Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2019, 02:35 PM   #1

Advice for pricing my Travel Trailer

Hey guys,
My husband and I bought a new 2018 Primetime Lacrosse July 2017. He lost his battle with cancer in April 2018. For me, camping and traveling alone isn't fun. Also its difficult for me to do all the maintenance and everything involved with the camper alone, so I've decided to sell it. I realize I'm going to take a hit because of depreciation. Does anyone have advice on how to price it?

I've read that NADA isn't a very dependable guide. There aren't many of these for sale right now (to use as a guide).

I would like to offer a fair price (avoid all the haggling), and to hopefully make a quick sell. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

The camper has almost every option available plus I could (if needed) add equipment we had bought (macerator, x chocks, Anderson levelers). Originally I had thought to sell these items individually on the forum but if it would help to sell the camper, I'm willing to do that.

Thank you!
VBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:05 PM   #2

I think I would sell the add on's separately. I don't believe they will make or break the sale of the camper. There appear to be numerous PRIMETIME Lacrosse models ranging from 25k-40k New (2911RB, 3360BI, 3370MB, 3299SE, etc.) SO MORE detail as far as the model number would be helpful to be able to advise you.

I'm thinking if your looking for a profitable sale, an additional 10% off the lowest advertised price you find from a dealer would spark some serious interest. If you're looking to move it quickly, likely 20% would have them stampeding your door.

Since you bought in July, You still likely have a month or so of warranty left so that would be something I would advertise. "Come check it out and test all the systems and if you find something wrong I can take it to the dealer for you to get repaired prior to the sale." I think that would put peoples mind at ease and be a solid selling point. If there were any modifications done (such as added a TV, Bathroom towel rack/TP holder mounted, fan upgraded, double batteries, etc.) that would save someone some money vs. buying a 2019 or 2020, whichever model year is out currently, I would list those along with the options you had added to the base model.

Lastly, I'm sorry for your loss.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyGus View Post
I think I would sell the add on's separately. I don't believe they will make or break the sale of the camper. There appear to be numerous PRIMETIME Lacrosse models ranging from 25k-40k New (2911RB, 3360BI, 3370MB, 3299SE, etc.) SO MORE detail as far as the model number would be helpful to be able to advise you.

I'm thinking if your looking for a profitable sale, an additional 10% off the lowest advertised price you find from a dealer would spark some serious interest. If you're looking to move it quickly, likely 20% would have them stampeding your door.

Since you bought in July, You still likely have a month or so of warranty left so that would be something I would advertise. "Come check it out and test all the systems and if you find something wrong I can take it to the dealer for you to get repaired prior to the sale." I think that would put peoples mind at ease and be a solid selling point. If there were any modifications done (such as added a TV, Bathroom towel rack/TP holder mounted, fan upgraded, double batteries, etc.) that would save someone some money vs. buying a 2019 or 2020, whichever model year is out currently, I would list those along with the options you had added to the base model.

Lastly, I'm sorry for your loss.
CincyGus,
Thank you for the good advice. I don't know why I didn't put the model in. I know better.

It is a 330RST. Unfortunately it is out of warranty, at least the 1 year all in. There is plenty left on the individual systems however. I will have had it 2 years this July. I do have all maintenance records, from service to the DIY side of it. I would think that would help.

We didn't have enough time to have done any serious modifications other than attaching and wiring the macerator. It does have 2 AC units and all the options available from the manufacturer (table with 4 chairs/stainless appliances with 4 door fridg, etc.)

I don't believe they are making that particular model any longer. But I will take your advice and look to what is most similar on the models currently listed.

Thanks for answering! I have learned SO much from this forum.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:40 PM   #4

Two years ago we sold our 2007 Jayco 26' TT. I used both NADA and KBB for values and I sold it for $500 more than the KBB value and $500 less than my original asking price. It gave me a decent place to start.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 10:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Two years ago we sold our 2007 Jayco 26' TT. I used both NADA and KBB for values and I sold it for $500 more than the KBB value and $500 less than my original asking price. It gave me a decent place to start.
Thank you! If you don't mind, how did you advertise? I know I could post here and rvtrader. I'm uncertain how effective Craigslist may be but will do so if I need to.

I'm about to take it to be serviced and clear up any issues it may have so I have a bit of time to come up with my price points and such.

I almost think it was easier buying. And I felt as though I had sold my soul after THAT process. [emoji2]
Old 06-09-2019, 11:02 PM   #6

My location helped a lot. I did post on Craigs list and received a few inquiries. Several were tossed as I spotted them as scams right away. I live on a fairly busy street and received more calls and stop by's with a "Camper For Sale" sign at the curb, with a phone number. Had more responses just from drive-by's than anything else. I would certainly use as many avenues as possible...Craig, RV Trader, news paper...whatever options would be most beneficial to you.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:08 PM   #7

We're getting ready to put our 2018 Cherokee Patriot Limited Edition 304BS up for sale very soon. We're getting out of the camping scene as we purchased a cabin and 42 acres last Sept and we spend most of our free time there. We're here for week right now. I'll probably use the same method as I did for the Jayco and hope for the best.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:44 PM   #8

So sorry to hear about the loss of your husband. Some good selling advice above but also be aware some dealers will take them on consignment. You will lose a bit to their commission but it may be worth it to make it easier.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 06:10 PM   #9

Sometimes, life isn't fair and we are very sorry for your loss. After a year, you are now taking steps to move on.

First off, you do not have to take a serious hit on selling your TT. Gas prices are good, as is the market. Prices of new units are increasing annually. As in real estate, we are in a seller's market.

We sold our MH a couple of years ago. When we bought it, it was a new, year old coach on the dealer's lot. We had the unit for two years, used it very little and decided to sell.

After doing the research we posted a very detailed 2-page ad on craigslist along with 24 pictures. We used the NADA value, the price of a like-unit new (ours had gone up 10%), and listed every option/upgrade as part of the info packet. It came to be that the value was actually more than we paid for it. We listed it $4,000 higher. Within a week, we got a cash offer negotiated down $4,000, so we got what we actually wanted. It was more that the initial purchase price.

The NADA value guide for a TT is basically the same as vehicles. The base price is for the basic shell. You have to go through the list of everything and choose the range style/oven, microwave, size of the fridge, A/C size, additional A/C, TVs, virtually everything that your TT has. If it has been added, but is not listed in NADA, add it in. If it works to your advantage, print a copy of the NADA value and use it. Look on the net and find comps-make one of them the value of a new like model.

The ad is written in a manner that walks the buyer through the unit in sequence with the 24 pictures. Give the buyer a feeling of ownership. Never use words like death in family forces sale, must sell, make offer, or OBO (or best offer). That is asking for a low ball.

We have sold several high ticket items over the years in two states and we have found that the MH deal was not an anomaly. For that, craigslist has been the go to site to sell. We initially tried other paid sites and got no responses.

In each of the two areas that we have sold, we are between metropolitan craigslist areas. Contrary to logic, we post the ads in the least populated areas and have had the greatest success. The theory is that: there is less competition; potential buyers in more rural areas do not like to travel to large cities; potential buyers in larger metro areas will travel. Note that when posting an ad in one craigslist area, it is also posted in adjoining craigslist areas. If there is a strong potential customer, we will leave the ad posted. If not, each Friday, we delete the craigslist ad. Once deleted, craigslist gives two options: undelete and repost. Clicking on repost, the ad can be changed or just placed back on line. The ad is at the top and there is no history. Thursday and Friday is the time when working people will start looking for potential ads to contact. Time and again, this has brought a call and a buyer almost immediately.

Our theory on selling is that we only need one good call. We are not in a popularity contest. When an interested party comes to look, we have a package of information for them. Under no circumstances do we follow them around. Let the package of information do the talking. Instead, we advise them that they are free to look, open any doors, drawers, etc. If they have questions, we will be in the near proximity. We will remain visible, but removed-people like to be able to breath and talk between themselves.

Once they have taken a thorough look. we will ask if they have any questions. At that time, there may be a low-ball figure. Our response is that we appreciate the offer, but we know the value. We are willing to negotiate to a point, but are not pressed to sell. We advise them to take time and think it over-we realize it is a big investment. They may ask what we are willing to do, and we may counter for about half of where we want to be. If they don't counter offer, we won't pressure someone. If they ask if there has been other interest, we simply state that we know someone is serious when they have cash in hand.

When you are approaching selling this TT, don't look at yourself as a victim. Know everything about what you are selling and have documentation to back it up. It keeps you in the driver's seat. You have an excellent item to sell. Serious parties will know that. Serious parties will be willing to pay the price.

If you any further questions, you can private message.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 02:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
Sometimes, life isn't fair and we are very sorry for your loss. After a year, you are now taking steps to move on.

First off, you do not have to take a serious hit on selling your TT. Gas prices are good, as is the market. Prices of new units are increasing annually. As in real estate, we are in a seller's market.

We sold our MH a couple of years ago. When we bought it, it was a new, year old coach on the dealer's lot. We had the unit for two years, used it very little and decided to sell.

After doing the research we posted a very detailed 2-page ad on craigslist along with 24 pictures. We used the NADA value, the price of a like-unit new (ours had gone up 10%), and listed every option/upgrade as part of the info packet. It came to be that the value was actually more than we paid for it. We listed it $4,000 higher. Within a week, we got a cash offer negotiated down $4,000, so we got what we actually wanted. It was more that the initial purchase price.

The NADA value guide for a TT is basically the same as vehicles. The base price is for the basic shell. You have to go through the list of everything and choose the range style/oven, microwave, size of the fridge, A/C size, additional A/C, TVs, virtually everything that your TT has. If it has been added, but is not listed in NADA, add it in. If it works to your advantage, print a copy of the NADA value and use it. Look on the net and find comps-make one of them the value of a new like model.

The ad is written in a manner that walks the buyer through the unit in sequence with the 24 pictures. Give the buyer a feeling of ownership. Never use words like death in family forces sale, must sell, make offer, or OBO (or best offer). That is asking for a low ball.

We have sold several high ticket items over the years in two states and we have found that the MH deal was not an anomaly. For that, craigslist has been the go to site to sell. We initially tried other paid sites and got no responses.

In each of the two areas that we have sold, we are between metropolitan craigslist areas. Contrary to logic, we post the ads in the least populated areas and have had the greatest success. The theory is that: there is less competition; potential buyers in more rural areas do not like to travel to large cities; potential buyers in larger metro areas will travel. Note that when posting an ad in one craigslist area, it is also posted in adjoining craigslist areas. If there is a strong potential customer, we will leave the ad posted. If not, each Friday, we delete the craigslist ad. Once deleted, craigslist gives two options: undelete and repost. Clicking on repost, the ad can be changed or just placed back on line. The ad is at the top and there is no history. Thursday and Friday is the time when working people will start looking for potential ads to contact. Time and again, this has brought a call and a buyer almost immediately.

Our theory on selling is that we only need one good call. We are not in a popularity contest. When an interested party comes to look, we have a package of information for them. Under no circumstances do we follow them around. Let the package of information do the talking. Instead, we advise them that they are free to look, open any doors, drawers, etc. If they have questions, we will be in the near proximity. We will remain visible, but removed-people like to be able to breath and talk between themselves.

Once they have taken a thorough look. we will ask if they have any questions. At that time, there may be a low-ball figure. Our response is that we appreciate the offer, but we know the value. We are willing to negotiate to a point, but are not pressed to sell. We advise them to take time and think it over-we realize it is a big investment. They may ask what we are willing to do, and we may counter for about half of where we want to be. If they don't counter offer, we won't pressure someone. If they ask if there has been other interest, we simply state that we know someone is serious when they have cash in hand.

When you are approaching selling this TT, don't look at yourself as a victim. Know everything about what you are selling and have documentation to back it up. It keeps you in the driver's seat. You have an excellent item to sell. Serious parties will know that. Serious parties will be willing to pay the price.

If you any further questions, you can private message.
PenJoe did a great job explaining the Craigslist process. One thing I might add on advertising location: we had a trailer advertised on CL that was not getting much response. I asked a friendly local rv dealer about it. They told me the location to use where they get their best response. I would never have thought to advertise there as it was in a different state, but within a week we had it sold.
2011 Rockwood 2604
K_and_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 03:28 PM   #11

I have found that Facebook Marketplace gets me more serious inquiries and sales than CraigList ever did. I only use it now. Good luck to you.
Blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank View Post
I have found that Facebook Marketplace gets me more serious inquiries and sales than CraigList ever did. I only use it now. Good luck to you.
Thank you everyone for all the great advice and condolences. Hopefully, after the camper is done being serviced, I'll be back to let you all know how it went.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_and_I View Post
PenJoe did a great job explaining the Craigslist process. One thing I might add on advertising location: we had a trailer advertised on CL that was not getting much response. I asked a friendly local rv dealer about it. They told me the location to use where they get their best response. I would never have thought to advertise there as it was in a different state, but within a week we had it sold.
Your friendly RV dealer is absolutely on the mark. As I originally stated, we are surrounded by 4 craigslist centers. For us, the least populated has been the most successful. Depending on what we are offering, we may choose one of the three over another. Early on, we tried the larger metro areas in two geographic areas and got no responses-who would have thought.

It's an interesting science to see how people respond. As noted, we do very thorough and lengthy descriptions accompanied by many photos of what we are offering. When showing, we have offered them a copy of the information and they tell us that they have it and have read it multiple times. They have actually recited from the listing material. That's what we like to hear.

We had one instance where a couple traveled from Iowa, into Minnesota, and then into Wisconsin to buy a bedroom set. That was in the vicinity of 300 miles round trip. We had not advertised in Iowa. Though we will not misrepresent what we are selling, we still questioned them as to travel distance. They drove that distance because it was exactly what they were looking for. It was as described and they were happy.

In another instance, we were listing our center console boat on the Florida Gulf coast side. We got a call from an individual on the Florida Atlantic coast with an interest in buying. We had not advertised on the Atlantic side. He traversed Florida twice. Once to make the deal and give a deposit and the second time to bring cash and take the boat. That's a total of 700 miles plus. He was happy to do it.

It is ultimately the presentation that sets ads apart. Accurate, lengthy, and thorough with documentation to back it up will bring results. A one line, paragraph, or two on a high ticket item? If the seller has no interest, the buyer just keeps looking.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer