Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2015, 10:18 PM   #1

AAA vs Coach Net vs Good Sam

Our roadside assistance (which we have never had to use -knock on wood) is expiring. Trying to determine whether to stay with what we have, change to another, or go without. Definitely want to hear both good and bad, as well as other options. We don't do long hauls as we are both still working but am definitely looking forward to be able to do that at some point in the future.
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:01 PM   #2
Global Nomad

I don't think you can afford to be without road side assistance, as the first time you need it you know you will be in the middle of nowhere.
Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:20 PM   #3
I Break Everything

We have AAA, our towed vehicle broke down about 100 miles outside Texarkana. They came right away, covered the tow on the spot, no questions asked. plus lots of discounts other places.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:35 PM   #4

Just had our first adventure in using any of these ... have AAA on all our vehicles so our TV was covered for 5 miles to nearest garage (which was 6 miles away) but our TT was going to add $225 or so.
Have Progressive on the TT ... they would have towed it 250 miles at no charge but one of us would have had to stay back with the trailer to be picked up.
Am now looking into what will need to happen at our next renewal period so keeping an eye on this info exchange

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:44 PM   #5

I had AAA Plus RV and had a bad experience with them. So it was a toss up between CoachNet and Good Sam. As CoachNet gives a discount for 3 years and Good Sam didn't so I went with CoachNet. I have read good and bad about all three.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 07:03 PM   #6

I have CoachNet on Cedar Creek now but I had to use it one time in the middle of the night and got no help. I plan on going to Alaska next year and I guess I will have Good Sam and CoachNet. I don't ever plan to be going anywhere with the camper in the middle of the night ever again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 07:48 PM   #7

I have Coach Net going on three years. First week I had it, started a trip, on the bridge the TV brakes froze, smoking hot. They loaded the TV and hooked up the A frame, took both to Tires Plus, no charge, 7-8 miles away. I keep Progressive for insurance coverage as well.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:01 PM   #8
Frog-Toberfest Organizer

I've read good and bad about all three. I was considering AAA for insurance (auto and home) but they aren't any cheaper than what I currently have so I might look at coachnet. My regular insurance only pays $100 on my Tow vehicle but nothing on my fifth wheel.
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Days camped '16=43, '17=47, '18=57 '19=47 '20=47 '21=64 '22=62 '23=72 '24=0
Electra glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:12 PM   #9

Switched from AAA to Good Sam, if you have a problem they tow both the TV and RV. The policy also covers all your vehicles, boat and motorcycle trailers that you may own, borrow or rent.
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:15 PM   #10

Have AAA Premier. Truck broke down on Interstate in NC going south last November. They were there in no time. Flat bedded our truck. A few minutes later a multipurpose tractor trailer truck showed up and hooked on to our XLR Thunderbolt 5th toy hauler. This truck had the means to latch on to any RV including ours on which we use a gooseneck. Recommended a diesel repair shop and off we went about 20 miles away. No charges at all.
Have also used AAA at home for our car with similar great service.
tuxedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:46 PM   #11

I have CAA with RV coverage. Same policy as truck applies to TT. Or any vehicle or trl combination I'm in. With all the issues I hear about tires, brakes and hordes of other problems. It's worth the money in gold.

2012 F150 FX4 Crew 5.0
2012 Coachman Freedom Express 292BHDS (outdoor Kitchen)
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:20 PM   #12

Thanks for the feedback. We do have Progressive for the RV but mainly looking for roadside assistance. I guess it is better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:45 PM   #13

I had AAA RV+ for several years with our old Class C used for towing an open trailer with a race car. I can tell you absolute horror stories about poor service in MD/PA area. Once, they actually refused to change a flat on the side of the road. They insisted on towing the RV and leaving the trailer behind. When we purchased the A, we decided on Coach-Net based on the reviews. We have not had the opportunity to use it yet.

HillClimber
2001 Coachmen Mirada
HillClimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 12:13 PM   #14
Dahagen

Just for info...I pay $20 a year on my auto/Rv insurance policy and am covered for towing, lockout, flat repair, even battery replacement. A year ago my MH broke down and I was towed to a shop 80 miles away at no charge. Check your insurance policy first!
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 12:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I have CoachNet on Cedar Creek now but I had to use it one time in the middle of the night and got no help. I plan on going to Alaska next year and I guess I will have Good Sam and CoachNet. I don't ever plan to be going anywhere with the camper in the middle of the night ever
We broke down in Alaska 85 miles from the nearest RV repair shop. We had Progressive roadside assistance. They covered the tow (over $900) in full. Where I broke down there was no cell service. I had to wait for a vehicle to come along and flag them down. They were going through Tok where the shop was located. They stopped and sent the tow truck. When I got to Tok, I called Progressive and they said they would cover the charge. No problems at all. I used them a couple of other times and found their service to be very good.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:43 PM   #16

I have coach net right now and my rv insurance also has tow on it. You should keep some type of roadside. Consider this My old rig was a 40 foot 5er and I had a 3rd axel welds break causing the axel to fall off. Road side had to have the unit towed to the dealer but because of the size they had to place the 5er on a low boy trailer. After getting the needed permits for a over height load and loading and delivering it took 2 days and the insurance was billed $2500. That's was just the tow took another 5 months to have the 5er repaired. Had to replace all three axels. Traded in the unit 2 weeks after it's return.
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 01:03 PM   #17

I will never leave home in my RV without Good Sam Roadside Assistance. Peroid... I've used them and I've used other when I didn't have an RV. No comparison.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:36 PM   #18
Enjoying Life

Good Sam

Unfortunately I have used Good Sam three times over the past eight years. Once was my own stupidity, and the other two were the stroke of lady luck. They responded quickly and got me where I needed to be. It is a great feeling to know they there wherever you are in USA or Canada!

Good Sam is expiring next year, but I will be renewing without question.
mpoulin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 01:56 PM   #19

We had Good Sam and only used it on a lockout. Good response. Now have Coach-Net with our new 2016 Sanibel 3701. We'll see.
James Briar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 01:59 PM   #20

From what I saw at the FROG Rally in Goshen, I would recommend CoachNet - especially if you are thinking of or will be going Fulltime.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
good sam