Old 01-12-2016, 07:20 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springerdad View Post
Brian - SAVE SAVE SAVE. My ex had grandiose plans of retiring on her parent's wealth,,,,,, but she spent it all before they passed away despite my objections. There's more to the story but I got out as soon as I could - but not before she broke me as well. THAT was my fault. But now, I am finally with my true soul mate and we are happy and looking forward to retirement.
Thanks, my wife is a banker, so we have a pretty good financial plan. We are in a 15 year mortgage, camper 10 year, and 2 left on the truck and no cc debt. By the time our son gets his drivers license we'll be debt free.

We had to practically beg my father in law into retirement. He was worried he wouldn't have enough money. He's got more then enough money and we told him we want him to spend it all before he goes because we don't need it.

"I need a time out, send me to the mountains and don't let me out until my attitude changes!"
BKBuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:29 AM   #62

KEN, Davidg had some great advice. As did others, a great read.

To be quick:

You'll know when you're ready.

Get your house in order. That means no debt. Don't leave your career to early, just to find out you can't make ends meet. Then go to work at half the wage.

Live within your means, your budget.

I retired at 51 and 2 weeks. In no time my job was out of my system. After 30 yrs and 6 weeks getting up at 4AM. In 2 weeks I'm sleeping till 9:30. I worked in the transit industry. Still meet with coworkers from time to time for lunch. It was a very satisfying career, health care, pension, the works. The RV strays ready. Enjoy Life! It's way to short.

Old 01-12-2016, 05:18 PM   #63

When I just got tired. Been working since I was 12.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:12 PM   #64

So jealous reading this thread. I'll never be able to retire. Long story but lost my wife 7 years ago. At the same time I lost my job. Another long story. Spent the life savings 401k, inheritance etc. keeping her alive an extra 6 months always hoping for a miracle. Along with raising 2 daughters. So consider being able to retire a blessing. But if I had the choice to do it all over again the same way, I think I would. She was a great woman.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:47 PM   #65

Rblake39.......

If I could "like" your post.....I would !
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:59 PM   #66

Send a message via Skype™ to Discipline39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post

Oh. I retired at 65 cause i hated Mondays. Probably should have worked a few more years.
I love this thread! I gave my retirement notice yesterday. Going 'til June 30. Why? Because I really like Saturday and Sundays
When my boss asked why, I had plenty of reasons... but my main one was, "Because I can"
Not quite 60 and have NO loans.

Chris & Deb
2013 F150 3.5 ECO
Wildwood X-Lite 262BH
Campahedu.com
Discipline39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:06 PM   #67

I owe on the house (@ 3.375%) and the TV 9@ 0.0%) and the camper (@ 4.19%). My income more than covers all loans but most of all investment income is still over 7%. When loans make money it is a gift. Besides ~~ home and camper interest are a tax deduction.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:42 AM   #68

Great topic, I just passed what I hope is the half way point of my career.

Like NoviBill my spouse is a type 1 diabetic, and getting out of the daily grind sooner rather than later is a priority of mine. One struggle I have is my pension. age 58=5K month, 62=8.75K, 65=10K. That's a lot to leave on the table to depart at age 58. My wife has a similar pension as well.

Are the kids going to be self sufficient? I tease my wife that with 4 kids, we are likely to have one "Failure to Launch" in the basement. They will all be over 18 when I am 54 so I think we are good there.

Overall, I feel pretty fortunate. After 3 years active duty Army (when my wife and I made around 13K our first year) I used the GI Bill and Illinois Veterans Grant to go to college. That has to be one of my best life decisions ever, as my wife and I both earn quite a bit more than we ever imagined.

I like to think my wife and I vacation/relax pretty good in our working years and they we aren't the "we will get to that when we retire type", but even now, at 42 I am looking forward to getting out if the rat race. For those retired enjoy it, and please share any "I wish I new what I know now examples for the rest of us to learn from"
Old 01-13-2016, 09:21 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6inthefamily View Post
Great topic, I just passed what I hope is the half way point of my career.

Like NoviBill my spouse is a type 1 diabetic, and getting out of the daily grind sooner rather than later is a priority of mine. One struggle I have is my pension. age 58=5K month, 62=8.75K, 65=10K. That's a lot to leave on the table to depart at age 58. My wife has a similar pension as well.

Are the kids going to be self sufficient? I tease my wife that with 4 kids, we are likely to have one "Failure to Launch" in the basement. They will all be over 18 when I am 54 so I think we are good there.

Overall, I feel pretty fortunate. After 3 years active duty Army (when my wife and I made around 13K our first year) I used the GI Bill and Illinois Veterans Grant to go to college. That has to be one of my best life decisions ever, as my wife and I both earn quite a bit more than we ever imagined.

I like to think my wife and I vacation/relax pretty good in our working years and they we aren't the "we will get to that when we retire type", but even now, at 42 I am looking forward to getting out if the rat race. For those retired enjoy it, and please share any "I wish I new what I know now examples for the rest of us to learn from"
I think you are smart to assume you will have failure to launch or boomerangers in your house. It is very common these days and I have 2 boomeranging boys myself. It can be a lot of extra expenses you maybe didn't plan for. In my case they came back with all sorts of financial, legal, drug/alcohol and other resource draining issues. As parents you often have to continue to push and provide even when they are in their 20s.

Seasonally in the Grand Marias, MN campground
On the beautiful shores of Lake Superior

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:43 AM   #70
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I'm semi-retiring this year (51) after 35yrs. Although I don't think I'll ever fully retire (own the company, but have an 8yr old and 2 in college), I do plan on taking a month or 2 off at a time and enjoy some of the retiree benefits. I do still enjoy working and would go stir crazy without it.

2015 - 41
2016 - 81
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote