Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2015, 08:40 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by family5 View Post
We're looking at hitches - hubby is wanting the equal-i-zer 2 point hitch.
Look at an Equal-i-zer (brand) 4 pt, Reese Straight Line Dual Cam, or Blue Ox Sway Pro. If you got the big bucks, get a Pro-Pride or Hensley.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:59 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
If I were you, I would 'buy' (seems your set on that), a unit that is one or two years old and is in prime condition.
X2 Most definitely! You might get lucky, but let someone else work out all the kinks and warranty issues.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:20 AM   #23

Quote:
I have met a lot of people from overseas that come on vacation here and do the same thing, but 99% rent a small motor home, No worries if it breaks they repair it you just put gas in it. They even have one way drop offs. I would look into the price of that for 2mos.
For the length of time they want the unit for and a unit that will sleep 5 people it would cost over $24,000 to rent a motor home. They could purchase an used TT for less and give it away at the end of the trip and still be money ahead.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:29 PM   #24

We found our 3 year-old Tracer for about 25% less than new units... A year later folks are still advertising them on CL & RVTrader for about what we paid, so I feel we got a good deal. However, the good used units are hard to find & sell fast. We were already working with our sales person when our TT arrived as a trade-up. Our sales person called & we bought our used TT before it ever made it onto their website...
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 04:36 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
For the length of time they want the unit for and a unit that will sleep 5 people it would cost over $24,000 to rent a motor home. They could purchase an used TT for less and give it away at the end of the trip and still be money ahead.
rent america 2400 per month, That's fully furnished. pot's, pans sheets and everything you just put gas in it. class C for for 5 people. Your talking 9000.00 for 4 months, might be less for long term. No where and tear on your TV and cost of WDH. If it breaks they give you a new one delv. or have it repaired. No hassle to try and sell it no deprecation. Find a motor home for 9000.00 to buy. Try to find a trailer that could meet there needs for 9000.00 and that they can tow with there TV. They said they had a 20,000 budget. I would be looking at rentals myself first.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 05:30 PM   #26

Quote:
rent america 2400 per month, That's fully furnished. pot's, pans sheets and everything you just put gas in it. class C for for 5 people. Your talking 9000.00 for 4 months, might be less for long term. No where and tear on your TV and cost of WDH. If it breaks they give you a new one delv. or have it repaired. No hassle to try and sell it no deprecation. Find a motor home for 9000.00 to buy. Try to find a trailer that could meet there needs for 9000.00 and that they can tow with there TV. They said they had a 20,000 budget. I would be looking at rentals myself first.
I can not find a web site for rent America but cruise America charges $4000/month plus mileage, they also charge extra for pot and pans ($100/month). They want to travel for 4 to 5 months with total charges for 5 month cost would be about $24000 with mileage charges. This is renting for the US in US dollars. The cost is about the same in Canada in Canadian dollars. Plus the OP would like to purchase the unit now and do some camping before the long trip. If I am reading the post correctly the OP is already in Canada and will be here for almost a year.

I found the Rent America site the RV for 5 adult for 5 months is $15,000 plus 2500 addition fees plus $4500 for unlimited mileage. The total cost is well over $20,000. If the OP was to purchase a used trailer for $20,000 use it for 5 months and then sell it for $18,000 the cost of the trailer would only be 2000 and he would not put $18000 of wear and tear on the TV.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:03 PM   #27

Caper: type in USA RV Rentals. I got 91 nights @ 64.00 per night 25' Class C , granted a older unit but thats a total rental of 7350.00. I wish them good luck in there vacation no matter what they do.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 01:02 AM   #28

Hi all,
Thanks again for the advice. We prefer a trailer as we intend to drive on average only 1-2 days/week then use our TV for day trips from the RV park. Also we needed a vehicle when we arrived so already own the TV- seems a waste to then hire a class C that isn't as easily taken to all the places we wish to go on day trips then return back to hook up again every night.

Thanks for the various models of TT recommended- some of those floorpans look great for our uses (but not considering hybrids or pop ups). We are definitely seeking a 2-3yo used trailer now.

In case some details in my original post were missed, - yes, we are already in Vancouver, if we buy a TT soon we will then use it for short trips until we set off on our big trip July to mid Nov (4+ months). We also don't necessarily need an urgent sale at the end of our trip as we have family in Vancouver who could help with a private listing. Our budget is really trying to minimise our loss to around $6000 (cad). We have around $20,000 we are willing to spend initially but certainly can't afford to 'lose' that amount on a trip (not with 3 young kids who need to be fed and housed in the future)!
cheers
family5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:10 AM   #29

There are many RV outlets in the Vancouver area and also on the Island. I have found that the dealers on Vancouver Island are usually lower in price. Might be worth checking their web sites. If you see several units you like make a day trip to visit several different dealers. Plus when you go to look take a video camera and tape the whole trailer with comments on what you like and dislike. Go home and review the pictures and compare trailers then decide what you like. If you can find an independent RV repair person he might go and inspect the unit before you make the final purchase (same as having a home inspection). Another web site to visit is Kijiji and see what is available for sale in your area. Sounds like an adventure that you and the family will remember for years to come. We just purchased a 2nd trailer this year. It is a 2003 and look new. The cost was only $5800 and have found similar units (same year, make and model) for sale in the US for $9000 and up. You have several month to search, take your time and pick what is best to you. You do not need a large unit because all you want is a motel room on wheels. For extra space you could purchase a portable screen room. The children could play inside the outside space even when it is raining. Plus it would be a place for you and your better 1/2 to relax after a long day of site seeing. Have a great time visiting Canada and post pictures of your travels.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:58 PM   #30

http://cheyennecampingcenter.com/rvs...f38fd86f8d8bee
Kuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:59 PM   #31

There ya go! Btw i bought my salem 2 years ago from these guys, and couldnt be more happier. Buy this for your trip, use it. After sell it for 8k, someone will grab it quick.
Kuba is offline   Reply With Quote