Old 08-21-2013, 09:27 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHS79 View Post
I guess its a good thing that I don't live in Canada, I always run with a ball mount in and I have had a couple of people tap it while sitting at stop lights/stop signs.

7-8 years ago I was driving our companys F450 dump truck, I stopped at a red light and got rearended. The guy must have been looking at the college girl who was out for a run and waiting to go across the the street, he must not have hit the brakes at all. He hit me hard enough that the pintle hitch went through his bumper, core support and most of the way through the radiator. Luckily the 450 has a 3/4" plate of steel that the tail lights, hitch and trailer lights are all in, the car was literally probably 8-12" shorter than before he hit me, all I had was a cracked tail light and busted the cover off the trailer light plug.
Just get yourself a bumber sticker that reads "If you can't stop, smile as you go under....."

Someone rearended my wife driving our truck and the combination of the higher truck and them hitting the brakes did a nice job of lining up thier hood/grill with the hitch frame. Ball adapter or not that car was toast!

PaulD

Old 08-21-2013, 09:42 AM   #22

This was proposed in MI. not sure if it went thru or not. Its at the bottom.
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/docume...2-HIB-5610.htm

Old 08-21-2013, 09:51 AM   #23
Resident Masshole

Prior to having a TT, I would leave my 2" hitch in my F150 for so long I had to use a sledgehammer to break through the rust to get it out.

For that reason alone, I remove my hitch when not in use.

That said, if it's not obstructing your plate, the only thing you have to worry about are your shins.
Nights camped in 2014: 8
Nights camped in 2013: 30
force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:09 AM   #24

If it's not illegal, it ought to be. I take mine out whenever I'm not towing. At 19+ feet long the truck barely fits in a parking space without the hitch. It's easy enough to remove and a matter of simple courtesy. The shin you save may be your own.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:12 AM   #25

It is interesting how things change state to state and province to province. Easy to break the law if you cross a border and have no idea on the small differences.

I was driving the Equinox when the gentleman approached me. The license plate on it is at least a foot higher than the hitch ball. So no issue there.

I might just stop into the local cop shop and ask them.
Days camped 2012 - 14 (not enough); Days camped 2013 - 41 (May - 3; June-16; July-10; Aug.-12) Still not enough...
Days camped 2014 - 23
QuietTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:15 AM   #26
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post

The Peoples Republic of Illinois thanks you for your money.
Lol not gettin my money!
I live on the west side of the big creek
Old 08-21-2013, 04:58 PM   #27

I know that in Saskatchewan it is legal, and I leave a tri-ball sticking out of mine full time, I'd otherwise have to have that dirty old thing in the cab... and that would be quite a weapon coming at me if I were in an accident. I'd rather have it deter an accident when someone sees it sticking out and decide to not tailgate me.

Because it's a tri-ball, if you don't see it and hit your shin on it, you should have a seeing eye dog before you walk amongst vehicles again
Old 08-21-2013, 06:21 PM   #28
DDC

If its illegal in Ontario they are missing out on a lot of easy money, most malls and big box type store lot are packed with them. I use to use a safari van from 1993 till 2001 and it had it in the whole time.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:29 PM   #29
Roger and Paula

Had a older Caddy with a hitch for a boat trailer. Knucklehead kid rear-ended me. We pulled into the store by the road. Not a scratch on my Caddy. Hitch had driven plumb through the radiator of the rice-burner the lid was driving. I just looked it over, smiled, and wished the kid a nice day as I drove off. Always keep the hitch ball in place.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:21 PM   #30
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by force View Post
Prior to having a TT, I would leave my 2" hitch in my F150 for so long I had to use a sledgehammer to break through the rust to get it out.

For that reason alone, I remove my hitch when not in use.

That said, if it's not obstructing your plate, the only thing you have to worry about are your shins.
I also left my hitch so long that the only I could get it out was to attach a chain to the hitch and the other end to the back of a semi trailer. Left a little slack in the chain and gunned it! Off it came. And no tickets for leaving it on.

2015 129 nites
2016 63 nites
elind is online now   Reply With Quote