Old 10-04-2016, 09:36 PM   #1

Who has an air fryer??

Got to looking at Air Fryers (no idea what started this)

Soooo wondering who has one? What Brand? Do you like it?

Any info appreciated.

2016 Forester 3011DSF
Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:50 PM   #2

Hello we have Thermos Big Easy, this is a infrared propane fired cooker. Uses hot air convection to cook chickens or a turkey. No Grease needed.

https://www.wayfair.ca/TRU-Infrared-...ource=hotdeals

I am pretty sure you are asking about a internal counter top unit though.

"Oh Canada,True North Strong and Free!"
B and B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:06 PM   #3

Nothing wrong with an air fryer. It really doesn't fry anything, that is a marketing word. However, as an RV cooking tool it does a nice job of what is intended...don't be hesitant to buy one. Uses a couple of drops of oil. Oil helps to connect the product to the heat.
============
Frying with oil is often a problem mostly of making one or more technique mistakes. For most cooks, they are probably better off to use an air fryer unless trained by a chef.

You can also use a home oven to "air fry," but an RV oven often is not up to it.

Some of the problems are 1) using the wrong oil, not cleaning it before storage, or using the oil more than a couple of times. Frying with a high quality oil is basically expensive and you have storage issues 2) with home fryers you need to cook in small amounts otherwise the temperature can go down and then you are marinating your product in oil 3) cleaning issues and 4) risk of fire.

Add misinformation about frying with oil as a major problem.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:24 PM   #4

Here are a couple of ideas:

1) Simple outside grill. Put an old wok on an appropriate surface. Throw in some chunks of lump charcoal, light it and place a cheap stainless steel rack over them. When the charcoal is white put your product on top and grill it without a cover. If you use some specialty wood like apple wood, you have to be careful or it will over flavor your product. Advantage of wood cooking = smoky flavors. Propane provides no flavor advantages.

2) Simple outside smoker. Use a simple rectangle deep stainless steel chef's cooker with lid. Place soaked apple chips on the bottom and a rectangle grill or drip tray over the chips. Heat outside the RV on anything that is hot until it smokes. Put in your product and cover. Steams and smokes.

Don't use either in your RV. Yes, you could use the wok as a smoker. Just clean everything well.

Learning to control your temperatures is key.
Old 10-05-2016, 12:50 PM   #5

have one at home not sure of the brand, it does a good job and seems to work
better with frozen food
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 01:11 PM   #6

It seems we have two different conversations going on. I believe the "air fryer" referred to in the question is a small appliance, electric, counter top style, essentially a convection cooker. I first saw these demonstrated at Williams Sonoma a couple years ago but balked at the price tag. I picked one up on QVC about 9 months ago for $99, a Today's Special Value. It is perfect with frozen food. I make wings for my guys, cheese sticks, egg rolls, etc. I have made chicken breasts, burgers and small steaks. French fries are also easy and good with no excess oil. The "fry" label comes about because these traditionally fried foods only need a few drops of oil to produced the fried flavor. I rarely use more than a teaspoon of oil for a batch of french fries. An oil sprayer is convenient as well. The unit does not get too warm but the basket does get quite hot so this is not an appliance for children in my opinion. I use it at home and would not hesitate on the road. The product cookbook and the one also offered on QVC have many recipes that I haven't tried yet. Yes, you can bake in it too with the right size pans. One of the brands they offer comes with special pans, mine did not. In any event, if you have the extra $ I think it is worth it.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:46 PM   #7

NuWave Oven

We have a NuWave "air cooking" oven and it does a good job. I really like it to cook Cornish hens, whole chickens, especially from frozen. I would recommend this type of product for ease of use and speed of cooking. I can put the entire meal in the oven, if timed right, and have a nice meal in less than an hour.

Steve
Old 10-05-2016, 02:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Hello we have Thermos Big Easy, this is a infrared propane fired cooker. Uses hot air convection to cook chickens or a turkey. No Grease needed.

https://www.wayfair.ca/TRU-Infrared-...ource=hotdeals

I am pretty sure you are asking about a internal counter top unit though.
The Big Easy.....we'll be using that on our Thanksgiving trip!
Old 10-05-2016, 03:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon View Post
Got to looking at Air Fryers (no idea what started this)

Soooo wondering who has one? What Brand? Do you like it?

Any info appreciated.
We have a T-Fal Actifyer. My wife has many allergies and greatly misses french fries because of the oils that are used.. We bought one so she would not miss out on fries. She uses a very small amount of butter and it works well for both her and me.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:25 PM   #10

Just FYI, yes, I was asking about the counter top appliance that is supposed to use a small (very) amount of oil to fry things like chicken wings, fries, etc.

Actually looking at the T-Fal but wondering what others have and how they like it.

2016 Forester 3011DSF
Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote