Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2016, 01:26 PM   #21

61 here and retirement eligible. Unfortunately DW will not be eligible until 2017. Both of us in Civil Service so Health/live/eye/dental Insurance is not a issue. We plan on going FT in 2018 so we will be able to live on our pensions and not really need to touch SS or our 401(K)s

Bottom line: I'd retire now but would have nothing to do while DW continued to work. Both of us are counting down the days until SEP 2017!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:35 PM   #22

Retired at 60 and love it
rockjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:36 PM   #23
Doll House Two

I am 62 and retired 6 years ago from County Sheriff's office ( L.E.O ) I wanted to retire while all my certifications were up to date and with an impeccable service record. My home, vehicle and TT were paid off. Living on much less, I am comfortable, live on a tight budget but do not regret my decision. That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed my profession and the camaraderie of other officers and miss the challenges of my profession ! It is totally a personal call. I fill the challenge part with being a Big Brother Sister mentor :-) Good luck in your decision.
Doll House Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:37 PM   #24

DH and I had both decided ions ago that we were retiring at 65 instead of 62 because of insurance. Medicare + your supplemental + drug plan is a whole lot cheaper than private health insurance. We have now been retired 2 1/2 years and are loving every single minute of it. Everything we own is paid for but you will still have expenses when you retire - I.e. Electric bill, water bill, insurance on your home & all your toys, plus fuel for them & property taxes. When we travel, we put fuel & camping on a credit card and pay it off upon return. We don't want to dip into our IRA's unless absolutely necessary and prefer to live off our SS benefits - which we can do so very comfortably. The best advice is to plan, plan, and then plan some more. You will know when it is time to retire. I loved my job as did DH, but there will come a time when things start to change and you decide the changes aren't for you - this is when it is time to move on.

Do make an appt with Social Security and let them tell you what your benefits will be, less your Medicare. Figure on $100 each for your supplemental insurance plus your drug plan. You pay this individually - not as a couple. The balance will be what you should be comfortable living on. And don't forget, when it's time to pay income taxes, you will owe taxes unless you elect to have them withheld from your Social Security check.

Good luck on your decision and trust me, you will know when it's time. We did, have never looked back, and are having the absolute time of our lives!
Old 01-11-2016, 01:39 PM   #25

As said above, different answers for most. I was injured at work at 51 and put to pasture. Financially it worked fine but I learned I was what I did and still miss it every day (65 now). DH was set to retire at 58 but was red circled and well paid to go 6 months before then rehired as a consultant within 2 months at 2x pay (yup. We have already won the that lottery). He still does a bit of consulting when and where he wants but we camp and travel as much or little as we want. Nice to have been generous with the kids. Never figured retirement would be like this. I call it lifestyles of the old and aimless.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:41 PM   #26

Grrrrr..... 30 years to go.... Grrr...

"I need a time out, send me to the mountains and don't let me out until my attitude changes!"
BKBuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 02:59 PM   #27

Have a friend who is 62. Five divorces, lots of alimony and child support. All that is just now behind him, but he will never be able to afford to retire.

You make bad decisions in your life and it can cost you big.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 03:22 PM   #28

I am 61, DH is 57. Retired in 2013, he was disabled (LEO) and me, for the second time (US Army in 95), from state University position. Since our young adult sons decided not to pursue higher ed after HS, we were not putting $$$ towards tuition. (They all went back on their own dime for voc tech and AA programs). Every extra dime was put into 401 and/or 457 plans when we could. Brown bag lunches x 40 years!!! My military service affords us (both vets) excellent medical coverage; my time with the state covers dental. Most LEOs in our state get no medical or dental benefit, unbeknownst to the general public. We had actually planned to stay on a bit longer for both our careers but once he was officially on short term disability, we advanced our timeline. I knew he would not be enjoying his time at home alone. I miss the intellectual challenges, some of the camaraderie, but I volunteer about 10 hours a week at granddaughter's school when we are not on the road, take classes online to keep the gray matter going (Coursera, eDX, local Spanish classes), and catch up on all the yard work, house work, baking, etc., that I glossed over x 40 years. I would lose my mind sitting around all day, so I have a plan every day to keep somewhat busy.
blue river is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 03:55 PM   #29

Money and finances are important but it isn't the whole story. To retire you need to have a reason to get up in the morning. What is your purpose? What gets you excited and engaged? Lots of us identify with our jobs and when we quit working our identity changes. How will you answer the question, What do you do? Will you miss the work and your workmates. I've run into a lot of people who struggle with retirement and don't know what to do with themselves. Others bloom and see it as the best part of their life. In any case it is a huge transition for most and it isn't all smiles and walking hand in hand down the beach like the finance brochure show you. Its great that your are giving it some thought. Things I would consider: finances, mental and physical health, family needs, purpose, identity, spiritual needs, recreation, contribution to others. Lots to think about and lots of wonderful opportunities when the time is right. Best of success.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:00 PM   #30

Like Stormrider151, I loved my job from day1 until the last day. I put 35 years in, rose in the ranks. I was 56 when I pulled the plug. I have a good pension, all bills are being paid, complete medical & drug coverage, out of country coverage as well. We didn't owe anything when I retired. That was the plan. I'm in my 14th year of retirement, still miss the job, miss the people I worked with and miss the Adrenalin rush when fighting a fire. I was ready mentally and financially. I could have stayed another 4 years and would probably be making 10 grand more a year but I was starting to get p*ssed off with the front office's decision making. So instead of retiring being in a bad frame of mind, I retired. Good luck to you.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 04:03 PM   #31

I started collecting SS at age 66 and continued to work until 68. No second job, wife did not work outside of the home. Still have a mortgage, TV loan, FW loan and MH loan. Sure it would be nice to be debt free, but I have a pension, SS and a 401K. I plan on spending all my money before I die, not saving it for the kids to spend.http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...lies/smile.gif Loved my job and I do miss it at times. Don't miss the callouts in the middle of the night and not getting paid for the overtime work.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:53 PM   #32
Site Team

First - this is a great topic!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKBuilds View Post
30 years to go is a bit of a long wait but you can make good use of the time.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 05:15 PM   #33

I'll be done in 9 months and 20 days. Everything I have is paid for and it's been that way for 15 years or so... I stopped paying interest as soon as I could. Delores is retried already, as she is a touch older than me. My 65th is in October and I'll be eligible for Medicare, so I won't be paying large health insurance bills. I'm a railroad employee so our retirement will be a bit better than SS and we'll get 2 other pensions on top of that... and we have a pretty good sum in our IRAs... I've timed mine around the Medicare thing because of the crazy-high medical insurance costs.

I will miss my job and the folks I work with... like a sore toe... but I WILL miss them.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 05:25 PM   #34

I'm 35 and have 17 years in the military. I've moved up rapidly and am set to "retire" in 3 years with my undergrad and my MBA paid for by the military. Also my Post-9/11 GI Bill has been transferred fully to my only son making his college and monthly stipend paid for. My wife even took a handful of classes until she maxed out her benefit and could take no more.

My background is in Nuclear power, sales/recruiting, engineering, aviation, safety, electrical, security, and obviously an MBA.

I plan on starting my second career at 39 years old and only giving them 20 years max.

My military pension provides my healthcare and a COLA ~$40k a year.

I hope to be set like others in this thread have shown how to do when I get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
getsum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 05:32 PM   #35
Citrus County, Fl.

getsum, thanks for your service and it looks like you have a great future ahead of you. When you finally retire at 59 you should have it made.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 05:41 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKBuilds View Post
Brian - SAVE SAVE SAVE. My ex had grandiose plans of retiring on her parent's wealth,,,,,, but she spent it all before they passed away despite my objections. There's more to the story but I got out as soon as I could - but not before she broke me as well. THAT was my fault. But now, I am finally with my true soul mate and we are happy and looking forward to retirement.
2023 GDRV Reflection 150 226RK
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 05:45 PM   #37

No one retires.... they only change jobs.....

Several generations ago, no one had thoughts of 'retirement'. People worked until they could no longer work, or they died....

If you are able to 'retire', that is nice, do it and enjoy your station in life with travel. But be aware that the generation(s) coming up behind you will never see or have thoughts of 'retirement'. History does not repeat itself, buy it does echo. Civilization has changed so much in the last 50 years and it will change so much more in the next 50. History is happening now. Note it and live it.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:34 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyRetirees View Post
When you are debt free and have enough of a pension to retire comfortably. Don't work one more day than you absolutely have to. Been retired 11 years now and enjoying every minute of it.
Couldn't agree more! Enjoy life while you can!
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:38 PM   #39

When your body tells you, you are no longer 21 and you have more doctor visits than you have time to go to them LOL
Old 01-11-2016, 06:40 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwinginit View Post
When your body tells you, you are no longer 21 and you have more doctor visits than you have time to go to them LOL
Haha! Good answer!
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote