Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #1
White River Powersports Dealership

Accessories and Labor

I made an appointment to have a fantastic vent installed.. no-thermostat, $299.00 plus $129 labor per vent, ( i wanted two, but that slowed me down), and brake controller $99.00 with wiring labor at $149.00 , and a winterizing drain kit, $20.00 plus $129 labor. Does this sound reasonable?

Michael
powertrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrader View Post
I made an appointment to have a fantastic vent installed.. no-thermostat, $299.00 plus $129 labor per vent, ( i wanted two, but that slowed me down), and brake controller $99.00 with wiring labor at $149.00 , and a winterizing drain kit, $20.00 plus $129 labor. Does this sound reasonable?

Michael

Install fantastic vent fan in existing vent hole - total time for a novice who won't draw blood with a screw driver - 30 minutes per vent IF you can't read the VERY easy to read instruction sheet.

Fantastic Vent Model 4000 - $125.99

Winterizing drain kit - less that 15 minutes but you might need to contort yourself to get to the water pump. Easier to unscrew pump from the floor and pull it toward you to gain access to the inlet in MY 5th wheel.

http://www.adventurerv.net/single-va...er-p-1572.html

http://www.adventurerv.net/3way-wint...ve-p-1575.html
(another way to go)

As to the brake controller, it depends on the truck you are installing into (tow package factory installed?) and the controller type.

Could be less than 5 minutes of an install if truck is pre-wired and it is a commonly used controller.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pump Storage Diagram.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	23024   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1847.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	23025  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:40 PM   #3

I do everything myself ... I lie, I had to visit the factory to have the slide leak stopped. Except that it is all me .... My labour is free I do not like it when people ask me if my time has no value to me. Of course it does, a lot. This is a hobby and I enjoy doing it. 129 dollars labour for each item, I would laugh as I left ....
Old 01-15-2013, 12:44 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goomph View Post
I do everything myself ... I lie, I had to visit the factory to have the slide leak stopped. Except that it is all me .... My labour is free I do not like it when people ask me if my time has no value to me. Of course it does, a lot. This is a hobby and I enjoy doing it. 129 dollars labour for each item, I would laugh as I left ....
Ditto - It sounds to me like his dealer is like my old (&^%$&%^$) dealer's service department.

I did not laugh as I left; steam was pouring out of my ears; jaw too locked to speak. Have NEVER gone back and would drive across country to avoid buying anything from them. I recommend you do, too.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
Don't Camp Enough

Ditto x 2

There is hardly anything that you buy over the counter that does not come with installation instructions.

Besides, you can Google the mistery out of anything!

DSMURPHY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:10 PM   #6

Thats what I thought,,, to say I was suprized would be an understatement. The labor rate alone is double what I felt would be normal, and I knew that the parts were marked up too!!,,, How can they stay busy like that?
Old 01-15-2013, 01:21 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrader View Post
Thats what I thought,,, to say I was suprized would be an understatement. The labor rate alone is double what I felt would be normal, and I knew that the parts were marked up too!!,,, How can they stay busy like that?
They stay busy like that because. ...

Some people have more money than brains

Some people can't read directions or tools

Some people have more money than brains

Some people think there getting a good deal.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #8

+ Some people need somebody else to blame if something goes wrong .
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:09 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
True that!

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:34 PM   #10

Quote:

I didnt think of that,,, now its almost worth it.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Ditto - It sounds to me like his dealer is like my old (&^%$&%^$) dealer's service department.

I did not laugh as I left; steam was pouring out of my ears; jaw too locked to speak. Have NEVER gone back and would drive across country to avoid buying anything from them. I recommend you do, too.
Dont hold back Herk,tell us how you really feal Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:06 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Dont hold back Herk,tell us how you really feal Youroo!!
Sorry, have not thought about that dealership in a long while. It amazes me how close to the surface and how fast that bile can bubble up when reminded.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:18 PM   #13

I called them back,, asked if they could accept double their standard labor rate ($129 hr) if I booked them for the day,,,, he said, "I'll have to check with my manager"...
Old 01-15-2013, 04:22 PM   #14
Site Team

Are you talking to the service department at the dealer?

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:29 PM   #15
Oklahoma Proud

Just being the devils advicate. I have worked much of my working life on commision at auto dealerships. And if it takes me 30minuted or all day to do a certain job I get payed the same. So experiance counts.
-Also ya'll may forget that 12-15 years ago you could fill a 32 gal. fuel tank for less than $30 now that same tank will be over $120. So if I did your job for $30 15 years ago, is it really that crazy to ask $120 today. Realisticly our wages do not go up at the same rate as everything else.
- But in a free market you can go else were if the prices are to high- but more often than not someone will take something to the dealer because they are the dealer- that's good for me
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:40 PM   #16
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Plus this, you have people trained, and experianced in this kind of work, plus their liability insurance( which isn't free) and sometimes manuf. recomendations and engineering to stand behind them.

Ps. We do eat a lot of little stuff and "good will" a lot too.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:47 PM   #17
Site Team

Cost of labor is not cheap but sometimes it is worth it to me. They usually know how to do the job, have the correct tools and will clean up afterwards. But then I don't have the tools, knowledge or desire to do the task to start with.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:35 PM   #18

I think the labor rate is on par for the dealer. Being a craftsman myself, I know that sometimes you don't get paid for literally what you do, but for what you know, or for what the consumer may not know, or the risk(s) involved..... That being said, I would say that if you are confident in your ability, and willing to take the inherent risk(s), then by all means, go for it. Would I pay that for the items and work you want.....not a chance. I did however pay dealer labor rate on my last trailer, when I added a 2nd AC, relocated the existing AC, and relocated the fantastic fan. To me, it was well worth it to pay the <$200 for them to do the relocating. I then took over and wired the 2nd AC unit and upgraded the unit to 50A. On the new unit, the 1/2 bath does not have a fan, so I plan on upgrading it to the Vortex II myself. You don't have to disturb the roof seal, and I think for <$100, that will suffice for the 1/2 bath. Had I caught it when I ordered, I probably would've just paid whatever the option cost was to have the factory do the upgraded fan in there. I think it's more of a pick and choose thing.

2012 F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7L
2013 Sabre 36QBOK-7 Platinum Package
LaydBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:58 AM   #19

Just to clarify, I am willing to pay a reasonable profit to a Dealership for their services, (parts, and labor), I just wanted to have an idea if it was a fairly standard offering.
I know all to well about paying trained technicians, insurance, special tools, and all that goes along with being a dealership, and paying a fair profit I am never opposed to. This is all new to me as I have zero experience with the RV world, so I am just trying to be an educated consumer.

Tags
accessories