Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2016, 10:04 PM   #121
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdst51 View Post
When is it time? I don't know about anybody else in the whole world, but for me it will be the day of my 66th birthday. I've worked long and hard, beat myself up over the years, and can't wait to actually get paid and not have to go to work. I WILL BE THE HAPPIEST MAN EVER IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD TO RETIRE. Only 3 more years, and I'm barely hanging on...
I was 66 on 24Jul06 and my last day @ Lockheed Martin was 31Jul06. Got a my first retirement checks 01Aug06. Don't miss the flying somewhere every Mon morning, staying in 2-3 different motels in 2-3 different cities and eating 10-15 meals in a restaurant one bit.
Old 11-19-2016, 10:20 PM   #122

As we are all different/$/ location/job/ect. I stopped working at 63. Bored to death hard to find a part time job that gives me the freedom to go somewhere when i get the itch.Again the itch also involves $. Hard to understand when your young about planning for retirement. It's all good though i'm still posting replies.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 09:39 AM   #123

We retired 18 months ago at 56. We made a decision 20 years ago to do so and worked towards that end. We both have a pension, 403b, and insurance. We payed off most of the big stuff. We have lots of hobbies and RV friends all over the southwest. We have grandkids to keep us young. You are only bored if you want to be. Retirement is fantastic, but you have to plan and prepare for every aspect of it. The only thing we would of done different is to have retired earlier
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 08:52 PM   #124

I retired at 56. I let someone else run the machine shop and have since then. I'm 67 now and enjoying being the CEO and only doing what I want to.

I go in a 'fiddle around' frequently and get in the way, but I'm the owner so no one says anything.

Life is good. Enjoy it. Just got back from a hunting trip and going again in a month.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 11:31 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I was 66 on 24Jul06 and my last day @ Lockheed Martin was 31Jul06. Got a my first retirement checks 01Aug06. Don't miss the flying somewhere every Mon morning, staying in 2-3 different motels in 2-3 different cities and eating 10-15 meals in a restaurant one bit.
Sorry you had to work so long past your birthday... You're a lucky man!
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 01:44 PM   #126

Someone on this thread had a post about their retirement and referenced the book that guided their retirement - Going Til You're Gone by Gary Miller. Well, I purchased the book and just finished it. Great read and some wonderful insights.
I was wondering if the people who recommended this book would be willing to share what they are doing now and how they are putting these concepts to practice. I always worry that I was put here for something and that I have not yet accomplished it. Always searching for that and maybe that is what it really is - nothing in particular but a journey I need to continue.
johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 02:17 PM   #127

Never read the book, don't need to. I'm almost 70 and my wife and I have plenty enough to carry us until the end. Our goal is to spend it all before we take a dirt nap.

No worries here and never have been.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 03:28 PM   #128

The book is about using your resources to further the Kingdom of God and has some thought provoking things throughout. I was just wondering how the fellow that recommended it was using his time and talent to do so.
Old 03-03-2017, 03:54 PM   #129

I think this forum has something to do with members using their resources to further their desires to invest in an rv and further their camping, traveling, touring, living lifestyle, fishing, painting and drawing (myself) dreams. Members as such use their time and talent (including dollars and credit and sold homes) to do so. At least that is some of it as I understand it.

Any and all political, personal, self-evaluation, religious, social justice, mental, retirement to serve others, etc. problems and issues belong, me thinks, in other forums as well as leading to the directing of financial resources in other directions.

"Our goal is to spend it all before we take a dirt nap." This point of view is probably all you need to study, know, understand, and deal with...will save you a lot of reading and contemplation, as well as help you resolve all past ghosts that haunts one in the night and your concerns about what you were put here for and what you need to accomplish = to travel and live in an RV...

The only challenge is getting the timing right.
Philos3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 01:17 PM   #130

As the one who recommended the book, I can answer johnruf easily. I found the book while searching for some added thing to do to make my retirement years more meaningful. I'm 70 (retired at 67) and came to realize spending money on personal pleasure until I'm in a nursing home is empty. Through a Christian organization supported by the books author Gary Miller I travel overseas a couple of times a year teaching teachers how to teach. In three weeks I'm off to Bangladesh and Cambodia (oddly, that's where I had dropped bombs as a B-52 pilot during Vietnam Nam). I'm not much of a teacher, but what I do know I can share. At the end of each trip overseas, we load up the RV and head out for one to three months at a time. Regardless of all that, this is taking the thread off purpose. Anyone wanting further discussion, please PM me.
Old 03-05-2017, 02:44 PM   #131

"came to realize spending money on personal pleasure until I'm in a nursing home is empty"

Never let it be said that my personal good memories, full and meaningful life, and how I spend my money, needs to mirror someone else to be correct...to each enjoy their own Kingdoms.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:29 PM   #132

Excellent point! I guess it all comes down to how each of us defines "meaningful". Thankfully, to most of us on this forum, the definition will always include the words RV.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:36 PM   #133

I have read a few books as well, but by some philosophers than lived 500 to 2,000 years ago. One of them mentioned that movement is a very natural part of our life and what makes us happy. I took that to mean not just physical, but also mental and emotional. An RV is a way to put movement in our lives, actually all three: call it the Kingdom of RV.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:55 PM   #134

I was not trying to change the forum topics, just find the poster and now I have. I searched through 15 or so pages and did not find what I was looking for so I posted the above and it worked. I think everyone should do whatever makes them happy in retirement and RVing is a great way to spend it, see things, go places and do things you never had time to when working, etc. I love it, been camping over 60 years now and find it VERY relaxing and mentally stress free. And all the little fix-it things with an RV keep you busy enough in some cases. Finally retired for the 3rd and last time last year at 68.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:37 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnruff View Post
I was not trying to change the forum topics, just find the poster and now I have. I searched through 15 or so pages and did not find what I was looking for so I posted the above and it worked. I think everyone should do whatever makes them happy in retirement and RVing is a great way to spend it, see things, go places and do things you never had time to when working, etc. I love it, been camping over 60 years now and find it VERY relaxing and mentally stress free. And all the little fix-it things with an RV keep you busy enough in some cases. Finally retired for the 3rd and last time last year at 68.
I retired at 55 in 2003. Decided I needed more to do and found something that was on my schedule ~~ if and when I wanted to schedule. Turned 68 last year and retired the 2nd and final time. After 2003 I wondered how I had time to spend 50 - 60 hours a week working, now I wonder where I could find the time for 5 hours a week.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:09 AM   #136

With me, it was when i could no longer physically do my job. I worked 27 years in a steel mill doing a mans job. I retired 10 years ago. I will be 60 in May. Never regretted it for a moment. I miss the people i worked with, thats all. The money is tighter,of course. But i quilt and do crafts, if i need a little extra money, i make and sell something. Husband retired last June. He turned 62, and that was it. A year before, we looked around the house, and decided what needed replacing or fixed, that were big ticket items. Took care of them before he retired. Good luck, best wishes, and happy camping!
Old 04-16-2017, 09:45 AM   #137

For me it was when I realized Life style was worth more then a paycheck. I stopped to smell the coffee and saw how much I was missing by working my guts out. With that said I have had to make changes the things I gave up I didn't need to be happy.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote