Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2017, 01:45 PM   #1
Web Developer

Wisconsin or N Illinois Guys Weekend

I am trying to plan a Guys weekend for 2017 with a couple buddies. We want to drive up to New Glaurius Brewing in Wisconsin at some point to highlight the weekend with a tour. Unfortunately, I am finding that MANY campgrounds post "No Alcohol" on their details. Where as this is normally fine when traveling with my family, we have every intention of some fireside brews will we are up there.

Can anyone suggest a good campground that allows for mostly responsible drinking on site?

rbreier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 02:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbreier View Post
I am trying to plan a Guys weekend for 2017 with a couple buddies. We want to drive up to New Glaurius Brewing in Wisconsin at some point to highlight the weekend with a tour. Unfortunately, I am finding that MANY campgrounds post "No Alcohol" on their details. Where as this is normally fine when traveling with my family, we have every intention of some fireside brews will we are up there.

Can anyone suggest a good campground that allows for mostly responsible drinking on site?

There is just nothing in that area, and from what I've heard, the tour there isn't really a "tour" at all...it's self guiding. I understand the "Spotted Cow" fascination, but there are a ton of other breweries in better locations. My suggestion would be to pick another brewery and then get yourselves a few twelve packs of Cow for by the fire.

There are more campgrounds in this area (If you're looking to stay in that general area of the state)
https://www.google.com/#q=campgrounds+near+potosi%2C+wi

And this is a highly respected brewery in the state with good beer, a good tour and you can visit a brewery museum to boot!
http://www.potosibrewery.com/
http://www.potosibrewery.com/museums/

And honestly, I'm not sure where you're looking and finding these No Alcohol campgrounds in Wisconsin......I've yet to find one

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 02:40 PM   #3
Web Developer

Well, they may be posting it on their sites and not enforcing it, but I am seeing it all over. Your suggestion will be a bit too far west for one of the guys to drive in. But thanks for slamming my plans anyhow.
rbreier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 02:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbreier View Post
Well, they may be posting it on their sites and not enforcing it, but I am seeing it all over. Your suggestion will be a bit too far west for one of the guys to drive in. But thanks for slamming my plans anyhow.
I'm not sure how I slammed your plans....I would honestly hate for you to plan for a weekend in New Glarus expecting something cool and ending up disappointed. I was merely pointing you in a more fun direction with easier access to a place to stay in the same general area you asked about.

Life is good...Live it!
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
Old 02-07-2017, 04:24 PM   #5

There's 2 WI state parks fairly close to New Glarus. Links:
Blue Mound State Park - Wisconsin DNR
Governor Dodge State Park - Wisconsin DNR

There is also New Glarus Woods state park but lists all their sites as primitive:
http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/name/ngwoods/

I didn't see anything about them having alcohol restrictions.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 01:13 PM   #6

Illinois State campgrounds I think are no Alcohol. All WI state parks are fine with drinking..it's Wisconsin afterall. Governor Dodge is kinda over there but that may be booked well in advance. Only place I've been over in that area.
ROO3636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 02:01 PM   #7

New Glarus SP has more than a few sites that will accommodate your rig. We stayed there a few years back in a 30' Jayco. We dry camped but water and sewer dump were on property.

No problems with beer and campfires but there are families and ranger patrol.

New Glarus is a great town for Swiss and German cuisine and beer. The brewery had just opened when I visited and there wasn't the traditional tasting room at that time. I am sure their website would settle the issue.

Bring bikes. Easiest way to get to town and there is also a State bike trail nearby.
plymaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 02:52 PM   #8

Beer City

Let us know if you get up here, we have lots of campgrounds that allow the responsible consumption of adult beverages.

The top 10 winners in the category Best Beer Scene are as follows:

Grand Rapids, Mich.
Fort Collins, Colo.
Tampa
Cleveland
Asheville, N.C.
Philadelphia
Chicago
Portland, Maine
Baltimore
Atlanta
A panel of experts picked the initial 20 nominees, and the top 10 winners were determined by popular vote. Experts Mike Arra (Bon Beer Voyage), Jim Dykstra & Chris Guest (The Beer Connoisseur), Julia Herz (Brewers Association), Gary Monterosso (What’s On Tap), Jack Muldowney (The Hop Review) and Ale Sharpton (AleSharpton.com) were chosen based on their extensive beer knowledge and experience.

Other nominees for Best Beer Scene included Austin; Boston; Burlington, Vt.; Denver; Kansas City, Mo.; New York; Portland, Ore.; San Diego; San Francisco and Seattle.

10Best and USA TODAY extend their congratulations to all the winning cities.
2014 Tacoma Double Cab
My YouTube Channel
Days Camped 2016/2017/2018/2019: 98/106/109/73
MinneweeseMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:28 PM   #9

Dont be upset with JUSTB_RAD. He likes slamming mostly every post. Week ago i replied to a other post and he did the same to me.. i think he enjoys always being right, should have sent him those pencils for christmas without erasers. Just saying. Enjoy your outing its your time and friends, suggestion do in life what ferls goid as long as its safe and harmeless to others
justpassinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:29 PM   #10

Most campgrounds will post this sort of thing. It gives them justification for kicking out the rowdies. If I'm sitting around the campfire with a can coozie covering the label I have yet to be even asked about it. They are really after the party crowds that keep everyone up well past quiet time.
tdiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyr View Post
Dont be upset with JUSTB_RAD. He likes slamming mostly every post. Week ago i replied to a other post and he did the same to me.. i think he enjoys always being right, should have sent him those pencils for christmas without erasers. Just saying. Enjoy your outing its your time and friends, suggestion do in life what ferls goid as long as its safe and harmeless to others
What are you talking about? Go look again at the post and check to see what got "Slammed"......That's borderline hilarious!

Life is good...Live it!
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips