Old 01-14-2014, 10:44 PM   #11

It depends on what features you want. I was given a budget for a golf cart and did a fair amount of research. We walked on the lot, and I immediately went to the golf carts that appeared to me to be within my budget. "Why are you walking to those ugly ones. I want one like that (pointing to a golf cart I quickly estimated to be twice my budget.)" I asked, "Are you willing to double the budget?" I got the answer, "Well, I am not willing to ride around the campground in one of those (point to one of the ugly ones)." In 2007, we bought a 2003 Club Car DS with knobby tires, rear fold down seat, head lights, and in blue metallic. Not an ugly one. We paid about $3,400 for it and bought it here - Carts For Sale | Sale Golf Cars

2-3 years later, it was stolen. Pay the $125 a year to insure it. We called the dealer to ask him to be on the look out for it and he said, "I am so sorry...when are you coming to pick up your loaner?" So, I recommend him to everyone!

I will also caution you to check with your seasonal campground as to whether you can use gas or electric. My seasonal campground requires us to have gas golf carts and you may have to pay extra for electric.

rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:20 PM   #12

I work in Golf Car Sales. Typically a Good 5-6 year old Golf Car will Start at $2500 for your basic 2 passenger on the low end these days. Gas cars can run to be a little more expensive because they are in higher demand. Many Dealers will try to sell electric golf cars with "Good" used batteries when going electric. Beware of these. Most batteries have a date code stamping. If they are older than 2 years old I would stay away. Typically I only sell electric cars with new batteries unless I know where they came from, how they were maintained and are less than 2 years old.

If you decide electric is the way to go, I would try to insist on New Trojan Batteries as a first or US Batteries as a second. I have seen every brand from Costco to Interstate and inbetween. wile sometimes they are ok, I see many more failures in these "cheaper" batteries.

My personal recommendation for limited use would be gas. Tune them up once a year and many of these will run forever. Batteries in an electric golf car typically only last 4-5 years for the best brands and sometimes less for the cheaper ones. These can also cost you up to $1000 for replacment. Ive seen guys kill a set of batteries in 2 years that never bothered to check the battery water level.

Stick to the 3 Major brands Club Car, Yamaha, or Ezgo. There are quite a few cheap chinese golf cars available these days. Parts for these are very hard to get and some of the companies themselves dont stick around too long. If you stick to the main three you should never have a problem with parts. Find out who your local dealers or distributors are. Contact the manufacturers and see who is close to you. There are alot of backyard guys these days and when the cars may well be very good, you want to know you'll get service when you need it. Most reputable dealers will offer a warranty. Factory re-furbished cars are nice and Club Car and Ezgo both offer these as well, but they run a little more on the expensive side.

As with anything there are specific models and or years to avoid altogether that have been headaches in the industry.

If you have any questions about anything specific feel free to PM me. If you were closer to NY I would find you something good.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkcorvair View Post
I work in Golf Car Sales. Typically a Good 5-6 year old Golf Car will Start at $2500 for your basic 2 passenger on the low end these days. Gas cars can run to be a little more expensive because they are in higher demand. Many Dealers will try to sell electric golf cars with "Good" used batteries when going electric. Beware of these. Most batteries have a date code stamping. If they are older than 2 years old I would stay away. Typically I only sell electric cars with new batteries unless I know where they came from, how they were maintained and are less than 2 years old.

If you decide electric is the way to go, I would try to insist on New Trojan Batteries as a first or US Batteries as a second. I have seen every brand from Costco to Interstate and inbetween. wile sometimes they are ok, I see many more failures in these "cheaper" batteries.

My personal recommendation for limited use would be gas. Tune them up once a year and many of these will run forever. Batteries in an electric golf car typically only last 4-5 years for the best brands and sometimes less for the cheaper ones. These can also cost you up to $1000 for replacment. Ive seen guys kill a set of batteries in 2 years that never bothered to check the battery water level.

Stick to the 3 Major brands Club Car, Yamaha, or Ezgo. There are quite a few cheap chinese golf cars available these days. Parts for these are very hard to get and some of the companies themselves dont stick around too long. If you stick to the main three you should never have a problem with parts. Find out who your local dealers or distributors are. Contact the manufacturers and see who is close to you. There are alot of backyard guys these days and when the cars may well be very good, you want to know you'll get service when you need it. Most reputable dealers will offer a warranty. Factory re-furbished cars are nice and Club Car and Ezgo both offer these as well, but they run a little more on the expensive side.

As with anything there are specific models and or years to avoid altogether that have been headaches in the industry.

If you have any questions about anything specific feel free to PM me. If you were closer to NY I would find you something good.
Thanks for the info, it will be helpful when I get one.