Old 09-02-2016, 04:07 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to pontiacdan45
Advise on changing horses

I need to understand what will happen if I talk myself into going from a fairly new 5er to a class C diesel.

I have a 2015 Rockwood signature ultra lite and my TV is a 2015 GMC 2500 gas.

So far no complaints about the trailer. It pulls easy and is perfect for the DW and the dog.

But my wife has some medical issues and may have to stop being as active. And, I'm not sure I want to continue with a TV and trailer if I don't have someone that can help with backing in, setting up and so on. On the other hand anything else will require care too. I have this mental image about the ease of stopping and taking a nap or having a sandwich or using the toilet. I'm 71 so stopping is something we do now every 2 hours or so. Plus there is the issue of needing a toad (or not).

And my wife would be able to use the bed and relax at any time.

I would really be interested in how class C owners feel about owning and driving a good sized C. Thank you.

2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra-Lite 8289 ws
2015 GMC Crew Cab 2500HD Gas:
pontiacdan45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 07:01 PM   #2

I am new to a class c and love mine. I am on other end of spectrum with DW and 4 dkids. I was torn between the 2 options and feel that I made the right move. It is just what you are speaking of. The ability to use restroom and sleep while on road is great. We actually do more, such as showers and cooing breakfast. Kids can watch movies and play video games. Once set up, it is not a big difgerence. The other major benefit is turtle shelling in rest areas and walmart just to get a few hours sleep.

2014:43 2015:44 2016:21+
msubryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 07:18 PM   #3
Georgia Frog Rally 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacdan45 View Post
I need to understand what will happen if I talk myself into going from a fairly new 5er to a class C diesel.

I have a 2015 Rockwood signature ultra lite and my TV is a 2015 GMC 2500 gas.

So far no complaints about the trailer. It pulls easy and is perfect for the DW and the dog.

But my wife has some medical issues and may have to stop being as active. And, I'm not sure I want to continue with a TV and trailer if I don't have someone that can help with backing in, setting up and so on. On the other hand anything else will require care too. I have this mental image about the ease of stopping and taking a nap or having a sandwich or using the toilet. I'm 71 so stopping is something we do now every 2 hours or so. Plus there is the issue of needing a toad (or not).

And my wife would be able to use the bed and relax at any time.

I would really be interested in how class C owners feel about owning and driving a good sized C. Thank you.
I'm not a Class C owner however I for one made the decision to go from a 5er to a tt due to my wifes issues. As for parking you will at times still need a spotter with a class C and then you need a toad. For now you have a TV that serves as your go to place vehicle . Yes our bathroom is assailable without putting slides out also. I'm a tad older than you and I really love the tt over having a Class C or A. Pros and cons are always there. Later RJD
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days booked for 2016--60 missed by 2
Days camped in 2016 58
Days booked so far in 2017 37
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 07:57 PM   #4
Lost in time

...and I thought this was going to be about horses... My wife would probably recommend Percherons. She raises them.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:06 PM   #5

I liked that. You cant fool mom. When I was younger I thought I was but found out "You can't fool moms"
Old 01-04-2017, 10:57 PM   #6

Changing horses

We love our 24s just for those reasons 1 my Dw has health issues and it is very handy and convient when duty calls also it is nice for her to use the bed or just sit in the back or move a bit
Old 01-04-2017, 11:47 PM   #7

The Class C always was an uncomfortable PIA for me so I went to a Class A. Much more comfortable. The only reason for both MHs was the only need to stop on the way to destination was fuel. The MH can be a bigger PIA to back up than the 5er and could not back with a toad. With 2 drivers we could go from the NE to S TX without stopping. Then came retirement and the 5er is the only way to go.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:13 PM   #8

Advise on changing horses

I went from trailer to Class C. Camped in trailer twice, upgraded a few things an lost almost half on the trade in at the dealership where I bought it.

As far as driving, it drives well, and handles well. I don't have a toad, but love being able to stop and use the rest room without getting out, and not having to get out in bad weather, if I want to stop and take a nap. The generator is handy so I don't have to worry about running the batteries down and I can use the A/C in summer or furnace in the winter.