Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2016, 01:33 PM   #1

Advice on must haves

We are picking up our first TT next weekend. We plan to use where we just pack food and clothes and get on the road. So I am wondering what is everyone's list of must haves for your trailer? Starting to shop for the everyday things we will need and things that will help with storage or just make life easier 😊
klbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 02:05 PM   #2

Water pressure regulator, 50' white fresh water hose, good quality sewer hose, 30AMP extension cord, roof vent covers, extra fuses, wheel chocks, pressure treated boards for leveling trailer to start. I'm sure others will add things. You might want to consider a Progressive Industries EMS to protect all the on-board electronics, AC unit, furnace, fridge, water heater, tv radio, etc. Not cheap but cheaper than replacing said on-board electronics.
Wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 05:28 PM   #3

We discovered on our last trip that our first aid kit was woefully lacking. Get a good one.

“Always do what’s right; this will gratify some and astonish the rest” – Albert Einstein
CarpeDiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 05:50 PM   #4

A container to put your poop pipe in.
A non-drinking water hose.
Rubber gloves.
Wheel chocks.
Some treated 2x8 boards of different lengths.
Lawn chairs.
Bug repellent.
Fan.
Solo cups.
Paper plates.
Steve29rlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 05:53 PM   #5

Forget the leveling boards. Get yourself a pair of Anderson levelers. They are so slick and easy to use. They make leveling very easy and exact. We wouldn't use anything but!

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:01 PM   #6

Bring a tool bag/box with some basic hand tools. Get a decent size one because you will accumulate tools with every camping season.

Considering this is your first camper, you might want to put some thought into what type camp sites you'll be using. Full hookup/water electric etc. If you don't plan to use full hookup you'll want to buy a portable dump tank so you can dump black/gray water without having to break camp.

You'll also need some way to separate your fresh water supplies from your sewer supplies. We use large plastic bins.

Other items:
90 degree elbow to connect water supply line to camper
In - line water filter (provided your rig doesn't have whole house filtration)
An Oxygenics shower head to replace the factory one. Makes a big difference.
Tire pressure gauge

A note pad and pen to take notes on all the little stuff you'll need

slide5r4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:15 PM   #7

Safety first! A good TPMS is a must. We use the TST 507rv and wouldn't leave home without it. It could just save your lives.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:19 PM   #8

Tool kit with basic hand tools
Tools to change a flat tire, i.e, bottle jack or Traileraide, sockets and ratchet or lug wrench, torque wrench)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 01:38 PM   #9

A clear elbow for sewer pipe, makes dumping easier. Plastic bins, one for sewer stuff and one for drinking water stuff. Water filter is advised also. Picnic table cloth. Old rags. Paper towels. Hand sanitizer. Distilled water for battery.BBQ tools. Cooler. Fans.
ccsvolsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 01:54 PM   #10

I think everyone covered the RV relevant stuff, so....

Hit up a dollar store and go crazzzzy! A few weeks ago we were camping and left a bunch of stuff at home so we hit up a dollar store for some basics like paper plates... ended up buying like $30 worth of stuff, our camper is now better supplied than our house kitchen, and the pizza pans we bought are perfect for the undersized ovens these things come with! While your there buy a broom, thus way you can sweep your floor out when it gets a little dirty, we keep ours behind the couch.

Also, if your camping with kids... Keep cheap throw away lights in the cabinets! They are perfect for the kids to run around with and when they lose them it's no biggy! I buy a box(12-14 in a box) of them every summer it's like $15 and they all come with batteries!
Old 07-20-2016, 03:26 PM   #11
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

A must have is a happy campers attitude. All of us seasoned campers are willing to help, and teach of course. You can use the search box for first load out to get ideas. I personally want a volt tester. Something easy that you can plug-in. I initially started by just using the portable fan but fount an easy plugin.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 06:26 PM   #12
smc

3M Command products.

Your specific needs will vary, though we've added various hooks for keys, hats, coats, potholders, clothing, walking sticks, towels, and the very important bottle opener. We've also added caddies in the bathroom cabinets for small stuff, by the bed for pocket contents, and by the bed for glasses. We also have two broom holders in the toilet room for a broom and a mop.

We took a few trips in our 5er and made a list of what we needed for where before we shopped.

Now a Class A sob.
smc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 06:39 PM   #13

Passport America ................ we don't leave home without it............

https://passportamerica.com/

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:35 PM   #14

I'm gonna throw in suggestions for inside total comfort and really unnecessary to most people stuff. An Igloo (or similar) countertop ice maker. Worth it's weight and cost in gold. A brita walter filter pitcher for drinking and for water for the ice maker. Small flashlights in every room. Extention cords...a three prong and a regular plug in. Surge protectors for connecting your laptops if you take one. Sunscreen. Bug Stuff. Beach towels in addition to your regular towels. Good first aid kit. A fan--one that can be used inside and outside. A good pillow. A few tubs or containers to make sure your cabinets are organized. Trash bags. A can opener (we use a manual one). A rug for just before the steps and a rug for inside as you first step in. (inexpensive bathroom rugs work fine). A good attitude and willingness to have fun and relax!
Old 07-20-2016, 08:14 PM   #15

TPMS is piece of mind, we use TST 507. The first thing you should put on your trailer

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:26 PM   #16

LUG Wrench

Most trailers don't come with a lug wrench. Make sure you have the tools to change a tire. The Anderson Leveler works great with two axles. Just drive one wheel up on it and it lifts the flat off the ground. I always have a Hi Lift jack in my truck. My trailer slipped off the support under the post in front, and I would have had a problem without the jack. Take a notebook to write down all the things you need after your first trip.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:31 AM   #17

I have lug wrench and a way to get the camper off the ground but I make sure my phone is working if I have a flat because I call Roadside Assistance and let them change the tire

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 01:16 AM   #18

Trust me- I'm a doctor. Soon after you think you've got everything, you'll start pulling things back out; things you thought you absolutely had to have but found out you can live without them.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:14 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdst51 View Post
Trust me- I'm a doctor. Soon after you think you've got everything, you'll start pulling things back out; things you thought you absolutely had to have but found out you can live without them.
so true..............

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:15 AM   #20
Always Learning

There only a few items you NEED.

There are a good many you SHOULD have.

And the WANTS list is never ending.

See if this helps:
http://www.learntorv.com/2014/02/new...ssentials.html