Old 10-07-2016, 10:15 AM   #111
Lost in time

I 'retired' from my 9-5 job at 56 (I'm 66) but I'll never retire from farming.

Old 10-07-2016, 08:26 PM   #112

Retired military and Civil Service. No debt whatsoever. Bought a nice new MH and started really living...or so I thought. Sorta made me feel guilty with all this luxury. Then I read a book called "Going 'Til You're Gone" by Gary Miller. So, now we travel whenever we feel like it, and go wherever we want. Then we spend time helping others. Went to Haiti twice this year once for just ten days (doing construction) and once for two days to train "trainers". Now, I really feel a lot better about life, i.e. doing something for me and doing something for others.

Old 10-13-2016, 01:10 AM   #113

Our time comes in16 days! Woo Hoo! I'm 60 & DW turns 59 soon. Eager to relish life while we can.

We have a travel plan with bucket list favorites and then plan to campground host at National & State Parks. Nothing set in stone just plan to wander. Keeping the S&B for now, have to come home to visit the Grands, oh and their parents!

Forester 2451s
Old 10-13-2016, 01:33 AM   #114

I did it because I got tired of going to work. I was 58. I decided I have saved enough money to survive. Can't collect SS yet. Wife is doing it next May just after her 58th birthday...it's only been 4 months. Should have done it sooner. Life is good.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:57 PM   #115

DH and I are retired CA teachers. He taught special education. I taught art, English and ancient history in middle school. He retired in 2013 ago at 73, and I retired in 2014 years ago at
58. Early for me, but I was needed at home. I worked since 16, so being home during the work week still feels luxurious. I started a small textile design business about 5 years ago, and need to put more into it. I will never get bored! Planning RV trips is fun too!

2016 Forester 2291S Class C
2016 Jeep Wrangler

Dana Point, CA
Old 10-13-2016, 01:39 PM   #116

When my currently 92 year old mother had a series of 3 strokes three years ago, I was told she need full-time care. So, I closed my business and became a full-time care provider for her.

I have no answers for anyone as I think no one can advise you because they can't list all of the relevant issues for you...they just list the relevant issues for them from their perspective.

I'm 66 and a year ago my boyhood friend died at age 65 from a severe illness. About 5 years ago my best friend who was five years older than me collapsed on his bicycle from a heart attack during a cycling event and was dead before he hit the ground.

Frankly it is ok to die at ones desk, but I chose not to. I have learned to live more simply and enjoy it better. I have developed some old interests of mine and taken up some new interests.

We have five senses. When one starts to go you can't get it back. The primary sense for RVing is visual. The primary sense for cooking is taste.

My study of human nature, reading old texts by five philosophers, suggests that happiness is not gained by meeting goals. It is temporarily gained by using our senses, like when we are on a road trip.

Anyway, I have gained great peace of mind as a result of my studies and quite a bit of happiness by taking their advice to just stop and spend some time understanding myself and my past, and stop comparing myself to others or worrying about influencing others.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:51 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philos3 View Post
When my currently 92 year old mother had a series of 3 strokes three years ago, I was told she need full-time care. So, I closed my business and became a full-time care provider for her.

I have no answers for anyone as I think no one can advise you because they can't list all of the relevant issues for you...they just list the relevant issues for them from their perspective.

I'm 66 and a year ago my boyhood friend died at age 65 from a severe illness. About 5 years ago my best friend who was five years older than me collapsed on his bicycle from a heart attack during a cycling event and was dead before he hit the ground.

Frankly it is ok to die at ones desk, but I chose not to. I have learned to live more simply and enjoy it better. I have developed some old interests of mine and taken up some new interests.

We have five senses. When one starts to go you can't get it back. The primary sense for RVing is visual. The primary sense for cooking is taste.

My study of human nature, reading old texts by five philosophers, suggests that happiness is not gained by meeting goals. It is temporarily gained by using our senses, like when we are on a road trip.

Anyway, I have gained great peace of mind as a result of my studies and quite a bit of happiness by taking their advice to just stop and spend some time understanding myself and my past, and stop comparing myself to others or worrying about influencing others.
A very thoughtful and thought provoking post. Thank you for sharing with us.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:13 AM   #118

I'm 54 and I'm prepping for my 2nd retirement now, 1st one was at 38 when I retired from the Army. My wife has 2 1/2 years to go for her teachers retirement to kick in, shes 52 1/2. We just sold our northern home and bought another in the mountains of West Virginia, which is centrally located to all our kids. Just got our new Salem Hemisphere this summer too, so we can travel and stay near each of our kids when we both retire. Its coming up fast! I began thinking about retirement at 18 years old and set some aside in addition to my military pension and a 2nd pension. My goal was to retire making almost as much as working. I'll reach that goal by 57, and then everyday will be Saturday!
Old 10-21-2016, 11:16 AM   #119

Back in 2003, my father passed away unexpectedly which left my Mother living alone and at which time I promised my mother that I would do whatever it took to keep her in her home for as long as I was able to.

At that time, I had absolutely no notion of retiring. I loved my job and the people I worked with and seemed to fulfill my every need emotionally and spiritually. Boy was I wrong.

My mom suffered from COPD as well as chronic anemia and was being treated for macular degeneration. She was able to function on her own for a number of years but in 2009, her WMD had progressed to the point where she lost her central vision and subsequently lost her drivers license. Between her needing almost daily assistance as well as transportation needs for appt's and such, it was becoming clear I could not keep taking time off of work to meet her needs and if I were to keep her in her home as promised, I needed to retire.

So after almost 40 years of public service (4 USAF, 36 civil service) I retired and took care of my Mother until last year when her COPD progressed to the point where I alone could no longer meet her medical needs. She entered hospice and passed peacefully less than a week later.

I thought about re-entering the workforce but that notion quickly faded. The last few years with my Mother has taught me that life can turn on a dime and you need to take advantage of every moment that life offers you to live it to the fullest. Working 9-5 anymore doesn't fit that scenario for me any longer. Thanks Mom!
Old 11-19-2016, 09:54 PM   #120

When is it time? I don't know about anybody else in the whole world, but for me it will be the day of my 66th birthday. I've worked long and hard, beat myself up over the years, and can't wait to actually get paid and not have to go to work. I WILL BE THE HAPPIEST MAN EVER IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD TO RETIRE. Only 3 more years, and I'm barely hanging on...