Old 03-08-2011, 01:27 AM   #1
CampeRooo

Any full time google voice users?

Hi everyone,

Tonight I was laying in bed, unable to sleep, and this question popped into my head:

If I have a computer or Ipad with wi-fi access and I add on an optional internet service from a cell phone carrier, and sign up with google voice, why would I need to keep a cell phone...other than convenience?

For anyone who doesn't know what google voice is, it is basically an online phone...a.k.a. voice over ip. So essentually, you can make calls in the U.S. and to Canada for nothing, zero, zilch, nada. It also has voicemail, call forwarding, you get your own new phone number...in ANY area code, and you can have the voicemail sent to your email account or texted to another cell phone. All you need is internet access.

So if I'm paying $50 a month for cellphone service and let's just say another $50 a month for mobile internet access, why not just disconnect the cell and use google voice full time throught the computer or ipad? I'm really not that big of fan of talking on the cell phone all that long anyway.

So, I think I'm going to have to think about this for a while. What started it was the fact that I'm getting ready to purchase an Ipad and I'm trying to decide if I want just the wi-fi version or the version that allows me to use verizon or at&t as an internet connection as well as wi-fi capability. Price difference is about an extra $150, I think it was. But I can easily jusify that in 3 months of service by dropping a cell phone off the cell plan I have (currently have 2 phones on a $100\mth plan). This way, I have the best of both worlds...an ipad with (almost) constant internet access and a portable phone capability that I can use on it or any other computer for that matter.

Thoughts?

Thanks for listening...now maybe I can sleep. LOL

Joe

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:13 PM   #2
CampeRooo

Did a little recon this morning and I stand corrected. Google Voice does not replace a voice line, but rather helps to manage it. So...it is definitely not what I thought it was. However, it appears that a "local phone" account can be setup to use to make and take calls, but this looks a lot more involved than what I was thinking...so in short, this idea won't work. However, a skype account might work if both parties are registered to make a skype call. Nice part is, the new Ipad has two cameras, one for using with skype or any other software and the other is for taking photos. Ok, so there's a few kinks to work out, but I don't know why this wouldn't work similar to the "magicjack" or skype accounts. Still a thought in process....

Old 03-08-2011, 01:23 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to scubieman
You can use it has a home line.i mean replace it.

scubieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:29 PM   #4
CampeRooo

You can? Interesting, because in their help pages, it said that it was not a replacement for a mobile or land line. So if that's the case, then I might be on the right track still. Throw me a reference to that if you have one....I appreciate it.

Joe

Old 03-08-2011, 01:31 PM   #5
camping

I use Google voice as a second line. we have high speed internet and vonage. vonage is awesome,as long as we have internet we can take it with us when we travel, it will send us emails when we have messages, etc. we have had vonage for 4+ years now and highly recommend it. I've used Google voice for about 3 months now and so far I am happy. Google voice is free so go ahead and try it. I would look into it's ability to make 911 calls, as far as all the info showing up on the 911 operators screen.

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:35 PM   #6

Have not tried this but was write two days ago.

http://truvoipbuzz.com/2011/03/make-...mber-tutorial/

Old 03-08-2011, 01:59 PM   #7
JEN

Interesting...

2005 Ford F150 Lariat V8 5.4L
2011 Rockwood 2702SS
JEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:02 PM   #8

Alright. I have researched this some more. It apperas Gizmo5 which you need for this to work is no longer available. There is high high rumors that Google Voice is working on a VOIP solution. I believe this will happen just cause google voice has made great progress amount people and people using it.

I know there is ways to use a third party vendor to tie to google voice to make it VOIP(Voice Over IP). I am currently doing research.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:07 PM   #9

You can do this directly from Gmail with the voice plug in for google voice, see this link to set it up:
Google Voice Blog: Make and receive calls in Gmail

let me know how it works, i have it installed but have never tested it.

Update: I just tested this and it works fine, you need a headset with a mic for the pc, or a blue tooth if the pc supports it.

FYI, there are also ways to make phone calls over a WLAN connected to a smartphone, even if you stop the carier service, the phone will still connet to the local wireless (just like a pc) and then you can run a program like sipserver to make calls. A little technical to setup but i have that working and can point anyone to the blogs to do it.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:50 PM   #10
camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper_Lucy View Post
You can do this directly from Gmail with the voice plug in for Google voice, see this link to set it up:
Google Voice Blog: Make and receive calls in Gmail

let me know how it works, i have it installed but have never tested it.

Update: I just tested this and it works fine, you need a headset with a mic for the pc, or a blue tooth if the pc supports it.

FYI, there are also ways to make phone calls over a WLAN connected to a smartphone, even if you stop the carier service, the phone will still connet to the local wireless (just like a pc) and then you can run a program like sipserver to make calls. A little technical to setup but i have that working and can point anyone to the blogs to do it.
thats how I have mine set up. so far so good! I have 2 gmail accounts and both have gphones. one for me locally and another in CA. so my mom can call me and not get charged long distance fees.

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote