Old 03-12-2018, 09:12 AM   #1

Traveling Media Server

While I am still waiting on our new trailer to be ready for pickup, I've been working on setting up a mobile media server to take on the road with us. Primarily for my 5 year old, so he can watch his movies and cartoons on the road / night in the trailer. Just curious is any other tech geeks out there have done something similar?

I use Plex for all of my content at home, and have a huge server where we store all our TV and Movies. My intent is to setup a small server the stow in the camper, with an external usb drive for all the storage. Going to install onboard Wifi, to create the same wifi network as I have at the house. So all our devices will still work on the road / cg. I have a similar setup I have used in the past at hotels, so that I don't have to sign everyone's device onto the hotels wifi each time. Just setup the router to connect, and I'm done. I am planning on using a Ubiquiti wireless device to pull wifi signal in from the CG if its available, and if not, connect my Verizon Jetpack.

My hope, is to have the server periodically sync the content from my house server to the camper server via my home wifi to keep current with the latest content. That way stuff will always be available without having to transfer it to the camper all the time. Thinking of doing some IOT home automation stuff in the camper as well, which the onboard wifi will come in handy for that as well. Probably going to wire up a small inverter to power the server and the external usb drive, and put a wifi relay on the inverter's power cable, so that I can power on/off the inverter remotely. That way it is not always sucking power at home when its not needed, but it can still be available while we are driving since I won't have 110v on the road from shore power.

Just some thought's I have been rattling around my head, love to hear any one else opinion. Also, I know, camping is about getting away from technology.... I am a Sysadmin by trade, so getting to use my 4 weeks of vacation a year comes with a trade off that on occasion I need to be able to VPN back into the office, so being completely disconnected is never an option for myself. That and I'm a geek, I love everything electronic!

OneZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:26 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

We have a lot of movies and have a 16TB media server in the motorhome. It's currently only hooked up to the bedroom TV. My daughter has a small media player and a 1TB usb drive, that contains only her movies, in her bunk. Have been meaning to hook up the wifi, just haven't gotten around to it.

AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:27 AM   #3

That is so far above anything I would use (jet pack) or know about but there are some folks on the forum that have very elaborate systems for their work and play.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
We have a lot of movies and have a 16TB media server in the motorhome. It's currently only hooked up to the bedroom TV. My daughter has a small media player and a 1TB usb drive, that contains only her movies, in her bunk. Have been meaning to hook up the wifi, just haven't gotten around to it.
That's awesome, what did you use for your server, using a Nas? I was looking at an 8tb external USB on a small form factor PC to run Plex on.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:55 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneZero View Post
That's awesome, what did you use for your server, using a Nas? I was looking at an 8tb external USB on a small form factor PC to run Plex on.
Just using a small PC at the moment. Been thinking about different configurations, but just haven't put too much effort into it. Wife and daughter are happy and the system works, so all is good.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:57 AM   #6
Who Dares, Wins

I must be lame.. I just plug an external drive into a TV pr DVD player and the 5 year old watches her shows there... Simple, for me..

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:59 AM   #7
Fulltime family RVer

OneZero, what do you use at each TV to play the content?

I had previously been using a WiFi hard drive and Rokus at each TV but the drive took a crap.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
OneZero, what do you use at each TV to play the content?

I had previously been using a WiFi hard drive and Rokus at each TV but the drive took a crap.
At home, I use Roku's at the tv's for players, Netflix from internet, and Plex app from my local server for my local content. My intention is to do the same in the camper, two tv's with roku wifi sticks, then my little one has his tablet which can stream via wifi as well using the Plex App.

I have a small atom pc, which I just installed linux on a ssd, and have a 1tb usb drive attached for initial testing. If it has enough umf to it, I will probably order an 8tb external usb drive to sync my main server content over to it to take with me.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:48 AM   #9
Camper

At home I have a dvr service from the local cable provider, each tv has a firestick or fire tv. Between cable, Amazon, Netflix, Kodi, tablets, phone and laptops and etc etc etc we have no issue watching anything at home.

On the road is a different animal. I currently have a 4tb usb drive that I use to watch movies from. We plug it into the tv in the trailer for rainy days. The issue is that you can only watch anything from the drive on a single tv.

A better solution would be great but I never dove into the whole media server crazy. I am interested in exactly how you guys are running these systems and how I can adapt it to the trailer. A local wifi network with a pc, fire sticks or rokus at each tv and that it? What is required to be on the pc? Any free software out there?

TV - 2006 F350 6.0 DRW CC
TT - 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
Macrosill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:49 AM   #10
Site Team

If you're leveraging the USB drive anyways, can't you just bring it in the house and sync it that way instead of trying to reconfigure the trailer WiFi to connect to the home WiFi every time?

I've also been trying to figure out what I want to do about in trailer theater this year. We've got pretty much everything tied in with Apple at home, all the movies are digital copies from DVD/Blu-rays that I've downloaded in iTunes format. In the past, I had put an AppleTV 3 and an Airport Express in the trailer, so I could airplay the movies from my iPhone or iPad to the TV, but the first time I tried to use in in the field that whole design was shot down because Apple's DRM requires an internet connection to authenticate. So, for a while we've just been using a lightning to HDMI adapter and hard wiring into one of the TV's instead.

But know we're in the process of changing up the trailer, and the new one won't have the room in the bunkhouse for the kid's TV anymore. So I've pulled my plans for fixing this mess off the back burner where it's been simmering for years to see if I can come up with a better solution. I've got an old 1TB TimeCapsule that I'm not using any more (went to Google Wifi mesh network when we got fibre at the house) so I'm thinking about putting that in the trailer instead of the airport express and then picking up a Compute Stick or something similar to drive a media server from that the kids can then watch the movies on their iPads.

I'd really like to come up with something closed circuit that will work without the need to bring my cell phone's hotspot in the mix, as I've both camped at areas without coverage, as well as have limited data caps on my phone. My company covers the phone bill, but only if it's under a certain amount. With the prices of service here in Canada, that amount works out to only 6GB of data a month, and I need to ensure I have enough of that set aside for my corporate needs.

So, I assume the problem I'm going to run into though is the Apple DRM's need to authenticate over the internet. I intend to try out a test to validate this probably some time this week, by setting up the TC as a closed circuit network, hook the mac and an ipad up to it and see if I can play content from the mac on the ipad. If it works, I've got the basis for my solution, and now just need the right PC to support the media server duties. I'm just not hopeful.

Plex has great reviews as a way around this, but it seems to require ripping the DRM from the various digital copies, and I'm generally just too busy to sit down and start re-ripping every one of our movies from scratch.

Tags
travel