Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2015, 08:40 PM   #1

About to buy a FR 295BHS Appreciate Any Advice!

Hi all,

I am new to trailer camping, but I've been trying to do some research and am suppose to go in tomorrow to finalize a deal for a Forest River 2015 295BHS. But, I have a few questions and would really appreciate any feedback the experts on this forum could provide.

As a little background, we chose this model because we have 3 kids (14, 11, and 7) and it has the BH in the back. I also liked the outside kitchen. We also chose this model because the dry weigh is only around 5800#, which I thought was good since my tow vehicle is a 5.7L Tundra (with tow package).

1) We settled on a price of $21,160 for the trailer, seems reasonable. Any feedback here?

2) This trailer has a "short slide" meaning that it only sides out 3'. This helps reduce the weight, and it still feels like plenty of room in the trailer, but will that significantly hurt me if I ever need to sell?

3) We opted not to do the 15k A/C as it comes with a 13.5. We live in Virginia, but it does get pretty hot in the summer. Most folks on the Forest River forums upgraded to the 15k A/C, but is this really necessary?

4) We are buying the hitch, sway bars, load balancer, and brake controller (all installed) from the dealer and they came in just under $1000 for all of that. This part seemed too high, but I'm not an expert here.

5) Do I need the 50 amp power cord? It comes with a 30amp, but again, other folks have suggested getting the 50.

Thanks all in advance. I've picked up a ton of tips and advice on these forums and it really, really helped when I went in to negotiate.
GolfOCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:08 AM   #2

That price for the trailer seems very reasonable to me. The price for the sway bar and other components is a little high.

Don't buy a 50amp cord if the trailer is a 30amp.
mbCik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 05:28 PM   #3
fx2

Go with the 15k AC, its worth the few extra bucks

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2002 Ford F250 7.3l 4x4
fx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:42 PM   #4

We have a 2011, 295kbh and love the trailer. The bunkhouse for the kids and the outdoor kitchen are awesome.
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:29 AM   #5

Love my 292, no problems towing with an F150 5 L. I have the deep slide and outdoor kitchen. Only bought that size because I have 8 grandkids that love to camp. We take up to 4 at a time all under 11 years old.

2012 F150 FX4 Crew 5.0
2012 Coachman Freedom Express 292BHDS (outdoor Kitchen)
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:38 PM   #6

We survived our first outing! :)

We survived our first weekend of camping and it was a mixed bad of good things and some "ok" things. Nothing bad, it was just kind of noisy at the camp ground we were at. I think we're going to look for more "quieter" spots.

First off, I will say that I don't know why anybody would buy any other camper. I'm a little concerned about the quality of the construction, but I think this may just be TT world, which I'm just getting used to.

The only really dumb thing we did was fill up the gray tank with another day to go. So, all teeth brushing was outside and no washing of dishes. LOL

In the two days were were there, we used just about every gadget and feature on the trailer.

Outside kitchen: Perfect for bacon in the morning. Outside fridge, awesome. I also thought that I would not like how the door does not swing all the way up, because I think it will "brown" over the years from the cooking, but I now love it because it keeps debris from falling in whatever you are cooking.

Outside shower: Perfect for hosing off dirty kids and we washed the dog with it after he got muddy.

Fine to tow with a 1/2 ton pick up truck. I won't win any races, but it performed just fine.

The Blue Ox Sway Pro and the Yakonsha P3 are the perfect combo.

LOVE the LED lighting on the awning.

Outside speakers, could be a little louder, but it was great to have them.

U-shaped dinette, perfect. Our family of 5 fit around it nicely.

32" TV nice to watch a movie and let the kids simmer down at night.

A little wobbly, I may look into braces for this thing.

The heat in the morning was HOT and the A/C was COLD (but we were in shade, not direct sunlight).

As for the noise outside, we just turned on the fan and it drowned out any noise and we all slept great.

Power tongue...awesome.

Emptying the black tank was not as bad as I was thinking it was going to be. Actually kind of no big deal.

The kids played outside a LOT. No real complaining about the lack of video games and my son can throw a frisbee like a champ. Who knew? We had a good time and looking forward to our next adventure.

Just overall a really great experience. We needed one more 2x4 to level the trailer perfectly, but oh well. You live and learn.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:40 PM   #7

Ah, I did have a question about that. A campground asked us today if we wanted 30 amp or 50 amp, I told them 30. So, the camper is 30 amp, and that's it, not both, correct? (sorry for the dumb question)
Old 06-01-2015, 01:49 PM   #8

Glad to see you enjoyed it. I have a similar TT based on the image search I did. Congrats.

You can stay at a 50 amp site, you just need a 30 amp female to 50 amp male adapter. You can get these at any RV, walmart, calranch store. I also have a 30 amp female to 110 male adapter too. Good to have on hand just in case.

I too have a stabilization problem, not really a problem but I prefer to get it rock solid! What I do is I have an extra couple sets of the plastic lego leveling blocks, I stack a few under each stabilizer foot, the less they travel the more stable they are. I also have a few extra pyramid style stabilizing twist jacks. I put them on a few lego leveling blocks and snug them up on the front and behind the tires to the frame. This takes some bounce out of the suspension and takes a little flex out of the tires. Some others just the BAL x chocks with success. I already had the pyramid jacks so it was a cheap fix for me.

I also level and put my stabilizers down before I run my slide out. Once my slide is out I re-adjust all jacks is necessary. Doing this I have nearly no side to side or up and down movement in the trailer unless my son decides he's superman and jumps off something again.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:53 PM   #9

oooooh, so that thing. I google'd that. I've seen it, ok makes sense now. Glad to know you can just convert, I probably would have been skeptical.

I also read somewhere, and can't find the post now, that I need a "low flow" gas grill. That would explain the skinnier gas hook-ups near the rear of the camper.

Tags