Old 01-15-2016, 11:15 AM   #81
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

My Dad died 16yrs ago at age 60, after battling cancer for 9 yrs. Luckily he had a few good years that he could travel during that time. Since that time I had decided to seize the moment, live for today, and don't look back with regrets of "I wished I would've...". This partly explains why I'll continue to work, but the memories I've made while my kids were young, will far outweigh any luxury I would have from not working(however little) while in retirement age, or inheritance that I would leave my children. So I guess I really started my "retirement" 16yrs ago, but I have the advantage of being able to take off and not report to anyone. Point I think I'm trying to make, don't cheat yourself early on, tomorrow is unknown.

2015 - 41
2016 - 81
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 09:02 AM   #82

Many are well spoken.

It seems most of us equate happiness to no longer punching the clock. Forget that.

The time to make memories is when you are young and when your kids are young. So, speaking to the majority of you who have to work, that means not letting your job or your drive to succeed interfere with family (and to that I add friends). Too soon, kids grow up and leave and friends die off. Don't be a workaholic; and if your job is so demanding that you don't have time for yourself and family, get another job. Be honest with yourself, are you like this? Do not wait for this pie in the sky retirement, if you do - many times - you have let life pass you by.

To those who work and work to build larger and larger wealth, because what the future holds is unknown and you don't want to run out of money at the end of life, or for whatever reason; I say, be concerned about today and let tomorrow worry for itself.
WW

A Modder's work is never done!
WolfWhistle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:35 AM   #83

Very well said. Make the memories while you can. We took the kids on vacations as much as we could. Our old bunkhouse got a lot of use. But kids grow up and are now at an age(15, 20 & 25) where being with the parents is no longer of any real interest. I truly miss that 3-13 year old stage where my boys really wanted to do things with me. So with that part of our life moving in to the rear view mirror my wife and I are looking forward to doing all the things we couldn't afford of didn't have time for. As was said, tomorrow is promised to no one so we don't want to wait too long.

Seasonally in the Grand Marias, MN campground
On the beautiful shores of Lake Superior

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 11:04 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
Many are well spoken.

It seems most of us equate happiness to no longer punching the clock. Forget that.

The time to make memories is when you are young and when your kids are young. So, speaking to the majority of you who have to work, that means not letting your job or your drive to succeed interfere with family (and to that I add friends). Too soon, kids grow up and leave and friends die off. Don't be a workaholic; and if your job is so demanding that you don't have time for yourself and family, get another job. Be honest with yourself, are you like this? Do not wait for this pie in the sky retirement, if you do - many times - you have let life pass you by.

To those who work and work to build larger and larger wealth, because what the future holds is unknown and you don't want to run out of money at the end of life, or for whatever reason; I say, be concerned about today and let tomorrow worry for itself.
WW
While this is a great philosophy, remember - "everything in moderation." Meaning - You can't/shouldn't let tomorrow completely "worry for itself." You need enough wealth for retirement so you don't become a burden on those kids you talk about.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 12:32 PM   #85

Been retired 6 years now, when I run into people older then I who are still working, I ask them why? The tell me they are waiting for a cash incentive or buy out or another few percent on their retirement. I tell them as soon as they can financially go, to go and don't wait. Know of too many who DOTJ, or never cashed that first check after retiring, sad IMO.

LTRVing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 10:47 AM   #86

Go when you can

Boeing did a study years ago and found that every year worked past 55 took two years off your life expectancy. I retired at 51. My friend asked me how I knew I could afford to retire. I told him we had been living on what we would make at retirement for several years (and socking away the rest). I was a part time stock broker for a short while, and everytime I would do the calculations for my fellow gov't. workers, showing what they would make when retired, they retired. My gross pay went to 47% of what I was making, but my actual paycheck was 67%. I don't miss the money, and I don't miss my job.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:30 AM   #87
Usually Confused Member

I've retired twice. My first job was a government position that allowed retirement after 20 years, age 50, or 25 years, any age. I had 30 years in so that meant I had been eligible for five years. I didn't dislike the job but was getting a little bored with it. Went in to work one day and saw some prime examples of US gubment political correctness. I decided I was through with that stuff, dropped my paperwork on the table and walked out the door. First thing my wife said when I got home was "well, you better find another job because you're not gonna hang around here bothering me all day".

Took another job which involved traveling all the time (week on, week off schedule...the wife really liked that). Fast forward 15 years. A co-worker (good friend, too) was found dead (heart attack) in a hotel room in Italy. Six or so months later another co-worker died of a stroke in a hotel in China. Both of them were 10-12 years younger than me.

That was it for me. I decided there was no way I'd be found dead in Madagascar or China or the Caribbean or any of the other gosh-awful places I traveled to. Retired for real and fully intend to never go back to work again.

Best thing about retiring was it gave me two years of real time and travel with my wife, who I lost after 47 years. I was lucky enough to have over two million points each valid on Delta Airlines and Hilton hotels, so we got to make some really nice trips together.

Now, I'm so busy I don't understand how I ever had time to work.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 12:03 PM   #88

I bailed at 61. Managed to get everything paid off first. Now I wake up realize I don't have to go to work and go back to sleep. Sometimes I do this 2-3 times a day. I will never all the money I want, but then I won't have all the time either. I think I will run out of time first..If I had known retirement was this good, I would never have worked, would have just retired.......Don't wait do it NOW!
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:34 PM   #89

I just retired. I'm 55 years old. My husband is retiring this year also. He is 61. We just decided that we wanted to retire while we could still move, and we want to enjoy it. So we were more concerned with running out of time. Luckily we have saved a sufficient amount to supplement our income. We plan on selling the house and living on the road for a year- can't wait!
Old 01-23-2016, 07:21 AM   #90

When is it time? is a tough question to answer. Everyone's time is different depending on income, savings, debt, health, etc., etc. The only sure thing is that if you wait long enough it will be too late.

5er - 2013 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Classic Champagne Touring Edition
Stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote