Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2014, 08:58 AM   #21

After (37+ years) with AAA and RV Plus they (Refused to change a separated Tire on our RV)! We were at a C/G in Fla.The Service they (AAA) sent said they were (Emergency Road Service) we were in a C/G and didn't qualify? I went with Good Sam (Best one?) because they said they would also cover my M/C and Snowmobiles also with the (Premo Package)! That was a (LIE Also)!! Called for a battery jump at Motel (-15) and Good Sam said (Snowmobiles Not covered)! Depends what day and what Lie it is!! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 09:11 AM   #22

I used AAA extensively over the last 30 years (was great for our son while in college) and they never failed me. BUT, all my calls for assistance were within the state of NC. If I am not mistaken, AAA works differently state by state (example: AAA of the Carolinas). So, coverage may vary depending on where you are...if I am understanding and remembering correctly. So, if you are doing a cross country RV trip with AAA, you may be left out on some lonely road with no help from AAA.

Early last year I did some research comparing AAA with Good Sam. With my own research and also discussions on FRF, I felt Good Sam was a better choice. I'm a simple person and have to keep things simple. For me, simply put AAA is designed autos with options for RVs while Good Sam is designed for RVing with options for autos.
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 09:38 AM   #23

I have Good Sam's Roadside & was happy with the service I received on two separate occasions this year...

The first time was after I swapped-out my China bombs w/Maxxis tires & forgot to check my lug nuts at 10 miles... From our campsite I called GS Roadside, a local trailer mechanic arrived in about an hour, fetched new lug bolts, nuts, & had my spare mounted about an hour later. He even let me buy some extra lug bolts & nuts at-cost. GS paid his flat tow/inspection service & he only charged me $40 for labor plus the actual cost of lug bolts & nuts from the auto store. Once home I ordered a new aluminum rim online for $65 vs. the $150 my local RV dealer wanted...

A few months later I called GS Roadside again when my 5.7 Hemi blew. (I later learned that the tow would have been covered under my Ram Powertrain warranty...) When I explained that the engine locked, GS Roadside sent a big flatbed vs. a tow truck from one of the more reputable tow services in our area.

Both times GS Roadside answered the phone immediately & asked if I was in a safe location & informed me that it would take about an hour for someone to arrive. Both times, someone arrived within an hour. GS Roadside called just after the hour to confirm that I was being helped & gave me info as to how I could rate the service I was provided, etc.

The tow services they utilize appear to have the equipment needed to handle larger trucks and/or tow trailers safely if needed. Both times the vehicles that arrived had tow hitches that could have moved my TT to safety, etc., so I am not complaining. I have not had AAA or any other tow service for over 20 years but I plan to keep GS Roadside so that I can focus on keeping my family safe & let them do the roadside work vs. DIY...
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 10:47 AM   #24
Site Team

Anybody got any coupons for Good Sam???
That premium coverage is $50 more than AAA and that's just the 1st
year. It's more after that!
Can't find on their website anywhere it says what it costs after the "gotcha" 1st year.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 12:34 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
Anybody got any coupons for Good Sam???
That premium coverage is $50 more than AAA and that's just the 1st
year. It's more after that!
Can't find on their website anywhere it says what it costs after the "gotcha" 1st year.
I'll see what I have, but I just renewed 3 weeks ago and for the premium package that I got, It was the exact same price, I thought they would increase after they get you but I was wrong. I also made the comment to them and they said no you will pay the same. Google good sam's, I think they have 3 plans at different prices but really not that much more for the whole banana, I don't worry about it any more....So far anyway...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 12:58 PM   #26

Think my GS Roadside Platinum renewed at $140+/-. AAA would have been about the same, but after the research I mentioned earlier, I felt GS was the best option for us and our FW.
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
Old 12-30-2014, 06:01 PM   #27
Site Team

Good Sam RV platinum is $169.95 lets just say $170 and that's supposed
to be a $35 savings for new members.... Donno how you got it for $140??
Roadside Assistance Plans for RVs and Autos - Good Sam
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
Old 12-30-2014, 07:30 PM   #28

Quote:
Really can't remember how I got to the $140 Dan. But, the link in your post says that the $169.95 is for "Platinum +". My $140 is for Platinum.
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
Old 12-30-2014, 09:06 PM   #29
Traveling along

AAA don't know RV's

Had AAA RV coverage on a 10 year old trailer. Had a side-swipe accident that really only messed up at the awing connections and a small hole where a electric plug was pulled out. Everything fixable but AAA said since they "really" cover autos and don't know anything about trailers, they will go with what the service center said. Took forever as AAA didn't believe the estimate "but yet didn't know RV's" Ended up totaling out the trailer and took the trailer.

With our new trailer went with Progressive. At least they "know" RV's.
2019 Silverado 2500
2019 Primetime Crusader 29rsle
Bill and Margo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 12:55 AM   #30

Quote:
(note- attached pdf removed for security reasons)

Old 12-31-2014, 01:56 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

I have lost faith in AAA over the years. They keep getting more and more expensive and covering less and less. Years ago, before I was in to camping I had a horse. I was heading to a horse show when my Durango broke down on 295 in NJ. Limped into a McDonald's parking lot and called AAA. It was summertime and hot out. They said it would be two hours to get a tow for the Durango. The horse trailer was not covered and was considered a commercial tow. There I was stuck broken down in the heat with a horse in the trailer and no help. Ended up getting a friend from MD to come get the horse trailer and then limped the Durango to a dealership 10 min away.

Fast forward a few years and I now had my armada that seemed to have magnets in the rims. It got frequent nails in the tires and had a problem with the alternator requiring it to get a jump. I found out AAA limited me to 5 service calls in a year. All that money for very little service. Switched to good Sam's ERS for car and tt after that. I currently have progressive insurance (farmed out from usaa) and the free one year from coachnet. Deciding whether to stay with coach net after that year or go back to good Sam's. I dont see a lot of coachnet info here.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 07:39 AM   #32
Site Team

Thanks Glenn- (I removed your pdf as it contained your fulll address....)
Nice to know the price doesn't seem to go up after the 1st year.
Still wonder about that "New members get up to $35 off the 1st year" thing. Guess I'll give them a call one day soon.

Might just go with the GS Platinum and not the GS Platinum+
The only real difference seems to be the + lets you choose the garage and
I would choose Chevy/GM where the cheaper GS like all the others (except my AAA) they choose the nearest "qualified" garage.

AAA won't work for me if they don't answer the phone when I need them!
Wife doesn't care for the AAA trip tics but she reads those state by state
Tour Books while we're on the road. We will miss those. We actually like
the google maps self printed trip tics better.

Drifting slightly off topic here -- Are there any decent books you can get-
electronic or printed- that would be good substitutes for the AAA tour books?
Old 12-31-2014, 08:30 AM   #33

We have had and used CAA RV Plus(AAA affiliate in Canada)for several years. Have had the truck towed a few times for breakdowns , and once had the truck on the flat deck and the 5ver behind for a 100 mile tow. Have always had friendly , fast service from the tow companies dispatched.
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4 SXT 6.4l Hemi 3:73's
Former Michelin Tire Guy
kevnval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:45 AM   #34

Quote:
Thanks Glenn- (I removed your pdf as it contained your fulll address....)
Nice to know the price doesn't seem to go up after the 1st year.
Still wonder about that "New members get up to $35 off the 1st year" thing. Guess I'll give them a call one day soon.

Might just go with the GS Platinum and not the GS Platinum+
The only real difference seems to be the + lets you choose the garage and
I would choose Chevy/GM where the cheaper GS like all the others (except my AAA) they choose the nearest "qualified" garage.

AAA won't work for me if they don't answer the phone when I need them!
Wife doesn't care for the AAA trip tics but she reads those state by state
Tour Books while we're on the road. We will miss those. We actually like
the google maps self printed trip tics better.

Drifting slightly off topic here -- Are there any decent books you can get-
electronic or printed- that would be good substitutes for the AAA tour books?
We always look in the book stores for different tour books. I also checked Coach-net, they will only tow you to there closest location, that is a big difference. The only thing I can say is that you need people who deal with RV'S all the time. Good Sams is a pretty good deal. They seem to have these leaders all the time, I always ask what will my price be the second year. The 100 mile tow is a plus, I know that my car broke down and I had a choice to tow it home or to a garage or dealer. They have also on other occasions picked my dead car up from my home and towed it to a dealer that I wanted to use. People also think the first year CN will do anything, if you look at the site it is very basic and a 1 time shot only when it comes with a new RV from FR. But you can upgrade. Thanks for removing my name, but wanted just to let you know they don't raise your cost yearly. "Happy New Year".... Ps: If you buy for 3 years they hold that price, you can 1, 2 or 3 years when you sign up with a discounted price.

Tags
cover