Old 09-02-2018, 12:06 PM   #1

Advice on purchase from wholesaler

I recently put a deposit down on a Rockwood Geo Pro from a popular wholesaler in Ohio. They gave me the best price and could get the new refreshed 2019 model I wanted sooner than anyone else. The ETA on the Geo Pro is end of September and will be delivered to my home in Colorado.

What is the best way to handle the PDI in this scenario? If I buy from a local dealer in Colorado, I understand the TT would be towed to the dealership from the factory just the same, but the PDI will at least be performed after the 1200 mile trip from the factory.

The dealer I purchased from will do a PDI before it gets delivered to me. I'm thinking to request it be delivered to one of their local service centers so I can have a PDI done there before taking it. Makes more sense to me to have PDI done after 1200 miles of bouncing down the highway at 70 mph.

Does anyone have any good advice on this who has been there done that?

GPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 12:21 PM   #2
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

What good is a PDI if you are not there to witness it?

Why not go pick it up yourself?

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 12:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
What good is a PDI if you are not there to witness it?

Why not go pick it up yourself?
I don't have time for a multi-day trip out to Ohio to pick it up. Also, with the deal I got I basically paid very little for delivery. My thinking was to meet them at the local service location for the PDI.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:59 PM   #4

It occurs to me, that the guy that tows it out to you, very likely is not qualified to give a PDI.....& the service center probably isn't interested, since you did not purchase from them......am I missing something??
Old 09-02-2018, 01:05 PM   #5
Site Team

If it's RVW, their delivery drivers usually do a good walkthrough.
You can PM one of the owners, Dave Durnell, since he is a member here and often personally helps out customers.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 01:10 PM   #6

what will you do if the PDI reveals problems? refuse delivery??? until who fixes them, the delivery guy???

I think you have bought from a respected and responsible dealer, but will have to get it delivered to you and that everything is OK on faith alone.

Good Luck...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 01:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
If it's RVW, their delivery drivers usually do a good walkthrough.
You can PM one of the owners, Dave Durnell, since he is a member here and often personally helps out customers.
Thanks for the tip. I can't imagine I'm the first customer to worry about this I was hoping to hear from some one that has done this before to learn how they went about it. I will go back to RVW to work out a solution but seeking advice on how to handle this.
Old 09-02-2018, 01:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
what will you do if the PDI reveals problems? refuse delivery??? until who fixes them, the delivery guy???

I think you have bought from a respected and responsible dealer, but will have to get it delivered to you and that everything is OK on faith alone.

Good Luck...
Of course I could refuse delivery. I may lose my deposit but that would be it. RVW has many local service centers near my location. My idea was to have it delivered to one of those locations and have the PDI done there while I'm present. If there are issues then they can fix them.

RVW talks about how their company is built on customer service so I don't see why this would be an issue.

Basically I just don't like the idea of the PDI being done in Ohio BEFORE it gets towed 1200 miles to it's delivery destination. If I bought the same Geo Pro from a local dealer, the Geo Pro would also be towed 1200 miles from Indiana to Colorado for delivery to the dealer, but at least the PDI would be done after that.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPCamper View Post
RVW has many local service centers near my location. My idea was to have it delivered to one of those locations and have the PDI done there while I'm present. If there are issues then they can fix them.

RVW talks about how their company is built on customer service so I don't see why this would be an issue.

I bought both my current 5'ver and my previous TT from dealerships in Colorado...the TT in Longmont, and my 5'ver in Loveland.

Both of those dealerships promised the moon and stars when it came to their service departments, but failed miserably when the time came for them to stand up to their promises.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:27 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:

I bought both my current 5'ver and my previous TT from dealerships in Colorado...the TT in Longmont, and my 5'ver in Loveland.

Both of those dealerships promised the moon and stars when it came to their service departments, but failed miserably when the time came for them to stand up to their promises.
A lot of people from Colorado buy from RVW and have been very happy.
Maybe you should have.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
Old 09-03-2018, 08:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
A lot of people from Colorado buy from RVW and have been very happy.
Maybe you should have.
Didn't realize that the site staff was allowed to fuel the flames around here...

That wasn't my point...and you know it!

I was trying to point out that the OP is blindly thinking that he will automatically get a good PDI from someone that doesn't have any skin in the game...

And for all he knows...he might just just get to pick up his RV from one of the dealerships I purchased from (they both have more than one in CO)!
Old 09-03-2018, 02:28 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Didn't realize that the site staff was allowed to fuel the flames around here...

That wasn't my point...and you know it!

I was trying to point out that the OP is blindly thinking that he will automatically get a good PDI from someone that doesn't have any skin in the game...

And for all he knows...he might just just get to pick up his RV from one of the dealerships I purchased from (they both have more than one in CO)!
Wasn't trying to fuel any flames, that's why I put a smiley face at the end. Wasn't a slam on you.
Because my post was only about RVW and how the majority of their customers are happy with how RVW does business. They have a different business model than most RV dealers.
Equalizer WDH
Old 09-03-2018, 02:57 PM   #13

Quote:

RVW does not use local dealerships for their service centers as far as I know. They use small independent RV repair shops. I don't think just randomly showing up at a local dealership and expecting them to do a PDI for me on a trailer I bought from RVW would make much sense.

To me, this sounds like a totally legitimate request to have PDI done at one of RVW's local service shops after the 1200 mile trip from Ohio. We'll see what they say about it tomorrow when I talk to them again.
Old 09-03-2018, 03:33 PM   #14

I bought from RVW almost two years ago, and I have to say that I was very nervous until I started using my trailer. So far I been very lucky and keep knocking on wood. The trailer was deliver to my home in California from Ohio without any problems.
pibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 03:45 PM   #15

What/who is this RVW that you speak of... ?

Edit:

Just did a google search and found their website, but they don't list their 'local' service centers...
Old 09-03-2018, 04:07 PM   #16

Does RVW really have service centers or are these locations that they are suggesting for service if you need it?

Correct me if I am wrong but I doubt they own or control these service centers.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 04:12 PM   #17
Site Team

Perhaps Dave Durnell (co-owner of RVW)will post some answers.
Equalizer WDH
Old 09-03-2018, 04:33 PM   #18

After much looking around I purchased our first RV from RVW sight unseen. It was easy, pleasant and an exciting experience. I knew nothing about travel trailers and PDI's. RVW performed the walk through prior to leaving their dealership and being delivered to California. Upon it's arrival I had a knowledgeable friend go over the trailer with me. As far as any fixes, just start a punch list and RVW will take care of finding a repair facility near you. I had a few minor fixes and one major fix due to a delimitation problem. RVW arraigned for the trailer to be sent back to the factory for the delam repair at no cost to me. I was amazed. My suggestion is once you receive the RV pay somebody to do the PDI with you. Good Luck
Steveinthehills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:42 AM   #19

We got our new Geo Pro delivered on Thursday from RVW. I'm happy to report everything went well. We had it delivered to a repair shop nearby my house and they checked everything out and helped me get my WDH installed.