Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2019, 04:15 PM   #1

4 season rv?

We are looking at the Salem Villa 42DL. We live in Colorado and are wanting to live in one full time for atleast a few months. however I'm not sure how they do in the cold. We would be skirting it. We would be living in it until our house would be built. I love the open floor plan and the loft. We have a almost 3yr old and I like that she would have her own space. I havent read anything about how they handle the cold. I have read that you can get them with double insultation. We have one dealer in the springs and they do not currently have that model so I'm not even sure they could get us one. My inlaws own a horse campground and we work there full time. We are so tired of renting and throwing money down the drain. That we have decided this would be the best option for us.
If you have any information I would greatly appreciate it!
Thank you!
Coloradocowgirl9195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 04:18 PM   #2

There is no such thing as a 4 season Rv unless you move it to Florida four 4 months a year.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 05:29 PM   #3
Site Team

Ice cabin trailers are the only true 4 season trailers.
After that, companies like Northwoods Manufacturing Inc and Outdoors RV make trailers close to 4 season.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
There is no such thing as a 4 season Rv unless you move it to Florida four 4 months a year.

I never thought of that, I guess that’s what the rv manufactures were thinking about on extended camping season
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:08 PM   #5

for sure. big difference between extended season and a full Colorado winter. not unless you had access to a bathroom and had the unit winterized and could afford to heat it.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:12 PM   #6

Can you buy an RV that truly works for all four seasons off the lot? Doubtful.
But you can buy one and modify it (skirting, sealing, insulation, etc) if you aren't moving all the time. We have friends who full time and work in the backwoods all year who do exactly that.
Lots of Google search type articles on how to do it.
Good luck and I hope it works out for you. Much better than renting!!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:24 PM   #7

Thank you all! I appreciate all your replies, and future replies! We don't plan on moving it but maybe a few times a year to a summer spot, and a winterized spot. I look forward to moving to the ranch it will be less stressful and much more cost efficient! Now to just find a dealer, that should be the fun part!
Old 04-21-2019, 07:31 PM   #8

If you know the model you want, do a national search for the lowest price. That is how we buy all our RVs. We drove 15 hours to pick up our current RV. Saved $10k"+ after all costs! For warranty work we used certified independent, service only shops wherever we happen to be. Very happy with results.
Good luck!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:41 PM   #9

Thank you! We are looking into that for sure!
Old 04-21-2019, 08:02 PM   #10

The 42 DL is very tall and boxy . Anything short of a 450 duelly would have trouble towing it far. It is a destination trailer so covering the front windows while traveling is a must.

They also do not have an enclosed underbelly so under skirting would be needed for very cold weather . But there is insulation between the floor and the frame and most all of the water piping is inside cabinets etc.

The Wildwood Lodge 42DL is the same trailer as the Salem Villa 42DL so that should help in your search. They come both in smooth wall or aluminium wall as well.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:55 PM   #11

A 4 season coach is a step in the right direction. Having an underbelly that is heated is helpful for spring and fall trips. The miners in Nevada typically run into housing shortages. People live through harsh winters in them for years as in below zero for extended periods, similar to Colorado.

Skirting is the first step. You can add some heat in the under space or use heat tape. You need to run the furnace at some minimal level all the time. Heat tape is very useful for water and sewer connnections, so is insulation wrapped around the hoses. This shold get you started.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:30 AM   #12

I can not speak to truth vs misinformation, but as I was buying my pull behind camper I spoke to the Coachmen rep from the dealership about what the manufacturers suggested lower temperature limit would be for an Azdel built Apex Ultra Lite 289TBSS. The reason is that my wifes family has a primitive camp up in northern Pa near Tionesta, setting on the edge of state game lands. The Coachmen rep instructed me that with the sealed and insulated under belly pan and forced air heating into the "basement", that as long as the furnace is used it is suggested to be able to be used at an intermittent -5°F as long as days see 20°F+ to maintain water temps high enough to make the nights.

I was happy with this, since I personally have no want/need/desire to ever go recreationally camping in 10°F weather! I'll stay home and put on a blizzard one piece overall and go cut firewood... you know... the heat is in the tools!

But maybe pick out a floor plan, pull the model numbers from the various lines and start calling or emailing manufacturers and ask what the suggested limit is for low temperature use on the build style?

Caveat Emptor : The Forest River/Coachmen fellow I talked to could well have been blowing smoke around and even into my posterior orifice. But for my pleasure use, I suspect that everything will be A-Okay.
Larry0071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:15 AM   #13

You can describe it any way you want. I used to do consulting work for mining companies. Every mining town in the West has people llving in RVs year around in places like Montana, Wyoming and Colorado. There are ways to make everything work in cold temperatures. 10,000 miners can't be wrong.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 10:01 AM   #14

I guess I have to agree who would want to RV in 10 degree F? My 2018 Cardinal 3825 is fulltime rated but I wouldn't live in it during a cold winter. I go to south FL then.
whj469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:34 AM   #15

To each their own, and many things influence our decisions. One of my friends decided to build their forever home on the lot in the forest, and wanted to do it all themselves. They moved the big TT onto the property and lived in it in the mountains here in Idaho for 18 months.

Had power and septic already in, so wrapped gutter heater tape around water and sewer hoses, then boxed them in with styrofoam. Skirted the perimeter and added straw bales around it for lower seal. Gas company delivered a 150 gal propane tank and they were set.
Blank is offline   Reply With Quote