Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2014, 09:25 AM   #1

2011 Coachmen Catalina 28DDS

Hello everyone! I'm new here and am contemplating purchasing a 2011 Coachmen Catalina 28DDS travel trailer. Asking price is $14k and it comes a WD hitch, power jack and numerous other little things like dinnerware, bedding, hoses, other odds and ends, etc... I think it's the nearly the perfect layout for my family and what we're looking for. Anyone here have any experience with this trailer? I think asking price is more than fair based off of what I've found elsewhere. NADA doesn't even list this model until 2012, so I will double check to be sure what year it actually is. Upon my first inspection of the trailer, everything works properly, roof is in good shape and there's no sign of a water leak anywhere. I've agreed with the owner to take it to a nearby campground and do a complete setup running the entire water system and testing everything else once more.

Any suggestions on what else to do and do you all think $14k is a good price? Many thanks and I look forward to joining the forum.
wrigley615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:23 PM   #2

We recently passed on a unit that had no NADA. Be careful. Apparently there are some units that aren't in there for various reasons. If you're paying cash, you can buy it but if you think you may want to trade or re-sell you may have issues. The NADA is my best resource for determining value. Also, when you put in the things it has, keep in mind the "package" you choose for the value already includes the items in the package ~ no need to list them twice. Some dealers use wholesale, others use low retail.

Coachmen had some bumps along the way. We were not impressed with them for the longest time; apparently when they were sold out to forest river, things began to change. We have been looking at the Freedom Express, Liberty Edition, 50th Anniversay Package and are quite impressed with it. Our RV repairman was very complimentary on Coachmen ~ found them easy to work on.

Having said all that, I don't have any specific info on the model you stated. Keep doing your research ~ you won't regret that
Old 07-14-2014, 10:00 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply! I believe 2011 was the first year that Forest River took over Coachmen. The research I've found thus far is not too concerning. I am interested in why NADA wouldn't list a particular model. Anyone have insight on that?
wrigley615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:46 PM   #4

The model we were looking at was at the end of the 2013 season, they were trying out some changes then shifted to the 2024 model. We were told they just didn't make enough to count, essentially. I've also been told that's a bunch of hooey. Who knows??? Anyway, just thought I'd relay my experience. How you finance is none of my business, but if you deal with a bank or credit union, perhaps they could guide you on this subject; also, an insurance agent may be able to assist you on what they're willing to cover. Once you get answers from those two it may give you the info you need, even if you pay outright for it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forest River Forums mobile app

Tags
cat, catalina, coachmen