Old 01-23-2016, 11:16 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevemc View Post
When is it time? is a tough question to answer. Everyone's time is different depending on income, savings, debt, health, etc., etc. The only sure thing is that if you wait long enough it will be too late.
Good advice.

91 days camped 2015
15 days camped 2016 more planned
Wayne Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 12:12 PM   #92

When I was able to retire I recall telling the Chief I would stay on as long as the job was still fun. When it became a burden then I retired. Haven't missed most of the job. Retired at 55 and my bride retired at 50.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:37 PM   #93

I found out retiring from the Government (24 yrs military then 13 yrs Civil Service) almost requires a PhD. So I did research and developed a PowerPoint briefing for others. In it I always gave three simple pieces of advice for those planning to retire: 1 - Save to the max extent possible (gets you used to lower income while increasing the amount you'll have in retirement); 2 - As much a possible, forego other pleasures to entire retirement debt free (how sweet it is); 3 - (this is the most ignored) Entire retirement healthy. While you may not have complete control over your health, a rigorous plan of exercising (walking is just as great as running, and it cuts down on impact stress) on the average adds 6 years to your life! And, they are normally much healthier years with more energy and better disposition (my DW loves that part). Enjoy the best years of your life!
Old 01-29-2016, 01:25 PM   #94
Georgia Frog Rally 2017

Well I retire at 62 after spending 43 years in the industry of RR. That was a goal I had set after seeing my father work him self to death and never saw a dime of retirement, he only made it to 59. So i said that is not going to happen to me. If I have the funds and can go I will and I did. Never looked back best decision I've ever made. My DW retired 3 years ago at 67 and she said after retiring why did I not go sooner. Whats a couple of extra bucks on retirement. When I retired I take home $100 a month less than if I was still working and I have darn good insurance. No brainer there.

I look at folks working as others have and also here the story of I'll make just a bit more on retirement or waiting on bonus or a buy out. As I've to most if you can afford to go do it life is to short not to enjoy what you worked so long for. We live comfortably not much different than when we worked as we have always been spend thrifty. I know one thing I worked for it and I'm going to spend and enjoy while I can. Later RJD
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2015--46
Days booked for 2016--60 missed by 2
Days camped in 2016 58
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:05 PM   #95

Financial guys say when your investments will easily sustain you to age 95, taking into account, reasonable growth, setbacks, inflation, etc.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:45 PM   #96

For most of us, not retiring until that goal is met would mean never retiring. To me, the time is more valuable than anything else and I will be willing to take a reasonable risk of running out of retirement money and living only on S.S.
I would rather live modestly(Like in my camper!) than wish I had retired sooner. A friend from church just bought his first RV last Sept. and had planned to winter in Texas. He died at 69 before ever using it. Our target age is 60.

Seasonally in the Grand Marias, MN campground
On the beautiful shores of Lake Superior

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:05 PM   #97

A lot of good points.As far as saving up till ya got enough. When the day finally comes ya walk outside and get hit by an f-150 eco-boost hauling a 8k trailer ;o). Ya never know so do it sooner than later and NJOY.
Burgers on the BBQ and a cold beer
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:43 PM   #98
Moderator Emeritus

Some wrongfully assume that retirement means you stop working and can never go back. Or if you do go back you can't go back to your previous field.

I know a great lady who worked in the defense contractor field (contracts and such) for over 40 years. A couple of years ago, she retired. But about a year later, she was asked by my company to work part-time as a consultant. She didn't really want to but, get this, we offered to pay her what she was making full-time but only had to work 20-hours a week! (And she often works from home...or wherever she is.)

Bottom line is that knowledge is valuable. Many times, we're not hired for what we do as much as what we know. (Especially when dealing with things worth millions of dollars.)
5-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:52 PM   #99

ColoradoRick. Special circumstance but good point and great story.
Burgers on the BBQ and a cold beer
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:56 PM   #100

Enjoyed all the comments on this thread. Just looked at my social security statement and I started paying in 1963 at age 15. Paid every year since. Am now 67 and in excellent health and plan to hang it up in a few months and start traveling. I have lived in my rv many years while working and consulting at different places in the US - cheaper, more convenient than renting an appt. or hotel. Home is in FL and the wife and I are ready to enjoy some things for ourselves. BTW - with this economy and this government I don't think you can ever have enough money or count on a pension or social security. Some up in DC already think it all belongs to them.