Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #1

Advice needed: Buying a golf cart

Now that we are seasonal, I'd really like to buy a golf cart for the campground. It's a pretty big place with lots of children, so I don't want to be driving the 4x4 around if I can avoid it. A golf cart would be perfect. My question is what should I expect to spend? I know that I want electric(48v) and I want it to be newer( 07 and above). I'm not looking for customization or anything fancy. I figure I can trick it out myself as time goes by. I've looked around on Craigslist a bit but everything seems really over priced. If you own something similar to what I'm looking for, can you let me know what you paid? Also, if anyone is within 100 miles of Cincinnati and have a recommendation on where to buy one around here, please let me know that too. Thanks for your help!!!
Old 08-08-2013, 09:35 AM   #2

Probably looking at 3-4K for a newer model. 07 and up is newer when it comes to golf carts.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:30 AM   #3

Sometimes at the end of season, or early Spring, golf courses upgrade and have used units for sale. We and our son each bought one that way. They aren't advertised, it's word of mouth.
Hijinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #4

eBay and Craigs list are good sources.
If nothing else, you can get a feeling for the lemons that are out there before getting a reliable unit.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:45 AM   #5

I guess ours are purchased older but they've held up just fine ~ usually catch a deal around 600-1500.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:48 PM   #6

Try Eichler Golf Cars in Hamilton, Ohio. Gary is great to work with.
2013leprechaun319dsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:34 PM   #7

Bought an 06, 36 volt EZGO in 2010 from a guy who gets them from golf courses. He went over the whole thing mechanically and touched up paint etc. Paid $1895. I added a light kit, hub caps, and reapolstered the seat (cig. butt burns). Then I went back to him and purchased a rear seat and step and installed that myself also. This past spring/summer, I replaced all 6 batteries. Other than the all the add-ons, the only "maintenance" I had to do was the batteries.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:30 AM   #8

Golf carts surprisingly hold a decent resale value. Just stuck with the major brands, easier for service or parts.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:05 PM   #9

E Z Go dealers have factory refurbished units. I just bought one last month. It is essentially new from frame/motor up. New tires and wheels and wheel bearings, new body with windshield, seat and top and new set of batteries. Also came with lights, horn, charger, and charge level indicator. Also comes with 2 year bumper to bumper warranty. I also had them take off the golf bag holders and add a small bed for hauling things around the property. I went with one of the older 6 volt models since they don't make a bed yet for the newer 48 volt models. I paid $3800 from the dealer which I felt was very reasonable since most I looked at from private people were running around $2800 for carts with no warranty and varrying degrees of condition.

Rod
Rod, Debbe 1 spoiled Chihuahua and Becky the cat
1Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:51 PM   #10

around here they will be anywhere from 1700 - 2500 , and an 07 may need new batteries and they are about 700

keep on camping

oak

2015 Silverado Duramax w/Allison transmission
2014 surveyor 293RL fifth wheel
1surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:44 PM   #11

It depends on what features you want. I was given a budget for a golf cart and did a fair amount of research. We walked on the lot, and I immediately went to the golf carts that appeared to me to be within my budget. "Why are you walking to those ugly ones. I want one like that (pointing to a golf cart I quickly estimated to be twice my budget.)" I asked, "Are you willing to double the budget?" I got the answer, "Well, I am not willing to ride around the campground in one of those (point to one of the ugly ones)." In 2007, we bought a 2003 Club Car DS with knobby tires, rear fold down seat, head lights, and in blue metallic. Not an ugly one. We paid about $3,400 for it and bought it here - Carts For Sale | Sale Golf Cars

2-3 years later, it was stolen. Pay the $125 a year to insure it. We called the dealer to ask him to be on the look out for it and he said, "I am so sorry...when are you coming to pick up your loaner?" So, I recommend him to everyone!

I will also caution you to check with your seasonal campground as to whether you can use gas or electric. My seasonal campground requires us to have gas golf carts and you may have to pay extra for electric.
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:20 PM   #12

I work in Golf Car Sales. Typically a Good 5-6 year old Golf Car will Start at $2500 for your basic 2 passenger on the low end these days. Gas cars can run to be a little more expensive because they are in higher demand. Many Dealers will try to sell electric golf cars with "Good" used batteries when going electric. Beware of these. Most batteries have a date code stamping. If they are older than 2 years old I would stay away. Typically I only sell electric cars with new batteries unless I know where they came from, how they were maintained and are less than 2 years old.

If you decide electric is the way to go, I would try to insist on New Trojan Batteries as a first or US Batteries as a second. I have seen every brand from Costco to Interstate and inbetween. wile sometimes they are ok, I see many more failures in these "cheaper" batteries.

My personal recommendation for limited use would be gas. Tune them up once a year and many of these will run forever. Batteries in an electric golf car typically only last 4-5 years for the best brands and sometimes less for the cheaper ones. These can also cost you up to $1000 for replacment. Ive seen guys kill a set of batteries in 2 years that never bothered to check the battery water level.

Stick to the 3 Major brands Club Car, Yamaha, or Ezgo. There are quite a few cheap chinese golf cars available these days. Parts for these are very hard to get and some of the companies themselves dont stick around too long. If you stick to the main three you should never have a problem with parts. Find out who your local dealers or distributors are. Contact the manufacturers and see who is close to you. There are alot of backyard guys these days and when the cars may well be very good, you want to know you'll get service when you need it. Most reputable dealers will offer a warranty. Factory re-furbished cars are nice and Club Car and Ezgo both offer these as well, but they run a little more on the expensive side.

As with anything there are specific models and or years to avoid altogether that have been headaches in the industry.

If you have any questions about anything specific feel free to PM me. If you were closer to NY I would find you something good.
blkcorvair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkcorvair View Post
I work in Golf Car Sales. Typically a Good 5-6 year old Golf Car will Start at $2500 for your basic 2 passenger on the low end these days. Gas cars can run to be a little more expensive because they are in higher demand. Many Dealers will try to sell electric golf cars with "Good" used batteries when going electric. Beware of these. Most batteries have a date code stamping. If they are older than 2 years old I would stay away. Typically I only sell electric cars with new batteries unless I know where they came from, how they were maintained and are less than 2 years old.

If you decide electric is the way to go, I would try to insist on New Trojan Batteries as a first or US Batteries as a second. I have seen every brand from Costco to Interstate and inbetween. wile sometimes they are ok, I see many more failures in these "cheaper" batteries.

My personal recommendation for limited use would be gas. Tune them up once a year and many of these will run forever. Batteries in an electric golf car typically only last 4-5 years for the best brands and sometimes less for the cheaper ones. These can also cost you up to $1000 for replacment. Ive seen guys kill a set of batteries in 2 years that never bothered to check the battery water level.

Stick to the 3 Major brands Club Car, Yamaha, or Ezgo. There are quite a few cheap chinese golf cars available these days. Parts for these are very hard to get and some of the companies themselves dont stick around too long. If you stick to the main three you should never have a problem with parts. Find out who your local dealers or distributors are. Contact the manufacturers and see who is close to you. There are alot of backyard guys these days and when the cars may well be very good, you want to know you'll get service when you need it. Most reputable dealers will offer a warranty. Factory re-furbished cars are nice and Club Car and Ezgo both offer these as well, but they run a little more on the expensive side.

As with anything there are specific models and or years to avoid altogether that have been headaches in the industry.

If you have any questions about anything specific feel free to PM me. If you were closer to NY I would find you something good.
Thanks for the info, it will be helpful when I get one.