Old 05-05-2015, 12:33 PM   #21
Mod free 5er
When we lived in Moline, IL, every other weekend we would leave Moline @ 5:30 pm and get to Knoxville, IA around 8:00 for the sprint car races on Sat. nite. Leave around 10am Sun and be home by 1pm. That's about the limit we would do unless we were leaving on vacation, then it could and often times were all night & all the next day pulls.

OldCoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:41 PM   #22
I can't wait to retire and not have to get back to work. We are self-employed and started with three night campouts, than four, than five and now its eight. Saturday night thru the following Saturday. Try to limit it to five hour maximum drive and than set up, tear down and drive home is too much for a weekend. About seven trips a year with an additional two week trip at Xmas thru New Years.

2015 Rockwood 2703WS
2013 Ford F-150 5.0 3.55 ext cab

Rockwoodjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:27 PM   #23
Originally Posted by my_crib_too View Post
Slightly off topic but another thing we noticed in our area, if we take a half or full day off on Friday, traffic seems heavier and slower earlier in the day than if we leave after work (7pm about). Although our later drive will include more 18 wheel type trucks, you almost never see people with huge campers driving as the sun goes down. The people with the larger RVs are already enjoying a cold one around a campfire as we are starting our drive.

If we take an extended weekend, we like to take off on Monday. Who doesn't like skipping work on a Monday.

One of the great things about a seasonal site, you can arrive later and be camping in a few minutes. Turn on the water, a few lights and crack open a cold one. Takes about an hour to get packed up and cleaned up before the ride home.

And THAT is why we went seasonal 12 years ago ⬆️⬆️⬆️
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:03 PM   #24
Originally Posted by dieselbobcat View Post
Our rule of thumb.... number of hours driven is equal to or less than number of nights camped.

So for a long weekend, leaving Friday after work and staying until Sunday - 2hrs max.
I think that is an absolutely fantastic rule of thumb (our next trip is 4 hrs away & we are spending 4 nights ) We never check out on a Sunday to wake up Monday in a quiet campground .....
Camping since May 2013 .... FL & GA only so far .... loving it!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:02 AM   #25
For a weekend, Fri., Sat. Leaving Sun. One hour if leaving by 6pm Friday. I want to be where I'm going by 7pm at the latest.

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
BuckeyeChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:13 AM   #26
We always try close the business at 1:00 and start out at about 2:00 on Saturdays. I like to get there before dark and when traveling the interstates there is less of a chance of wrong way drivers.
Rockwoodjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:42 AM   #27
We live in south Texas. You have to drive a minimum of two hours just to get to a different area! The most we have ever gone in one day was 8 hours! That was painful!

2005 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4
2007 Rockwood Signature Ultralite, 31'
Zhanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:48 AM   #28
BamaGanza FROG Promoter
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Hour and a half unless a 3 day weekend.

08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "4 nights"
X2 - I'm with Ron here - especially if you are leaving after work (and in preparation I would have everything packed and hooked up so we could roll the min we got home and changed clothes)

Even on a 3 day weekend 2-ish hours would be pushing it.
Bob & Anne-Marie [BamaBob & 6 Actual]
| 2017 Berkshire XLT 43A with Ultrasteer Tag | Blue Ox Avail + KarGard II |
| SMI AF-1 Air Brake | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD | Pedego Bikes |
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:58 PM   #29
Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
A lot depends, Michigan is 600 miles north to south (Detroit-ish to Copper Harbor).
I have done many weekend trips of 300 mile trips each way (Detroit to the Mackinac bridge), both Boy Scouts (tent camping) and with our hybrid trailer. I'm 55 years young now and my night vision is not what it was when I was 40. I will have to see how comfortable I am driving our motorhome at night (it drives well, but requires more vigilance than a car). I prefer 2-3 hour drives (over 4-6 hour drives), but the further north you go in Michigan the better the camping.
Bill & Renee from Novi, Michigan
2006 Lexington 255DS
NoviBill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:06 PM   #30
Novi. Remember half the fun is the road trip. Slow down' relax and enjoy the drive.

2015 Salem 27RKSS
2015 Ram 2500 CC 4x4 Cummins
55' Chevy Bel-Air
Burgers on the BBQ and a cold beer
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote