Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2016, 12:33 PM   #21

Send a message via Skype™ to Dojomom
While I was looking into full-timing it, I talked to many people who had motor homes, travel trailers, and 5th wheels. One individual lived full time in a teardrop. He definitely made use of his outdoor space! At first, I considered a 15' TT, but my daughter convinced me to move up to 24' with a slide out. We have been here for about six months. We would not have been comfortable with both of us in the smaller one, and this bigger one will seem huge when I am alone. My daughter plans to move as soon as two conditions are met: she turns 18 and has full time work. As a minimalist, this size works for me, with room to spare. One friend told me that he and his wife started with one like mine, but quickly moved up to 35' fiver. For me, smaller is better.

Before I got old, I thought having an actual tent instead of just a tarp was luxury camping. I'm enjoying 25' travel trailer.
Dojomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:47 PM   #22

If you're happy with your self and others, a tent will suffice. It's all about being content. Have had a 1978 Toyota car with a tent, 36' diesel MH, now a 24' TT. it fits our new needs. Not full timing but spent a lot of time in it. Enjoy what you have.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:00 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqparalegal1 View Post
If you're happy with your self and others, a tent will suffice. It's all about being content. Have had a 1978 Toyota car with a tent, 36' diesel MH, now a 24' TT. it fits our new needs. Not full timing but spent a lot of time in it. Enjoy what you have.
X2 ~~ a $50 tent or $5million MH. What makes you happy, what you can afford, and most of all what you USE.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:52 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
X2 ~~ a $50 tent or $5million MH. What makes you happy, what you can afford, and most of all what you USE.
You are correct CaptJohn, camping is not a competition. It is for the enjoyment of everyone in their own comfort zone.

Our honeymoon was in a 10' slide-in. We have camped in a tent, a 21' TT, an 8 ft. slide-in with 2 kids, a 21 ft "C", and an A in the mix-not in order of ownership. Now we have a 27' C with 3 slides.

In retrospect, the unit we were most comfortable with was the 21' C. We owned it for 11 years. We did very little to it other than seal the roof, tires and brakes. It treated us well. Had we been able to get the same floor plan now, it would have been our choice-no slides, yet a very open floor plan. It met our criteria with a family-we were happy, we could afford it, and it was adequate for what we use. Can we afford what we now have? Sure, but for us more is not better.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:09 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

I think it is all about having adequate floor space when you go for weeks or months at a time; so that you aren't bumping into each other.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:36 AM   #26

I think the only possible mistake is to consider trading now. Others have already said it. Use it, see how it fits, make a list of likes and dislikes and then if the answer is to trade, you will have a better understanding what it is you should trade to up or down, with what options.
Enjoy it in the meantime and good luck with your travels/adventures.
fastwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 12:16 PM   #27

Have seen folks full time in a 11 foot truck camper and 45 foot motor homes. What is right for one person would never work for others. Personally 36 to 38 feet is right for us. Enough room for clothes, food, decent bed, a washer/dryer and space to be seperated from the wife when necessaty.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 01:40 PM   #28

Right now in our park in Eloy, AZ, I have met couples that full time in Class B's, pickup campers and small Class C's. I have a niece that is living her dream of full timing in a tent (camping her way across America while she's young).

It depends on your ability to adapt to small inside space and how much time you can spend outside.
Allzright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:40 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedu View Post
Have seen folks full time in a 11 foot truck camper and 45 foot motor homes. What is right for one person would never work for others. Personally 36 to 38 feet is right for us. Enough room for clothes, food, decent bed, a washer/dryer and space to be seperated from the wife when necessaty.
Agree ~~ we are at 35' and probably could FT in it. It works for us and we have easily stayed up to 2 months without a problem. Wife decided to sell the W/D as it took longer to do one small load than to do several loads at the camp laundry. I was happy as it added damp air (just a little) in the bedroom. We had a vented combination W/D. The only downfall is more closet space that my wife has filled.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:33 PM   #30

Lived in 25' with no slides for 4 years (averaging 300+ days/year). The last year I was just sick of the camper being tight. The bed was only place you didn't feel where the wasn't touching you. I had less problems with it but love 35' and 3 slides. Family was been with me for over a year now.

If like us you will find you bring stuff you think you will use but never do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:11 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpipeliner View Post
Lived in 25' with no slides for 4 years (averaging 300+ days/year). The last year I was just sick of the camper being tight. The bed was only place you didn't feel where the wasn't touching you. I had less problems with it but love 35' and 3 slides. Family was been with me for over a year now.

If like us you will find you bring stuff you think you will use but never do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
We are at 35' with 3 slides too. Just my wife and I. The 'upstairs' bedroom helps if wanting to watch different shows at night or a quiet place to read. We have spent 5 weeks straight in it and did not feel cramped. Spring and fall It will be 1 - 2 weeks until winter and then 2 months. Actually refreshing to leave 2900 sq ft for a while.