a tornado was to pass by your truck you would go for a wild ride, you would be better off in a ditch getting below ground level. What a nightmare for them people. Tornados are very rare in Virginia. And in July almost unheard of. And you can bet your bottom dollar my dog is coming with me.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg