Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2017, 11:22 AM   #1

A Typical Rhode Island DMV Story

Unfortunately we live in RI for now. Thank God it will only be a little bit longer! So here's what happened and sort of a warning to those who might be considering a move to RI.

First, we pay every single year thousands of dollars in property tax for the RV. So I noticed we never got our registration in the mail but had the check they cashed (for over 300 bucks). Their mistake is now costing me more money because they want me to pay for a duplicate registration they never sent to me in the first place. Keep reading this gets even better.

So I had to fill out a long form describing everything about the RV even though it was already registered and they already had allll this info already. All I'm looking for is a duplicate registration folks, that's it.

I also decided to renew the registration on my wife's car at the same time to avoid our DMV from screwing that up too. Now here's an important distinction to keep in mind, she is the only owner listed on the title of her car and on the registration so my name is listed nowhere on the car. But on the RV we are both on the title as co-owners and only her name is on the registration because the registration is usually listing only one person.

Now common sense prevailing would dictate that as an owner of the RV I would have no problem getting what I needed ESPECIALLY since it is simply a duplicate registration. The car might be a bit tougher registration to get because I'm listed nowhere on any of that car's paperwork and it is a renewal not a duplicate.

So you all can guess that they gave me the registration for a car I do not own but denied me a simple duplicate of an RV I actually own. Classic RI story except it just misses a few usual aspects like dirty politicians and graft.
Chrisc40 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2017, 11:40 AM   #2

Why did they deny the duplicate registration on the RV ?

I know here at the NC DMV both my wife and I both had to be present when tried to register our TT from CA to NC when we moved here even though on the CA registration we were both listed on it...I thought I could just go myself to register it in both of our names...I was wrong and she needed to join me
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2017, 12:05 PM   #3

Even when you do pay the registration fees on a camper/RV they don't send it to you anyway!
Paid our renewal in August (due in Sept), had to call a few weeks back and ask where it was as they had cashed my check, they actually responded and said we have no idea why you have not received it!
Don't even get me started on the ridiculous amount of taxes you have to pay in this little state to own a RV! (and vehicles!)

2019 Ford F-250 Super Cab 6.2L Lariat
2016 ML23FB (Sold March 2024)
2024 ML25SRK
MT Biker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2017, 12:31 PM   #4
DDC

"
"Now common sense prevailing would dictate that as an owner of the RV I would have no problem getting what I needed ESPECIALLY since it is simply a duplicate registration. The car might be a bit tougher registration to get because I'm listed nowhere on any of that car's paperwork and it is a renewal not a duplicate."

Where did you ever expect that to come from?
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2017, 12:34 PM   #5

They denied it only because she was listed on the registration and I wasn't. Registrations have only one name usually being the primary vehicle operator. Essentially, they ignore that I'm on the title as co-owner, that I'm her husband living at the same address, that the RV is already registered and I'm only looking for a duplicate because they never sent one out to us. RI is so messed up compared to other states. The DMV for example, change to a windows based system about 5 years ago or so. Incredibly, the personnel had to be trained to operate the system taking a few more years to train them. They just recently updated again and when it went live it coincided with the time of our renewal so they must have messed it up. They're in the dark ages here. Going live on a major computer system without mirroring the system they already had and the federal gov't warned them against doing...but they did anyway resulting in mass chaos that's been going on for nearly a whole year.

There are so many things messed up here. If you googled RI news stories you'd likely come up with stuff you could hardly believe. Like dirt biker gangs of 100+ that take over the streets threatening motorists and pedestrians as they rampage through the streets. Police are not allowed by the mayor to chase and stop them. Or another good one was RI being the only state ever to have the head of the state assembly office in the capitol building raided by the FBI. Or maybe the next head of the assembly who won re-election by sending his people out with ballots to the voters and standing over them as they filled out their ballots. I'm just touching the surface but this state makes Payton Place look like a buttoned down Mormon town.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Biker View Post
Even when you do pay the registration fees on a camper/RV they don't send it to you anyway!
Paid our renewal in August (due in Sept), had to call a few weeks back and ask where it was as they had cashed my check, they actually responded and said we have no idea why you have not received it!
Don't even get me started on the ridiculous amount of taxes you have to pay in this little state to own a RV! (and vehicles!)
That's exactly what happened and at the same time as you too. We sent in the renewal and the check. The check was cashed by DMV and they never sent the registration.

I think they messed up because of the system upgrade they did about the same time. Well, hopefully this computer problem won't be like UHIP and cost 100 million bucks...
Old 11-02-2017, 12:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
"
"Now common sense prevailing would dictate that as an owner of the RV I would have no problem getting what I needed ESPECIALLY since it is simply a duplicate registration. The car might be a bit tougher registration to get because I'm listed nowhere on any of that car's paperwork and it is a renewal not a duplicate."

Where did you ever expect that to come from?
I know! I know!😁 They don't even have the common sense in some agencies here to stop punching times cards and use computer technology instead.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:52 PM   #8

If were going to start to exchange DMV stories, I am going to get a vat of popcorn.

I thought CT DMV was bad.....evidently every state has their issues.
kamper00 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2017, 01:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamper00 View Post
If were going to start to exchange DMV stories, I am going to get a vat of popcorn.

I thought CT DMV was bad.....evidently every state has their issues.
I lived in CT before and they are also tough but think CT and add in a lot more lack of common sense plus money. Every time you do anything here its like a free for all on taxing or charging fees. Remember that TV commercial for car insurance where they had "rate suckers" that attached to the windshield? That's what it feels like if you own anything or do anything, just like suckers come from iut of nowhere and attach themselves to you.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:16 PM   #10

Hah! Speaking of squeezing as much money as they can out of us, the DMV wants to start charging us $250 bucks for being late on getting inspection stickers. Never ends here in Rhode Island. I guess with the 11 billion dollar budget for a state that is less than 200 square miles in size they have to get creative on how to put their grubby hands in the taxpayer's pocket.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:08 PM   #11

But...If you get a speeding ticket and go in person to the court and request a court date, the system loses everything and the ticket goes away.....Evidently a glitch in the computer system......at least this what I've heard.... ;-)
RB19RR is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2017, 04:35 PM   #12

You should live in Taxachusetts. We have RMV cuz we're special, NOT.
3 months now and we're still trying to get our registration fixed
ACJC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2017, 04:51 PM   #13

In RI we have 11 billion in taxes and that doesn't include local town and city taxes. Just doing the math we have 1 milloon people so we pay 11 thousand dollars for every man, woman and child. Taxachusetts can't be that bad...
Old 11-03-2017, 09:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc40 View Post
In RI we have 11 billion in taxes and that doesn't include local town and city taxes. Just doing the math we have 1 milloon people so we pay 11 thousand dollars for every man, woman and child. Taxachusetts can't be that bad...
NC DMV contracts out services. The only thing they cannot do is some 1st time plates like handicap or veteran and etc. Go in, write your check and get your registration. Much better service than state employees usually provide.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2017, 10:03 PM   #15

Real estate taxes ~~ I was a real estate broker in both Carolinas for a long time. Many moving here from northern states were in awe of our taxes. NY, NJ transplants were especially vocal. One told me his mortgage here was about the same as the one he left. However, the entire monthly payment is less than the property tax portion of his previous mortgage. I have been asked why taxes are so low. Only things discussed are we have no snow removal costs in this area and our politicians have not learned how to waste and other methods of abusing tax dollars like their northern counterparts.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2017, 07:46 AM   #16
"Curmudgeon"

Send a message via MSN to Trawlerphil Send a message via Yahoo to Trawlerphil
I lived there for 20 years. All I can say is "will the last person out please turn off the lights!"
Trawlerphil is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2017, 08:00 AM   #17

These stories sound like many experience i've had in my home state of Iowa many years ago. "Many years ago" are the key words here. Some how, some way, over the past 10 years or so the Iowa DOV has become so user friendly and helpful that I still can't believe it. What a difference not having that upset feeling in the pit of your stomach as you enter their facility. I feel for you, believe me as I've been there, done that. I invite you to move to Iowa where the corn is tall and the DOV is your helpful friend!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2017, 08:28 AM   #18
Site Team

Vehicle registrations are handled by the county clerk's office in KY.
I'm happy to report the county clerk where I live is awesome.
They have online live cameras so I can see the wait time at the clerks office of my choice. They are always friendly and polite and usually have some sort of satisfaction survey going on.

I hate writing the check - actually they take plastic and I get points - but they make it as painless as can be.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2017, 08:58 AM   #19
Site Team

I understand how much we love to vent about things like this but--

This is fair warning - vent threads very often get off track and turn political.

As you all know by now that's off limits.

Please post responsibly.

There are TONS of other web sites and blogs where you can talk politics as much as you want.
This isn't one of them.

Happy Camping!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply