Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 04:07 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsbad View Post
I decided to self-insure with a catastrophic plan. There are still some ACA compliant plans.

If you are in good health, there is no reason to pay $2200 a month. You could save $50,000 in cash over three years until Medicare kicks in.

Sadly here so few people have health insurance that the hospital has had 3 owners in 6 years. You get sick you go to the ER you get fixed up and off you go......................... no cost .........................

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply
Old 09-30-2017, 04:45 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Sadly here so few people have health insurance that the hospital has had 3 owners in 6 years. You get sick you go to the ER you get fixed up and off you go......................... no cost .........................
Many folks do not realize that their circumstances are not the same as others.
This is powder keg thread. Some just judge from the recliner of their choice. Wow this could end up not being civil. Just ask those that have lost everything they own to pay medical bills. Sad.
Wobbles is offline   Reply
Old 09-30-2017, 04:47 PM   #23

Oaklevel I agree with you.
This could be another banned topic. Lol...
Old 09-30-2017, 05:01 PM   #24

I spent most of the month in River Plantation campground, Pigeon Forge and for about 2 weeks I was surrounded by 6 Prevost MH, 2 of them brand new. I told my wife that I would not be able to sleep if I had that much money in an RV. Our 5th is small, but new and also totally paid for. Makes for good sleeping
Having lots of Fun traveling with my wife
old40ford is offline   Reply
Old 09-30-2017, 05:07 PM   #25

Not sure why banning would occur with this. Just food for thought for campers and camping. Must we only discuss things on which we agree?

I still contend that there is a ton of money in this country. I hear generalities that this belief is wrong, but I don't think it is. I don't even think anyone is truly poor here, truth be told, but that's another issue. I'm just saying that articles like the one I referenced are off base by implying that retirement is a far-flung fantasy for most everyone. It's not. Just look around.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply
Old 09-30-2017, 05:13 PM   #26
Wait till next year...

God bless my Depression Era parents, they instilled in me a paranoia of get rich schemes, had me open a savings account and get a bank book early(plus I have a penny pinching DW). Now though I never worked for the government or had a chance at a pension I could afford to pay cash for my MH. We're comfortable now and looking forward to spending every penny we saved
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply
Old 09-30-2017, 05:23 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by old40ford View Post
I spent most of the month in River Plantation campground, Pigeon Forge and for about 2 weeks I was surrounded by 6 Prevost MH, 2 of them brand new. I told my wife that I would not be able to sleep if I had that much money in an RV. Our 5th is small, but new and also totally paid for. Makes for good sleeping
I agree. In my life I have I have suffered from a lack of money and plan accordingly for the worst case. I would dearly love to have the nice stuff but manage my circumstances for that. I plan accordingly. I will not loose. I have had good fortune in my life but do not bank on it to continue. I am ranting now since since I have been lectured about a post I made responding to a member question about how I made a purchase. Just Pissed about another's comment on how I live.
If things keep going up, I will get a bigger TV and 5er. I will not roll over. Oh yah, would really love to have one of those high end units.
Going back to my roots, "Nobody has more fun than the poor folk."
Old 09-30-2017, 05:42 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Not sure why banning would occur with this. Just food for thought for campers and camping. Must we only discuss things on which we agree?

I still contend that there is a ton of money in this country. I hear generalities that this belief is wrong, but I don't think it is. I don't even think anyone is truly poor here, truth be told, but that's another issue. I'm just saying that articles like the one I referenced are off base by implying that retirement is a far-flung fantasy for most everyone. It's not. Just look around.
I'm not disagreeing with you but I can tell you from living and working where we do that is not the case but on a small scale. (In this area and others) I am glad that we are not in that boat but shockingly I have met many people that can not read or write even in this day and age.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 09-30-2017, 05:48 PM   #29

Didn't mean to be argumentative about any of it. I understand your points. I agree lots are not well off.

But I camped in Traverse City for about 10 days last month. McDonalds had signs begging for workers.........$12.00 an hour. I'm in Gulf Shores. "Now Hiring" signs are everywhere. They were in Georgia and South Carolina, too, last few weeks. Beach road in Gulf Shores and Orange Beach has thousands upon thousands of condo units.......and rental houses. Someone owns them. Someone rents them. Just one small area of earth. Same all up down every single coast.

High end vehicles sell first, and fast. High end RV's too. High end boats. Someone is buying.

I don't know a single family I'd consider starving or poor. And I live in one of the 'poorest' states. Homeless? Usually a choice. Sometimes not. I give to those in need, but to few 'organized' charities. Even the Red Cross has gotten some almost unreal bad press from those in recent hurricanes, by folks who watched them do some strange stuff. CEO makes a half mil. Life is skewed, I get that.

But back to the original point........scare tactics by writers saying "Old people can't afford to retire anymore" are bogus and b.s. and I still call poppycock on such articles.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 09-30-2017, 05:51 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
Many folks do not realize that their circumstances are not the same as others.
This is powder keg thread. Some just judge from the recliner of their choice. Wow this could end up not being civil. Just ask those that have lost everything they own to pay medical bills. Sad.
Hope not a power keg but my eyes were opened living here. My opinions have changed. The opioid abuse capital of at least Virginia maybe the east coast..........

Here in general if there is no heath insurance ya go to the ER and a huge number people walk and pay nothing because they have nothing............... As grandpa said ya can't get blood from a turnip...........

You should see what many people live in.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 09-30-2017, 05:55 PM   #31

Quote:
Hope not a power keg but my eyes were opened living here. My opinions have changed. The opioid abuse capital of at least Virginia maybe the east coast..........

Here in general if there is no heath insurance ya go to the ER and a huge number people walk and pay nothing because they have nothing............... As grandpa said ya can't get blood from a turnip...........

You should see what many people live in.
And I personally know several that "have nothing" that live quite well, compared to my years growing up. Not great, but ok. For sure ok to have nothing. Didn't want this to somehow morph into health insurance discussion (although I thought everyone was mandated to have it??). Just a general discussion of whether the majority of folks our age can afford to retire, or can't.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 09-30-2017, 06:10 PM   #32

Quote:
Didn't mean to be argumentative about any of it. I understand your points. I agree lots are not well off.

But I camped in Traverse City for about 10 days last month. McDonalds had signs begging for workers.........$12.00 an hour. I'm in Gulf Shores. "Now Hiring" signs are everywhere. They were in Georgia and South Carolina, too, last few weeks. Beach road in Gulf Shores and Orange Beach has thousands upon thousands of condo units.......and rental houses. Someone owns them. Someone rents them. Just one small area of earth. Same all up down every single coast.

High end vehicles sell first, and fast. High end RV's too. High end boats. Someone is buying.

I don't know a single family I'd consider starving or poor. And I live in one of the 'poorest' states. Homeless? Usually a choice. Sometimes not. I give to those in need, but to few 'organized' charities. Even the Red Cross has gotten some almost unreal bad press from those in recent hurricanes, by folks who watched them do some strange stuff. CEO makes a half mil. Life is skewed, I get that.

But back to the original point........scare tactics by writers saying "Old people can't afford to retire anymore" are bogus and b.s. and I still call poppycock on such articles.

Not considering you being argumentative, and yes someone is buying the high end vehicles, RVs, Boats but not everywhere, yes there are high end vehicle owners in this area but no dealers of them for over 60 miles, they are few and far between. But more people in our area are living like our neighbor.......................................... ...... notice the camper behind the house
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1780.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	311.7 KB
ID:	152962  

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 09-30-2017, 06:13 PM   #33

Quote:
And I personally know several that "have nothing" that live quite well, compared to my years growing up. Not great, but ok. For sure ok to have nothing. Didn't want this to somehow morph into health insurance discussion (although I thought everyone was mandated to have it??). Just a general discussion of whether the majority of folks our age can afford to retire, or can't.
Sorry to get off on health care yes you are mandated to get it or you can pay the penalty to the IRS which many many many do as it is much cheaper to pay the penalty. At $12 an hour they can not afford to buy the insurance.

Just trivia a waitress gets $2.60 an hour . They have to make their money from tips. In this area $1 per person tip is average. How can they retire.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 09-30-2017, 06:25 PM   #34

I am one of the lucky ones I suppose. I survived 22 years in the NYPD and I retired at the ripe age of 45. I was only able to do that because of a good pension plan, medical, dental and optical benefits until I am toes up. I am 48 now and work a great retirement gig(not hard work at all) 3 - 12 hour shifts a week and will do this until I decide I am done.
I am not rich by any means but can enjoy what I love to do. I live the simple life which helps a lot also. I honestly was scared to death to retire and wanted to stay but in this day and age retiring was a good choice in my opinion.
Everyone or most don't have the luxury to retire, it is scary.
TST 507 TPMS
2017 = 30 nights /
2018 = 7 nights
woodyrock1 is offline   Reply
Old 09-30-2017, 06:33 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerdog1 View Post
Fully agree Bob. If circumstances beyond one's control put you in a poor situation, I feel bad for you. However, I think MOST have only themselves to blame. New cars every year, expensive vacations, always having to have the latest & greatest gizmos. So many people I know lived like that, and it's time to pay the piper.

Tuckerdog1
And paying for there grandkids school. Per my CPA.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:45 PM   #36

Quote:
Sorry to get off on health care yes you are mandated to get it or you can pay the penalty to the IRS which many many many do as it is much cheaper to pay the penalty. At $12 an hour they can not afford to buy the insurance.

Just trivia a waitress gets $2.60 an hour . They have to make their money from tips. In this area $1 per person tip is average. How can they retire.

Again, not my experience. I know waiters making $75,000 a year. If I was a waiter and got $1 tips, I'd move, get a diff job, do something. They aren't expected to retire from such a job. It's supposed to be an entry level job.

$12 an hour plus overtime........and McDonalds does offer basic health insurance.

I am totally a "Personal Responsibility" person. In all matters. It never takes a village.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 09-30-2017, 06:57 PM   #37

Quote:
Again, not my experience. I know waiters making $75,000 a year. If I was a waiter and got $1 tips, I'd move, get a diff job, do something. They aren't expected to retire from such a job. It's supposed to be an entry level job.

$12 an hour plus overtime........and McDonalds does offer basic health insurance.

I am totally a "Personal Responsibility" person. In all matters. It never takes a village.
Again not arguing but......... here there are no chain restaurants except for fast foods and the jobs are few. No waitresses here making that kind of money. I have many friends working several restaurants to make ends meet. Two young ladies I know one is a single mom make $35.00 to $50 a day but only get a couple days a week so the employer does not have to buy insurance. The biggest job in this area is call centers and distribution. Both $10-$12 an hour jobs and if you can't keep up your gone...... Don't get sick or your gone........ No one retires from there................ I had never seen older employees laid off / let go and younger ones hired til I lived here. Hard to retire .......... and not much can be done about it.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 09-30-2017, 07:26 PM   #38

I have been very lucky. Uncle Sam paid for my college, taught me some very valuable skills in the nuclear field, so I worked in Nuclear Power Industry foe 33 years. I got out of the Army just when TMI-II had its accident, so I started there doing the clean up. And no I don't glow at night ( at least not any more). My wife worked as school teacher and we lived off of my salary and banked hers. The teachers here in NJ have a very good pension system with paid health care. We don't live a fancy lifestyle and have a Class C, so we are making almost as much per month as we did while working.
People just need to take the opportunities as they come by. Get a good education, work hard and save as much as you can and you will do alright.
radman is offline   Reply
Old 09-30-2017, 07:48 PM   #39
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

I'm retired and my goal is to have the last check written from my checking account bounce to the undertaker.
elind is offline   Reply
Old 09-30-2017, 08:07 PM   #40

I should be quiet but.......I have not been known to be........... For many retiring is hard at any age to save for. Some states make it even harder. I can speak about Virginia as I have lived and worked here for 37 years since I moved here.

Virginia as many states is a right to work state or an "employment at will state" this means more than this, but essentially an employer can hire and fire at will. No reason needed to be given. You go into work one day and your employer just has to say I no longer need your services. Happens every day. and employers are well aware of this. Most companies play fair but many do not............. You have the right to be paid for hours worked, and their are child labor laws............... and yes the Federal government has some labor laws on the books but the poor minimum wage or even a $12 an hour person has trouble fighting, proving and trouble hiring an attorney then do they really want a job back to be let go again. The employers know this and Virginia is not alone.

Most of us on this Forum are blessed and had decent jobs that we have or will be able to retire from but I personally do not see that being the majority out there.

I am not here to offend or argue with anyone about this but this is what I have seen daily for the past 25 years. Employees working into their 70s because they have to is not rare nor is it because they did not plan.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Closed Thread

Tags
ford, tire