Old 07-10-2014, 06:35 AM   #11

I had AAA for years and never needed it. Then hit a deer near Casper WY towing a small trailer and the nightmare began. I finally got to a hotel at 12:15 am, the car was still drivable but needed headlight work before we could continue driving to NY. We checked out at 7:30 and went to get the work done and rent a small uhaul trailer to salvage what we could, the trailer held all my sons possessions and it rolled several times.
After we

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 07-10-2014, 06:40 AM   #12

Sorry, Fat fingers. The tow truck was supposed to leave the trailer there, AAA did not cover or allow him to take it. Fortunately he put it on his flatbed and the car was drivable.
When we got home we found out AAA would not cover the hotel,or meals because we did not stay overnight!!!!! The said we needed to check in before 12:00 and stay at least 8 hours! Also they denied the tow truck call because the driver fixed the car, pulled the fender off the tire, but did not tow us.
The right went on for weeks and the biggest problem is AAA is not one nationwide thing. MIT is lots of little things. I belonged to AAA of western NY but AAA of Wyoming had different rules and the club I paid money to was no help at all.

Good SAMs is one good place and never gave me any problems.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:40 AM   #13

We also have Progressive for Ins and towing.
ParrishCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:00 PM   #14

Have AAA in No Calif, but they don't offer RV towing as they did in So Calif. Added Good Sam and have never been disappointed in their service or service network. Have used Good Sam several times going back and forth across country.

2014 Cardinal 3450RL
2011 Ford F350 SD DRW
F.R.O.G. Members
jackdn0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:06 PM   #15

Just curious, but if Good Sam does everything that AAA does and more, why would you want to have both?

The only thing that AAA had that I miss is the discount on hotel rooms but now I do not expect to need many of those in the future.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:07 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine3038 View Post
Interesting - would be interested to hear why good sams is better

just picked up aaa but will ad good sams if it makes sense
This is why . I lost my EGR cooler in Morro bay Ca luckily I was two blocks from my camp site and limped it in. I called AAA they gave my a number to a local AAA approved towing service , so I called the local shop the guy tells me he can not tow my 5th wheel and that he has called AAA about 5 times telling them that he can not tow 5ers or any motor homes. I called AAA back and talk with the same guy and his supervisor : I was told that's all they could come up with and I should look for alternative solutions for towing and ask for reimbursement later. I talked with the park owner and he stored my 5er for 3 bucks a day and called a friend at ultimate truck who has a goose neck shop trailer to come get my truck and haul it to his shop. 150 miles away !!!. This is even better I got a call two days later telling me they found someone to tow me but I would have some out of pocket money. Six months later I go to Beach with my friends and his Dodge decides to give it's trans up with his 40 foot toy hauler on the ramp leaving the beach !! He calls Good sams and they have a Tow truck come out with in a hour and tow his trailer and truck 125 miles back home no ? asked . Bottom line (Good sam deals with RV every day)
Old 07-10-2014, 08:48 PM   #17

I had the AAA plus package the best I could buy for the TV and Added the TT. Had a flat in lumberton NC they sent a guy in a car, then he asked me if I had a jack. I called a wrecking company to come out and they made the repair. After that I cancelled and went with GS. No problems with them so far they will tow my TV and TT up to 100 miles.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 06:49 AM   #18

I have AAA premier RV/motorcycle coverage which states one 200 mile tow per year on TV, and 4 100 mile tow on TV and TT. Haven't used it yet (knock on wood)
Old 12-29-2014, 05:00 PM   #19
Site Team

I've had AAA RV plus for last 3 years but probably gonna change when it
runs out this Feb.
Reason-- In mid November on a sunny clear dry Sunday morning I went
to pick up my father in law at a nursing home. His wheel chair van had a
flat tire and I was dressed in "church" clothes. I called AAA number on the front of my card and heard -- All operators are busy, please hold on and your
call will be answered in the order it was received". I held on for 10 minutes!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? If they won't answer the phone on a pretty, sunny Sunday morning how am I gonna get help on say a week day during rush hour in bad weather for my rig??
Now after some checking I find out that AAA has a "premium" plan where
you get faster phone service! For real- you have to pay extra to get them to answer the phone when you call..... Guess I'm done with AAA.

Looking at Good Sam or
AARP Premier + RV or
Coach Net
My only concern is all these will only tow me to nearest shop not
necessarily a Chevy/GM garage but just a garage of any sort.... AAA
will to up to 100 miles to garage of my choice IF I CAN GET THEM ON
THE PHONE.....
thoughts??
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 07:35 AM   #20

I would get Good Sam's, They will tow you your TT or car anywhere you want to go with the Premium Plan to a CG or any other place you want to go within 100 miles. They will also bring you a tire if you need it what ever brand you tell them but that is extra. It covers your car at home to. I think I pay 179.00 per year. They have a lot of dealers to do this all over. If you even lock yourself out at your CG they will come there. If they can't repair your TT they will put it on a flat bed and take it to a dealer. They have the people that have big enough trucks to tow MH, 5ers and TT. Depending on your problem. If your TV breaks down they will tow your TT to a CG and your TV to any repair shop you choose. Or they will recommend one to you. I have had them all, and stuck with GS now. I would have to reread it but I think they even pay for trip interruption, I also had the same problem with AAA Plus, and waited for ever for them to find a Net Coach, when The trailer was new, but found out later to can buy a better plan then the basic plan you get the first year.

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover