Old 11-24-2018, 02:29 PM   #1

4G LTE providers

I saw some time ago a discussion regarding a 4G LTE service provider selling SIM cards and service without throttling
Any suggestions

Phoenixscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 11:08 PM   #2
Fulltime family RVer

Verizon has a pre-paid unlimited Jetpack plan for $70 (with a $5/month automatic payment plan discount) that doesn’t throttle you.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:39 AM   #3

Verizon here on the East Coast has better connectivity than AT&T in campgrounds I have found.
Delnari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:57 AM   #4

I purchased the Ellipsis Jetpack through Verizon at the start of the month. It is very handy, but does not always perform as well as I would like. Sometimes it is unable to stream video or even slow to load pages.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by -lenny- View Post
I purchased the Ellipsis Jetpack through Verizon at the start of the month. It is very handy, but does not always perform as well as I would like. Sometimes it is unable to stream video or even slow to load pages.

Are you using any type of booster like a WiFi Ranger to improve your signal strength? If you can get a signal in then a multi-channel booster can improve the connection which keeps the signal more steady, but not a guarantee to improve connection speed.

Really hoping 5G in future fixes this for us all.
Delnari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 10:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delnari View Post
Are you using any type of booster like a WiFi Ranger to improve your signal strength? If you can get a signal in then a multi-channel booster can improve the connection which keeps the signal more steady, but not a guarantee to improve connection speed.

Really hoping 5G in future fixes this for us all.
It seemed to run slower when we had it set up with the Ranger? Have just been using it stand alone for the last couple weeks. Connectivity is not a problem, but speed is.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:43 AM   #7
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by -lenny- View Post
It seemed to run slower when we had it set up with the Ranger? Have just been using it stand alone for the last couple weeks. Connectivity is not a problem, but speed is.
It will run slower if you connect the wifiranger to the hotspotís WiFi network. Tethered shouldnít make a difference.

My biggest issue with Jetpacks/hotspots are the strength of their WiFi network. While you can see it from 30-40í away and through walls, I find that if the hotspot isnít in the same room as the device using it, then performance suffers. That was the biggest reason I liked the WifiRanger- itís WiFi network was stronger and faster.

I found that performance could often be improved with a $30 Netgear MIMO antenna. When that didnít work, Iíd turn on my weBoost cellular booster.

Sometimes Iíd get good strong internet, other times, I suffered with slow cellular internet.

I carry both Verizon and AT&T because I *require* good internet for my 9-5 job. Sometimes AT&T is faster, other times Verizon is faster.

The other thing that comes into play is how busy an area is. Florida, in the winter, can be notoriously bad. You might have 3-4 bars of LTE, but still crap slow speeds. The cell towers are just painfully overloaded.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:38 AM   #8
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Don't leave your Jetpack plugged in a lot.

It will burn out the battery.

Don't ask me how I just found out the hard way...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 04:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Verizon has a pre-paid unlimited Jetpack plan for $70 (with a $5/month automatic payment plan discount) that doesnít throttle you.

But they ďmayĒ deprioritize you traffic during periods of high congestion.
ImTravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 04:22 PM   #10

I have a Jetpack that Verizon talked me into buying, 15gigs of hotspot data. I wish I didnít have it but I signed a two year contract. Itís twenty bucks a month. At the end of the month I usually just stream video on it. I have no internet at home or on the road.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 04:23 PM   #11
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTravis View Post
But they ďmayĒ deprioritize you traffic during periods of high congestion.
Agreed. But, itís better than a hard throttle at 15gb which is what most of their other plans are.

And, Iíve been in high cellular congestion areas (Disney World all year round and most of Florida in the winter)- service sucked no matter what. The cell towers were just overloaded.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:39 PM   #12

I think the phone carriers will eventually have unlimited hotspot data again. The data seems to go up a little more. My Jetpack has only 15gigs of hotspot data but on my phone I can now get 20gigs of hotspot data plus 75gigs of cellular data which just about makes the Jetpack useless.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:55 PM   #13
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I think the phone carriers will eventually have unlimited hotspot data again. The data seems to go up a little more. My Jetpack has only 15gigs of hotspot data but on my phone I can now get 20gigs of hotspot data plus 75gigs of cellular data which just about makes the Jetpack useless.
Verizon has a pre-paid option for an unlimited data hotspot for $70/month (with $5/month auto-pay discount). It does *not* throttle after 15gb.
Old 12-01-2018, 07:20 AM   #14
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

My Verizon Mifi plan is my only internet...

If you learn how to work with the limitations it isn't really that bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Same plan I have...

If you use a computer...then the Jetpack is the ONLY way to go!

If all you are using are tablets and phones...then maybe a Jetpack is a waste.

The 20GB's of hotspot is not what it sounds like, but is a combination of the 15GB's of Jetpack and the 5GB's on your phone's hotspot, then a throttle down to 3G speed of unlimited data after that...

Again, good for phones and tablets...BAD for computer users like me.

Computers will zoom on the Jetpack and crawl at a snail's pace on the hotspot from a phone before the throttle down.

Quote:
Verizon has a pre-paid option for an unlimited data hotspot for $70/month (with $5/month auto-pay discount). It does *not* throttle after 15gb.
As for the $70/month prepaid plan...

It is just a matter of time before they *WILL ALWAYS* throttle down those speeds.

Plus, with that plan, it is Jetpack only...you loose your phone's hotspot capabilities.

I checked into it last week when I lost a day of my life on hold with Verizon trying to get my Mifi Jetpack replaced under warranty...

It really is NOT a good plan unless all you do is stream movies and music on phones, tablets or TV's...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 10:50 AM   #15

Unfortunatley all providers are at a may deprioritize for data, either after a specific amount of data or any time depending on the plan. You may be able to get on an enterprise plan from a data reseller, it those are expensive and sketchy. I have an older unlimited plan from AT&T plan that may deprioritize any device that goes over 22G during congestion. My solution is that I have 2 hotspots (was $20/month extra each on plan), so I use one until I notice slowdown then switch over. The third one is at my mother in laws house as her she doesnít have any other internet option.

Iíve been researching unlimited data plans for the past few months. The Verizon deal seems good if youíre not in a congested area. If we could get Verizon here, Iíd probably get it too.
ImTravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 06:37 PM   #16

Quote:

Thanks Iíll check that out. I wish my phone bill was lower. Letís see, Iím already paying twenty bucks a month for the Jetpack so I would only be paying forty five bucks. I have a cell phone that I donít really need, that would save twenty bucks. Actually on my bill from Verizon that phone shows up as sixty bucks but I would only save twenty bucks because I would only have two phones. Verizon has some weird features