Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2018, 09:22 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decon Blue View Post
Easy Peasy, find the unit you want, come to a agreeable price, pay NO Dealer fees, pay cash. Done deal. No interest , No payments , No future regrets.

You have "easy peasy" and "pay cash" for an rv in the same sentence. That shows just how out of touch you are with the vast majority of people. Sure, save up and pay cash. For many people that could take 10 years or more. For young families with kids- the ones that desperately need to be out there spending time together- this makes zero sense. There are ways to be smart about financing- especially with interest rates as low as they are now. This attitude and air of superiority toward others that finance gets really old.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:38 AM   #22

In the Video I saw and heard the finance term of 144 months. I can't imagine anyone signing for 12 years on a 16,000 dollar trailer. Depreciation would have the value of the TT much less than the financing in no time...in fact as soon as it was purchased now that I think of it. If the declared facts about camping world are true, I can't imagine them getting away with it.
Hoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:53 AM   #23
Site Team

After watching the entire video I found it to be very informative. And it confirms the sales practices we encountered at our local CW. They didn't get our business...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
In the Video I saw and heard the finance term of 144 months. I can't imagine anyone signing for 12 years on a 16,000 dollar trailer. Depreciation would have the value of the TT much less than the financing in no time...in fact as soon as it was purchased now that I think of it.
RV loans can go up to 20 years, 240 months, based on the RV, the amount financed and your credit score.

The interesting thing about RV loans is the less you finance the higher interest rate you'll pay for the same term.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:04 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
RV loans can go up to 20 years, 240 months, based on the RV, the amount financed and your credit score.

The interesting thing about RV loans is the less you finance the higher interest rate you'll pay for the same term.
When I have a big purchase in mind I do my research in advance. What's standard equip, what's optional, but more importantly WHAT DO I NEED.

I then look for a vehicle/RV that fits MY needs and negotiate a price.

When it comes to financing I am fortunate enough to have close to the max for a credit score so I get the pick of financing companies. The Dealer I bought from tried to place my "Contract" with their favorite "Bank" but at a much higher interest rate. Told them the rate I expected and the sale hinged on them coming through with not only rate, but length of contract too (I wanted shorter term than they were pushing).

End result is that I got what I wanted and they didn't lose the sale. A mistake made by many is that they fall so much in love with what they're shopping for they aren't ready to walk away from a bad deal.

I learned over the years that when it's my money involved the seller has to come to me (to a point) rather than the other way around. The door I walked in is also an exit and I'm not afraid to use it. There's a Dealer out there that's willing to work with me and if not the one where I am, then "down the road".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:37 AM   #25

Unbelievable that CW gets away with these practices. Might be worth it and necessary, to get an attorney involved when purchasing from them!
This reminds me as to one of the reasons I did not purchase from RVW. They required that you finance thru them to get the great reduced (and competitive) price. When I asked for financing details, they would not reveal interest rates, fee's, or anything specific. Felt kind of shady. Plus, the prices changed significantly every time I logged into their site. So, I purchased elsewhere where OTD pricing was clear.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:08 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportbikenut View Post
Unbelievable that CW gets away with these practices. Might be worth it and necessary, to get an attorney involved when purchasing from them!
This reminds me as to one of the reasons I did not purchase from RVW. They required that you finance thru them to get the great reduced (and competitive) price. When I asked for financing details, they would not reveal interest rates, fee's, or anything specific. Felt kind of shady. Plus, the prices changed significantly every time I logged into their site. So, I purchased elsewhere where OTD pricing was clear.
All dealers make money if you finance through them. Only difference is that RVW gives you a chunk of that back. Sounds like a win to me. And did you apply for financing? I've financed 4 campers with them and they told me all of the details before I signed. Surely you didn't expect them to be able to tell you what your rate would be with no information from you? And rates change based on amount and length of term, so there's no way they could be specific unless you knew which camper you were looking at either.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:18 PM   #27

This is my shocked face.........

I not surprised at all by this video. Sometimes you get the bear and sometimes he gets you. I go into every negotiation for a big ticket item assuming that they are trying to rip me off and I am also trying to get the very best deal I can.

It's a dance. Sometimes it's a dance in the mosh pit and sometimes I leave my partner in the middle of the dance but it is still a dance.

Marty
Old 01-11-2018, 12:34 PM   #28

Go to your bank or Credit Union and get approved for a loan.

THEN go to your RV dealer and make a deal.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:14 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Go to your bank or Credit Union and get approved for a loan.

THEN go to your RV dealer and make a deal.
Always best to get quotes for financing from several sources. Only way to know if the"deal" the Dealer offers is a good deal or if you're getting the shaft.

FWIW, any "Deal" that is contingent on you getting financing through the Dealer is one to scrutinize real well or just walk away.

For those who like to read, Arthur Hailey gave away an old trick used by Car Dealers in his 1971 novel "Wheels". Go in and make your deal on a car, giving the Dealer the idea that they will be financing it. Even go through the credit application process as well and continue to negotiate on price.

When it comes time to go to the "Signing", just write a check for the vehicle and reject the financing. I used to buy cars by getting pre-approved by my company credit union with a cap on how much they would fund my checking account with. When I wrote the check for the vehicle that's the amount of my "loan" they put in my account.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:27 PM   #30
Canadian Member

If I were from Chicago I'd be offended by that video. A lot of slights against Chicago! LOL

Still, the tactics he talks about are quite common in the industry. There's a local, independent dealer up here that tries to sell you a very long term loan just to keep the payments down. I have no problem with getting a loan to buy a big ticket toy. But its not a home so don't buy a mortgage!

The lower price for financing customers tactic is something I think I've heard mentioned here about RV Wholesalers, too. (I don't know if I'm correct of this because I've never bought from RVW.) And they have a fairly good reputation on this forum. If it's not legal, why are they doing it? Is it legal in Ohio? It's an obvious shady tactic.

Folks around here have been rightly advising for a long time to compare the bottom line price, all in, out the door, including financing costs. For those who are willing to travel to make their purchase, you have to figure in your travel and accommodation costs, too.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:33 PM   #31

I don't understand the surprise, money is not free. Figure out what you have actually paid for your house. I know your house would usually appreciate but don't you remember seeing how little of your first years mortgage payments actually went to the principle or how much your bank wanted to renegotiate your deal. Unfortunately we live in times of pay-day-loans and plastic, we seem to be losing our understanding of money. Anyway, take care, all the best.
Go UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 02:31 PM   #32

Exposed

Thanks for posting.
up2speed4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:04 PM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
I have no problem with getting a loan to buy a big ticket toy. But its not a home so don't buy a mortgage!
You sure about that?

I've certainly seen more than a few RVs that cost about as much as my house. I've seen a few trucks that come close too.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:09 PM   #34

Interesting, but I've seen the same stuff from car dealers. Bottom line--get outside financing, research your options on the extended service plan (my plan was worthwhile, because of a long list of covered repairs over the years of ownership), and be prepared to walk away if there is too much sales pressure. As always, its a matter of buyer beware when making any large purchase.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:15 PM   #35
Senior Senior Member

We have a Camping World dealer here in KC but they would not order us the unit we wanted. So we ended up traveling to this dealer in Iowa. He had the exact unit we wanted except we wanted a porcelain stool so he put one in... no additional. His salesman actually explained to us why an extended warranty was maybe not such a good deal.
And BTW... we got a terrific Ebay price on our rig. $38K list, paid $24K cash. Well worth the trip. Absolutely no pressure for extras such as fabric treatments, miracle exterior treatments or extended service contracts.
Cheyenne Camping Center is a different type of dealer.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:56 PM   #36

I'm not going to get into the whole "this is just an advertisement" argument, but, I will speak about Cheyenne Camping Center. My wife and I purchased our latest camper from them through their ebay add. We live in Delaware so it was about 1,000 miles there and the same back (except I missed an exit and went into Michigan). When we got there, the unit was ready and inside for our walk through, the salesman was very attentive, the tech the did the walk through was great and as we paid cash, I cannot speak about their finance dept. I can tell you that they did not try to up sell us anything and the camper was exactly as it was on ebay. We looked local, around 100 miles each direction and no one could or would come close, the price was that good. We were and are very pleased with them. We had a couple of warranty items and as I used to work on these things in my past, I asked them to send me parts and they did, no problem. If I live long enough to want another camper, they are who I will buy from.
Having lots of Fun traveling with my wife
old40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:45 PM   #37

When we purchased our Flagstaff 27RLWS from Cheyenne Camping Center, it was delivered to us in Montana, at the agreed price and we have had the opportunity to visit them a year later, and were welcomed. The trailer has been well used and has had very little to fix. I would definitely use them as a dealer again.
beechjet16mf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 05:00 PM   #38
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostriver View Post
Well that didn’t take long... Video already removed. Thx for trying
I watched it, just now.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:07 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
I have no problem with getting a loan to buy a big ticket toy. But its not a home so don't buy a mortgage!
About a year ago I said something similar about a guy who financed a motor home for 15 years. I pointed out that the guy will be underwater for about 12 of those years. BOY, did I get lambasted for that. So stand by; they'll let you have it, too!

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:31 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
You have "easy peasy" and "pay cash" for an rv in the same sentence. That shows just how out of touch you are with the vast majority of people. Sure, save up and pay cash. For many people that could take 10 years or more. For young families with kids- the ones that desperately need to be out there spending time together- this makes zero sense. There are ways to be smart about financing- especially with interest rates as low as they are now. This attitude and air of superiority toward others that finance gets really old.
No SUPERIORITY intended, just common sense. I refuse to use my hard earned $$ to support someone else. Cash gets better price, no interest, no paying for a unit that’s loosing value every year. When I was young my family tent camped and the tent was not financed !!
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer