Old 02-22-2018, 09:36 PM   #1

Traveling with 2yr old.

This summer I have a relative getting married in Taos, NM, and we live an hour north of Kansas City, MO. Mav will turn 2 in August and is fairly used to 3-4 hr drives in the truck locally.
I have a couple of questions regarding travel with the little one and the 5th wheel.

By Google it's a 12 hr straight through drive
If I was by myself I'd do the trip in 1.5 days with the 5er but with the wife and little one I'm at a loss on what type of distance I should aim for on daily mileage. I'm thinking we might take a week off total to head out there and back with some sightseeing. Thoughts?
Hopefully we'll have him facing frontwards by that time (he's already 30lbs and right on the cusp of kicking the seat) so that should help a little with boredom.

Also, any campgrounds along 54/400 or 56 hwy that would be recommended? Will probably stop in Hugeton KS one direction to visit a buddy and his family.

Also, any other tips would be great! I've pulled to Colorado plenty of times to go Jeeping but haven't taken the camper that far yet. It's a '13 36tbok

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-22-2018, 09:50 PM   #2

If your main goal is the wedding and not camping, compare camping cost vs hotel cost with gas saved not towing and leave the camper at home. Just a thought. Have a good safe trip and have fun.

Gas adds up quick when you are towing along way.

Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:12 PM   #3

Our twins are 2.5 and they do great in the truck when we travel. We normally take camping trips from 2-7 hours drives from home. We stop every few hours to let them out of the car seat and stretch....unless theyíre sleeping then we take advantage and just keep driving. We keep a couple books in the back for them to flip through and they get a choice of a stuffed animal that gets to ride with them. My wife downloads some of their favorite cartoons on the IPad and we prob that on the center armrest as a last resort if they get restless and we need to keep driving.

If your kid senses youíre excited and happy about the trip, he will be too.

2015 Evo 2700
2017 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi 4.10
Evo2700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
If your main goal is the wedding and not camping, compare camping cost vs hotel cost with gas saved not towing and leave the camper at home. Just a thought. Have a good safe trip and have fun.

Gas adds up quick when you are towing along way.
The wedding is definitely the primary goal, but making it into a camping/sightseeing trip also is part of the attraction of taking the 5er.
I'm well aware that there isn't really any savings with the camper vs hotel. If we drove and didn't take the camper unless we rented a car we'd still be taking the dually (we use it as our "going to town"/distance vehicle) so fuel savings is a moot point. It works into an extra tank of fuel each way.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:41 PM   #5

Our granddaughter was 2 last September and she is a wonderful traveler. Either in their motorhome or vehicles she is like a wee long haul trucker. She has movies on the iPad, a favourite toy or two, snacks at hand and away they go. They take breaks as needed if she's awake and drive on if she's asleep.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:52 PM   #6

When we had 2 youngsters (1 & 5) we headed out at 10 pm for an 8 hour drive. Worked like a charm because they fell asleep after about 45 minutes and even stayed asleep when we took a break at 4 hours for gas.
Lvn2tvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:56 PM   #7

we traveled from NM to WV a lot of times when our kids were little. make sure you stop every couple of hours and let the kids walk/run/play for about an hour to keep them from getting sore 9which results in unhappy kids) you should make it with one overnight each way with your distance. we did the NM to WV in 2 days (long days) but getting the kids out to walk around, (include meal stops and fuel stops). will make it a great trip. in those days I would record (videotapes) long play of the Disney channel shows they loved, we had a small tv with a VCR built into it and we would play the tapes the whole way and read books to them to keep them occupied. our oldest was 2-3 years old the youngest a baby. worked like a charm. we had a minivan and strapped the tv on the console between the 2 front seats
ValMelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:42 PM   #8
Canadian Member

Max. 2 hours before letting them out to run off some pent up energy. Movies and books worked for us. If they are old enough, observation games work great, too. My DW always sat beside them in the back seat to help entertain, get them snacks and drinks and to generally get “quality time”, while I drove.

Kids are all different. Some kids travel well, others hate it or are nervous travellers. It’s just the luck of the draw.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:12 PM   #9

Traveling with 2yr old.

Thank, for the tips, especially the stop every 2-3 hrs or so and let him run around. Usually right now we arenít going over 3-4 hrs so we usually one-shot it for the most part. One set of grandparents is 2.5hrs and my mom is 3.25hrs away so heís had to get used to travel.
Heís not much of a homebody for the most part he always wants to be going, especially in the truck. So far heís a great traveler pretty chill for the most part. We have an old iPad loaded with a few movies for him we use them to set him up for a nap before arrival at destination or to keep him awake until bedtime/destination.
Iím really hoping to make it to Hugoton in one shot, looks to be about 7.5hrs to there. That would put me at a good point to make it to Taos the next day. Great sand dunes are on my list for the trip and Iím not sure where else yet.
Old 03-10-2018, 10:41 PM   #10

I have a two year old great granddaughter and what I wouldnít give if she was traveling with us. That being said if she was traveling with us we would have to change how we travel. Four or five hours a day would be about all we could drive. We would have to take more breaks and probably get a dog. It would be a change for us for sure but one I wish I get the opportunity

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel